Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I seldom buy much from RIA anymore because any Savage 22 is usually grouped with several of other makes, like this very late 1905 that I woulds have liked to have, it's a very late production with the No 25-B windage adjustable rear sight instead of the No 21 micrometer. It was actually nicer than the description suggests - .rockislandauction/detail/4475

Also they usually have very poor & limited descriptions and pictures for the regional auctions, with many guns looking worse when viewed in person.

They did lot three Savage slide actions together that I thought were very nice compared to much of the auction and what you normally will find in a regional. A Model 29, a 29-B & a 1914. I was really only interested in the first one, the Model 29 with the early three point checkering, with their description of the finish being "OC - FINE: all original parts; over 30% original finish. WW - wood is worse for the percentage finish rating given". The lot went much higher than I expected, but so had everything else that sold earlier that I had interest in... so... - rockislandauction/detail/4480

I am not good at estimating finish percentages but I think it does actually have over 30% original finish as they described... and maybe the wood is a little worse...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Model 29 has the the early changes for Hi-Speed ammunition with the early lifter design - (added - I still would only shoot standard velocity in any Model 29, later 29-A's & B's are different.)
[Linked Image]

I think the 29-B is from 1961, the date code is hard to read but appears to be a 16 followed by an 'M' with one leg broken off the stamp, barrel address is still Chicopee Falls but I don't know if any ever had a Westfield address -
[Linked Image]

The 1914 has had the stock completely refinish - these stocks almost always crack so I assumed I would find a repaired crack, not the case, so I do not know why someone refinished it. Even if they are cracked I would just do a little as possible to stabilize it and leave as much of the original finish on it as possible - they usually crack on the bottom of the wrist where any repairs will not be a major eye sore... like a complete refinish often ends up being. (This stock does have some tight cracks starting.) The numbers on the stock & buttplate do not match the receiver, they are 47765 and the receiver is 46765 - with only one digit different I think it's possibly just a stamping error. The buttplate is quite rusted so the gun may have been standing up and got water damage, another possible reason for the refinished stock.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 02/24/17. Reason: corrected 1905 sight info, added note on use of Hi-Speed

Gene
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say you did alright on the condition of those Gene aside from that butt plate on the 1914. The early 29 looks really good.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gene what model would be the one that you can use high velocity ammo in, the 29?

So I should really stick to standard or match ammo in the model 25?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Even though this 29 has the changes they made for use with Hi-Speed, I still advise only using standards velocity in them, as with the Model 25's, which were made prior to the introduction of Hi-Speed. I edited a note about that into the first post.

Gene
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Beware !!!!! RIA...... Beware!!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gene, your 29 is in the 130xxx serial range (1935-1936?) and has some HiSpeed parts. Do you have a feel for when the part change started? Were the parts original or added?

About 140xxx Savage 29 changed to the 2 point checkering. This ran till around 150xxx then numbering started over with the 29-A. At what point would you say is safe to shoot HiSpeed?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well crap, now I want a Model 7 and 29. Nice 22s!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...and a 23AA is a great .22 bolt gun. Better have one of them, too. wink

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Got that one covered as well as a 23A, 19 and 19-33. I had a 23D but that's a long story....

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

GeneB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rick99
Gene, your 29 is in the 130xxx serial range (1935-1936?) and has some HiSpeed parts. Do you have a feel for when the part change started? Were the parts original or added?

About 140xxx Savage 29 changed to the 2 point checkering. This ran till around 150xxx then numbering started over with the 29-A. At what point would you say is safe to shoot HiSpeed?

I think the changes for Hi-Speed were made sometime in 1931, I have some notes on that somewhere but I can't locate them right now. The changes only addressed supporting the head & rim of the case better and did not increase the locking surfaces any, so, unless they started using stronger steel the later guns were no stronger than the early ones, so I still suggest using only standard velocity in any Model 29, I have seen several 29's with damaged locking surfaces in the receiver. (The 29-A & B were a different stronger design.)

I have one 29 in the 135,0xxL range that has three point on the stock and does not have the bottom of the forearm checkered, so I think the change on the forearm came first, condition does not suggest anything has been changed. My first two point is 1398xxL.

The highest Model 29 actioned guns I have are house brands, a 'Springfield Repeater' #1499xxK, and a 'Keystone' for E. K. Tyron Co. #1482xxK. The highest Savage labeled I have is #1449xxL.

I should be noted to anyone thinking the serial numbers reflect the number of guns made that the preceding digit was added early on jumping the serial numbers so actual production is around 100,000 less than the serial numbers would suggest.

IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.