Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Thinking I can get away with uninsulated boots with wool socks. Don't seem to get cold feet when I'm moving around.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Always uninsulated for me when hunting out west.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've tried a couple of different insulated boots and I can't find a pair that fits properly enough to actually do any serious hiking.

If there's snow on the ground, I wear a pair of Kennetreck Hardscrabble boots and gaiters.

If there's no snow, I wear a pair of Oboz Bridger BDry boots.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not me

I spend way to much time glassing

400 and 600 gram is what I like

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Insulated for me. It drops down below 0 sometimes during our elk season here and snow on the ground. Insulated boots help to keep the feet warm... JMHO...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Not me

I spend way to much time glassing

400 and 600 gram is what I like

Same here.

Before insulated I had to start a small fire a couple of times to thaw the toes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by warpig602
Thinking I can get away with uninsulated boots with wool socks. Don't seem to get cold feet when I'm moving around.
I do! Have yet to really need insulated boots hunting out West. If I get cold I just move for a bit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think the key words in the OP are "when I'm moving around."

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wear Kenetrek Hard scrabbles, the wife wears a Lacrosse 600 gram insulated boot because she gets cold easy. The last three years have been warm so has been a nonissue. This past year I was done my hunting on Sept. 16th and it was 70 that day. Sweat like an unpaid forced worker ( slave) getting one in the truck. Situations change fast and temperatures even faster........

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
I think the key words in the OP are "when I'm moving around."

Apparently he'll never stop moving........

I use 2-400 gr as a compromise and depending on how cold it will be at daylight and dusk when I'm usually not moving. You're not going to sit long at 15-20 degrees with non-insulated boots. If it's early season,yes non-insulated in all situations.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To each his own, IMO dawn ans dusk are some of the best times to be moving unless you have eyes on animals.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have spent the last 5 days hiking/hunting around Salmon, Id. Lots of snow and temps as low as 7* f. My Salomon 4d GTX boots,Smartwool sox and OR Croc gaiters have been perfect while hiking or sitting and calling for up to an hour. My wife is using Lowa leather GTX boots and has had no problems. Whatever you choose size to fit w/ great sox and a thin wicking liner. Good gaiters make a huge difference as does thoroughly drying sox and boots, if possible, every night.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My current boots have 200 grams of thinsulate and my previous ones had 600 grams. I can't tell the differance warmth wise between the two. If it gets below 20 degrees or so without constant movement I break out the Schnees pack boots.
Everyone is different though. My feet get cold pretty quick.
And as the poster above mentioned try to dry your boots and socks out every night.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/25/17.
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Well I have both insulated and non in varying weights from 2.5-6lbs a pair. Was mainly trying to get the extra weight of my feet that comes along with the insulation. Perhaps it doesn't weigh that much but the boots I currently have definitely have a direct correlation with weight/insulation increase.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Two items not mentioned above are liner socks and toe warmers. Some years ago, my backpacking and hiking enthusiast sister-in-law told me about liner socks, generally light wicking socks worn under a heavier insulating sock. The idea is they wick away sweat and also prevent blisters. Having tried them, I agree.

This past November deer season in New York State I used toe warmers for the first time. It doesn't seem to matter how much insulation my boots have, my feet still get cold when I sit. Toe warmers cured that problem.

Another bit of gear to consider is vapor barrier socks. I have a pair but have never used them. The reason I bought them is my feet are sweaty and my socks and boots get wet after a day of walking around in the woods. The problem becomes wet boots for tomorrow's hunt. I was able to use a boot dryer this past season as we stayed in a cabin with electric power. When I hunted Colorado in 1989 and 1991, we camped in a tent. My wet boots were pretty uncomfortable in the morning! The second time out, in 1991, I switched outer socks at noon to keep my boots from getting wet inside. I also had a spare pair of boots on that trip.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use 400 gram. They are plenty warm for most conditions, but don't roast you when it is warm, either.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
400 gram Kennetreks in early seasons and 1000 gram same in later seasons. Gators are always included, even on dry hunts. I cover 10-15 miles per day in my elk units. Solid, well insulated boots are required when I may end up 10 miles back at sunset and don't want to waste time hiking out only to come back in the am. Good, heavy wool socks with liners round out the set up and make over-nighting comfortable, especially with my wool shirts and German Army surplus pants.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Two items not mentioned above are liner socks and toe warmers. Some years ago, my backpacking and hiking enthusiast sister-in-law told me about liner socks, generally light wicking socks worn under a heavier insulating sock. The idea is they wick away sweat and also prevent blisters. Having tried them, I agree.

Good point. I bought Smartwool liner socks last year and used them all hunting season. I bought 2 more pairs at Christmas - they work great at keeping the feet dry.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I use 400 gram. They are plenty warm for most conditions, but don't roast you when it is warm, either.

This. I have uninsulated and 400 grams in camp at all times. Use varies with conditions. Not that hard to figure.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 36 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.