Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Girdle....

Hit 'er in the girdle!

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sooooooo...its now a " Texas Girdle Shot"....?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Poobs, thanks for the clarity.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

How bout a "Vegas Girdle shot ?" Sounds more fun and interesting.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pelvic Girdle shot........ some people can dress up anything!!!!!!!!

I guess in this day and age, Ass shots and Gut shots are too much for the sensitive types.....

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe

I've been guilty of that shot myself, but not on purpose....

SamO, you're crackin' me up dude....,keep it up!

Last edited by JGRaider; 02/21/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Girdle....

Hit 'er in the girdle!

The old girdle punch.

Gets em everytime...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used to know a guy who was a real ladies man. He was always talking about girdle shots.

He liked big broads, so they were likely wearing girdles....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There is nothing wrong with a fat girl! Never let your friends see you with one. They give you crap forever!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
I started to say, big bull bison, but then I remembered that I had killed one of the biggest bulls that I have ever seen--with my .30-06 and a 180-grain Partition. One shot. A long time ago. grin

Did he drop right away, or stand there for a few minutes?

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Tracks
The partition is the bullet that all the others claim to be, but as someone said, the Bear Claws might be right.

Love both the Partitions and the old recipe TBBC's. Have no use for the newest iteration. That being said, give North Forks a try. You will LOVE them. Everything the old TBBC was except less fouling and unbelievable accuracy. Incredible terminal performance.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by mudhen
I started to say, big bull bison, but then I remembered that I had killed one of the biggest bulls that I have ever seen--with my .30-06 and a 180-grain Partition. One shot. A long time ago. grin

Did he drop right away, or stand there for a few minutes?
He stood there for maybe five or six seconds and then dropped to his carpals ("front knees," for the unwashed among us grin ) and rolled over on his side just as I was getting ready to shoot a second time.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wish we could still get the old Bear Claws.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hanco
I wish we could still get the old Bear Claws.

Need some? I have some 30 caliber, 180 and 200 grain bullets. PM me if interested.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone on this forum once denigrated my bullet choices (North Fork SS in particular) for not having a high enough B.C. to make them worth using. Considering they work out to well beyond where most people shoot, that seems to me to be a stupid argument - but if one wants to essentially argue that a bullet's most important characteristic is it' B.C., Partitions could be faulted for not having the high B.C. values some other bullets have.

A more logical reason for me is one of accuracy. If a bullet doesn't provide the accuracy needed or wanted then I wont use it. Never had a problem with Partitions, though, except the 170g RN in my .30-30.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If bullets with a high BC kill just as well as others, why in the wide wide world of sports would you not use them?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably because it annoys millennials wink Or maybe the vast majority of hunters don't shoot at extreme ranges.

Gerry.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by starsky
If bullets with a high BC kill just as well as others, why in the wide wide world of sports would you not use them?

Do you prefer the thrill of victory....

Or the agony of defeat?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by starsky

There are multiple reasons one might choose a lower B.C. bullet:

1. Cost
2. Accuracy
3. External ballistics
3. On-target performance

The first two are pretty self explanatory.

External Ballistics. A higher B.C. does not guarantee a flatter trajectory. Often the higher B.C. bullet weighs more, starts out slower and, in terms of trajectory, retained energy and velocity, may not overtake the bullet with the lower B.C. until way past where the shooter is willing to take a shot - if ever.

On target performance. Bullets with different construction often behave very differently after impact. Those that essentially self-destruct can provide DRT results but I don't trust them to penetrate on bad angles. Bullets that hold together and "kill just as well as others" can be generally be relied on to provide better penetration on bad angles. Bullets that come apart can destroy a lot of meat unnecessarily - bullets that hold together often do less such destruction.

Every hunter has to choose their bullets. Some put little or no thought into the selection process other than cost. Others put a lot of thought into it and select based on a combination of factors. Most people are probably in-between those extremes. You're probably aware I prefer to plan for the worst and work for the best and that, accordingly, I prefer bullets that hold together, even if that means a lower -- but high enough -- B.C.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is alot more to bullets than BC. Given equal on-game performance I'll agree with your statement ; therein lies the rub. I've shot more than a few animals at distances measured in feet. Two elk just last year; one at 50 yards, one at 30 feet. I'd suggest running the ballistics of Nosler partitions against the high BC bullets. There is practically no difference until you get beyond 500 yards.

Regardless of what people seem to think bullets start dropping like rocks after about 400-450. Then there is that pesky little thing called wind. Slipperier bullets fight the wind better - but whats that gain you 2-3-4-5 extra inches beyond 500 yards? When your bullet is already blown off track 6-10 inches the fact remains you still need to compensate for the wind. If you can lob your bullet into the target correcting for 6-10 inches of wind drift, you certainly should be able to correct for 8-15 inches.

Which brings me to the reason why I'm not a fan of shooting beyond 500 yards - how many animals are wounded and lost because someone mis-read the wind. To hear it told on the Fire, there isn't any. Which is BS.

I respect the opinions of others that see it different but I know what works for me and my style of bunting. I'll stick with bullets that perform up close and as far as I'm comfortable with shooting. Seems to have worked for 40 years give or take.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 18 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.