Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
At present I'm refurbishing a 8x57 Gew.98 that has been previously sporterized. I'm pretty much down to stock choice as I already sold the cut down military stock that was on it. Going back and forth between two options right now.

1. Vintage Bishop/Fajen stock, would be "period correct" for the the end result I'm aiming for.

2. New "Classic" styled stock from Richards or Boyds. Would be easier and still look good, could be finished with some bone carbon and Formby's to get pretty close to the "vintage" walnut look.

Let's assume cost is about the same.

What do you think?

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would use the Boyd's Platinum. Same as Classic but not laminate.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love my Boyd JRS stocks. I'm very disappointed in boyds. I noticed it was not on the website. I understand discontinuing models, but when I called the person was clueless. She didn't know the stock nor obviously what replaced it. She didn't seem willing to help, other than for me to check their website. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Most likely the "JRS" is called the "Classic" now.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
The JRS is discontinued. The closest I think is the platinum which is the Classic with the thinner more oval fore end vs the wide round one on the Classic.

The Classic has a wide fore end more suited to bench rest shooting than off hand shooting like a good hunting stock ought. I have a JRS Classic in upgraded French walnut that I sent to Karnis. It feels like a Kimber 84M Classic Select stick to me. Plus it's stunning.

Too bad they ended the JRS Classic. My understanding is that Jon R Sundra came up with the design and they got sick of paying him royalties. I could be wrong but I heard that somewhere.

Anyway to the OP's question if you're up for class A treatment I'd do a semi inlet Boyd's Platinum in upgraded walnut. Find someone who'll do ebony end- & grip-caps, good recoil pad, and refine the shape of the exterior taking off the excess wood.

I had that done with the JRS mentioned above and it's a STUNNING piece fitting a Mauser rescue. That rifle, a 6.5x55, will be ready to shoot and hunt soon. Photos as well; for now these will have to do:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good luck w/ the build!

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by efw
The JRS is discontinued. The closest I think is the platinum which is the Classic with the thinner more oval fore end vs the wide round one on the Classic.

The Classic has a wide fore end more suited to bench rest shooting than off hand shooting like a good hunting stock ought. I have a JRS Classic in upgraded French walnut that I sent to Karnis. It feels like a Kimber 84M Classic Select stick to me. Plus it's stunning.

Too bad they ended the JRS Classic. My understanding is that Jon R Sundra came up with the design and they got sick of paying him royalties. I could be wrong but I heard that somewhere.

Anyway to the OP's question if you're up for class A treatment I'd do a semi inlet Boyd's Platinum in upgraded walnut. Find someone who'll do ebony end- & grip-caps, good recoil pad, and refine the shape of the exterior taking off the excess wood.

I had that done with the JRS mentioned above and it's a STUNNING piece fitting a Mauser rescue. That rifle, a 6.5x55, will be ready to shoot and hunt soon. Photos as well; for now these will have to do:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good luck w/ the build!

Been going over Boyds designs/options. I think the Platinum is basically the same design you have there, looking like a winner to me. Probably do the tip/grip myself. Need to finish paying Rick for a couple McMillans for the "twin" 270 rescue first...the struggle just never ends...

Last edited by CowboyTim; 02/22/17.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice job, EFW.

I'm liking Walnut Grove Stocks these days, if I don't feel like working from scratch (which is most of the time anymore!). I'm working up one of their classic stocks for a .30-40 Krag sporter at present.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I live an hour away from Warsaw where Bishop and Fajen use to be made , you can still find them around . Try Fred Wenig, he use to work for one of them . He has a real nice website also .

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nice job, EFW.

I'm liking Walnut Grove Stocks these days, if I don't feel like working from scratch (which is most of the time anymore!). I'm working up one of their classic stocks for a .30-40 Krag sporter at present.

Thanks I can't take credit though; Karnis did the shaping and a guy in Cwntral Michigan did the checkering. All I did was finish it.

I like Walnut Grove also. I have a Mexican SR Mauser barreled action on which I've spared no expense nearly finished (8 yrs later) and I would love one of their higher grade stocks in American Classic for it. All the have is Euro Classics... I may just have to email them and see if they "take requests" so to speak?

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.