Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GAZ32 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
My first safari started at a beer fest that I went to back in June. There was a silent auction for an RZA hunt and a minimum $1000 bid. My buddy and I talked about it for a few minutes and I wrote my name in... for the minimum of course.

I was the only one who bid, so I won by default.

I booked my trip for April 1-10 with my quarry being kudu, gemsbuck, zebra, impala, and blesbuck. Though if I see a trophy bushbuck or waterbuck I'm probably going to shoot.

I'm bringing my mountain rifle. A Tikka T3 lite in 300WM with some hand loaded Nosler ETIPs over H1000.

A safari had always been on my bucket list, but only being 27, I was planning on getting some more Western, CONUS hunts in first. But... opportunities like this don't come often.

I have everything lined up as of now... does anyone have any last minute advice?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take lots of photos. Enjoy the South African wines & sunsets. I tipped the housekeeping staff the 1st day, they treated me like a king for the whole trip. Don't pack many clothes, they usually have laundry service everyday. They even ironed my underwear.

If you can work in a trip to Kruger, do it. I enjoyed the park more than the hunting.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pack fewer clothes and more money!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Practice shooting from a standing tripod. Go to Home Depot and buy some poles, lash them together, and get used to using them.

Don't go with too high powered a scope--most shots with be close.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
A backpack comes in very handy for your binos, camera, extra jacket and such. Enjoy yourself, you never know if you'll get the chance to go back....you will want to go back.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As some have said, practice, practice, practice with your rifle. Shoot off sticks - get comfortable getting on the sticks, getting safety off, setting height, aiming, and smooth trigger pull. I forgot to take the safety off a couple of times on my first trip.

Also, train yourself to reload immediately after shooting and get back in the scope - don't stop, admire the shot, and then your PH says...reload, reload!

If you are in reasonable good condition and can walk, and you can shoot your rifle accurately, you are covering the main thing you are responsible for - your PH will get you on game, you need to be ready, smooth in gun handling (and SAFE) and able to shoot accurately.

Welcome to a great adventure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On the trip, before you get there. Have your ammunition packed in more than one piece of luggage. That way if the airline loses some of your luggage, you'll still have ammunition.

And welcome to the fire.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Are you just hunting or site-seeing too? What airline are you taking? Will you have to overnight in JNB?

(1) Take lots of $5, 10 & 20 for "tips" really bribes. (2) Buy the shooting sticks that you are going to use on the trip and practice with those. And when you think you have practiced enough, practice more. (3) Make sure your credit and debit cards have chips.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 02/25/17.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Go to learn. Then don't be an expert on Africa ("know-it-all") Taxidermy is as much as a safari and can ruin the experience. Enjoy the hunt separately. Pictures are all you'll have for a year afterward...

G
GAZ32 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Lots of good advice! I'm going to have to invest/make some sticks. My shoulder is already pretty bruised from shooting haha.

I'm planning on bringing my camera gear for some awesome landscape and fauna photography. I was going to do Kruger, but my wife isn't going- and we have our long overdue honeymoon in NZ at the end of the year. So I decided to save my money for that. We'll be back to Africa though.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
One thing I can tell you is to start shooting a lot with your rifle and ammo and NEVER let it touch a rest after you get it zeroed.

Shoot at target about the size of clay-birds at various ranges from 10 yards out to about 150 yards, but learn to get the shot off in 5 seconds and less. NO shots are to be counted except the hits but you should not focus on the hits. Concentrate on the misses. Annalise EVERY miss and teach yourself to overcome any shortcomings.

If you are given cross stick over there, and you want to use them it only makes the shot easier but it does slow you down however.

I do NOT recommend using a rest for practice.

Shoot from field positions and learn to get into and out of them fast and efficiently. Remember, group shooting is a way to fool yourself. One shot/one hit at a 4 inch target in 5 seconds or less, every time, will never let you down.

5 shots touching at 200 yards from a rest in 2 minutes is of little value in the fields of Africa.

Next I would tell you to get a GOOD set of compact binos.

Bring a small well made pack. The best ones are made of material that is not noisy.

Do not forget sun glasses and a hat.

Bring a water bottle.

Bring a flash light with extra batteries.

You will also find that a set of well fitting leather gloves is a welcome thing to have.

And a Swiss Army Knife with all the goodies to carry come in very handy for many things, the least of which is cutting things.
Good hunting GAZ32 and good luck

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
And don't forget Chap stick. Comes in handy.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Better have lots of money if your hunting all them animals. Are you getting some mounted?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Take some hard candy like Lifesavers and some gum for the drivers/trackers. They love the stuff. The leather glove rec is a great one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
GAZ32 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Dang, there are a lot of small things that I didn't think of...

Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Better have lots of money if your hunting all them animals. Are you getting some mounted?

My top end budget is $10k for just the animals. The ones I listed I got in a package for $7500, so theres a bit of wiggle room.

I would like to get the kudu and gemsbok on a pedestal mount, but I move around every 2-3 years, so all of them will be euro mounted for simplicity. I already have a 170 class whitetail that has a bare spot in the hide from the movers. My wife thinks that regular mounts are like dolls for men... Can't say I disagree with her.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome sir. It sounds like you are in the care of experts, and clearly the product of experience.
Be sure to give us the synopsis of trip when you return. I'm sure it will prove interesting reading.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GAZ32

My top end budget is $10k for just the animals. The ones I listed I got in a package for $7500, so theres a bit of wiggle room.

I would like to get the kudu and gemsbok on a pedestal mount, but I move around every 2-3 years, so all of them will be euro mounted for simplicity. I already have a 170 class whitetail that has a bare spot in the hide from the movers. My wife thinks that regular mounts are like dolls for men... Can't say I disagree with her.

Plan on spending 2x the cost of your hunt, including shipping and taxidermy, if you intend to mount everything you shoot.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Take a good digital camera or teo. Take lots of pictures of everything especially animals. Spend lots of time with your trophy pictures; most PHs are very good with this.

Consider euro mounts and spend more money on hunting and less on taxidermy. Have some of the hides tanned to leather and have products make at home. My first batch of leather went into 3 briefcases and a purse. The second batch is being made into 2 purses a backpack and 3 carry on bags. When the third batch arrives hopefully into boots.

Just my thoughts.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by GAZ32

Are you at Cannon? I think I recognize this story from another website.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,954 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.