Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Warpig602: I use and prefer insulated boots for October and November Elk Hunting - in my opinion insulated boots are mandatory for serious Elk Hunting during this time frame.
During our lengthy early fall archery Elk Hunting seasons here in Montana I often use uninsulated boots BUT... my insulated boots are back in camp ready for use when inclement weather occurs.
And that occurs every other year or so.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Uninsulated with some space for thicker socks, but still able to move toes. good wool socks. Add in toe warmers as noted above. insulated overboots like a boot blanket if sitting still for long periods.

I spent all of my childhood with bad socks and 200-400 gr thinsulate insulated boots. Main reason I would get out of my tree stand early was toes so cold they hurt. Realized my feet were sweating when I would walk to the stand and then they just got colder and colder. I got to where I would wear running shoes to the stand and then put on my boots. Now I have uninsulated boots with good wool socks. key is to allow some room for you to move your toes. Boots too tight will cut off some of the circulation and make your feet colder. Toe warmers added on colder days. Overboots have been great for stand sitting. Even better was sitting in a blind with a small heater.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have uninsulated boots now. They were fine in early Nov elk hunting this year, of course it was unseasonably warm too. My next pair of boots will have light (200-400g) insulation.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
For the site where we all talk about being rifle loonies, I'm surprised there aren't a bunch of boot loonies like myself. I have a few pair of uninsulated boots (Schnee Beartooth Unins., Schnee Guide, Lowa Ranger) AND several pair of insulated (Schnee Beartooth Insul., Schnee Hunter Pacs). I like the ability to pick whatever boot would go best with the weather, as well as the added longevity by being able to rotate boots.

Mild and sunny: the pre-64 .308 and the uninsulated Beartooth
Cold and snowy: the Rem. Mtn guide 7-08 and the Schnee Hunter Pacs

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The last couple of seasons I could have gone with uninsulated with no trouble but we hunt in November sometimes over 10k altitude and I'd rather not whine like a little girl and wish for the truck. I have 400, 600 and 1000 gram Cabelas leather boots that are about the same age and are well broken in with one or 2 pairs of varying weight wool socks. They replaced 2 pairs of 800 gram Lacrosse that lasted several years.

I handle my feet being too hot much better than too cold. My first day elk hunting several years ago was in 10" of snow with leaking boots and it made a lasting impression.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Well, I couldnt decide so with the 20% off and free shipping from Cableas this week I ended up with a pair of Cabela/Meindl Perfekts 400gr, and Cabela/Meindl Ultralite insulated.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Always uninsulated for me when hunting out west.

Not to pick on this post, but only to use it as a spring board for a larger discussion... "hunting out West"? Does that mean New Mexico in September or Montana in November?

The original post doesn't allude to any state or month. Trying to answer the original question without specifics is kinda silly.

Here in the MT General Big Game Season I've hunted in -25*F weather. I sure as hell wouldn't want un-insulated boots in that weather.

So the answer would be, "it depends."

In general, I think an insulated boot is a smart move.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tend to agree but don't even think its location specific. I've hunted in 22 below in Colorado during 4th elk season, 12 below in second season Colorado, and 70 degrees in Colorado in the first season. Most years it runs 15-20 in the AM, 40-45 in the PM. For me, I always take 2 pair boots - 400 gr and uninsulated. I wear the 400 gr most of the time because I do alot of sitting and watching glassing in the PM. If I'm covering ground looking for elk, the uninsulated go for the walk, plus they tend to be lighter weight. If I'm backpacking I take whichever pair will cover the temps while I'm out. Can't go wrong with 2 pair Meindls - one insulated, 1 uninsulated.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill, as a "30-06" choice (all-around), I generally use a 400 gram Thinsulate boot.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=drakecasey]For the site where we all talk about being rifle loonies, I'm surprised there aren't a bunch of boot loonies like myself. I have a few pair of uninsulated boots (Schnee Beartooth Unins., Schnee Guide, Lowa Ranger) AND several pair of insulated (Schnee Beartooth Insul., Schnee Hunter Pacs). I like the ability to pick whatever boot would go best with the weather, as well as the added longevity by being able to rotate boots.

Yup, I've got two pairs of Lowa Renegades to alternate days on so one is alway dry and warm and some schnees for really nasty snow/cold and some of the old original Vasque Sundowners for warm dry and....

Mild and sunny: the pre-64 .308 and the uninsulated Beartooth
Cold and snowy: the Rem. Mtn guide 7-08 and the Schnee Hunter Pacs [/quo

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take 'em both and weather dictates. If I'm in snow, then insulated boots. No snow, then my regular boots.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Always uninsulated for me when hunting out west.

Not to pick on this post, but only to use it as a spring board for a larger discussion... "hunting out West"? Does that mean New Mexico in September or Montana in November?

The original post doesn't allude to any state or month. Trying to answer the original question without specifics is kinda silly.

Here in the MT General Big Game Season I've hunted in -25*F weather. I sure as hell wouldn't want un-insulated boots in that weather.

So the answer would be, "it depends."

In general, I think an insulated boot is a smart move.
I've hunted "out west" in nothing but uninsulated boots. Those hunts have ranged from pronghorn in Sept to mountain goats in November. If I'm able to do much moving/hiking I've not found them to be a problem. If funds allowed, I'd have an insulated pair as well, but for me the uninsulated covers more seasons.

Last edited by pointer; 03/21/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 64 invisible), 3,046 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.