Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I found this buck when I was out at an area where I hunt.

It always bums me out when I find a nice buck dead that would've been a real contender come fall.

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Do you know what killed him?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A couple years back and about 3 days after the rifle season.
[Linked Image]
Not supposed to pick these up, but it was gone the next day.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This happens way to often here in NY and PA. The archery guys leave a few, then more are added during the gun season. Been this way for a long time.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Do you know what killed him?

No I don't. I have noticed, or at least it seems to me, that there's a lot more coyotes around than in years past.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
coyotes take the blame for lots of stuff.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rost495

Yes, and quite a bit of it is deserved. That said, coyotes have to eat to, and they are not very picky about what the next meal will be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We keep shooting coyotes and more keep popping up. Its like whack a mole. If a guy has time, investing in a caller and spending time chasing coyotes can only help the deer populations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by k22hornet

Yes, and quite a bit of it is deserved. That said, coyotes have to eat to, and they are not very picky about what the next meal will be.

Other than fawns, most of what they eat was dead from cars/hunters already. A yote isn't taking down a healthy mature buck without lots of help.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Each fall Cookie spends around 3 weeks chasing deer with her cameras. Over that duration one becomes familiar with several animals exhibiting distinguishing characteristics, and begins to notice injuries affecting their ability to get around. Any sort of a gimp, and that animal us usually gone in a few days.

This past fall there was an injured fawn that coyotes singled out for pursuit in three instances that we witnessed. It stayed near a small river, and would run into knee deep water when the coyotes gave chase. The dogs seemed unwilling to take it on in the water. It too eventually disappeared, and we subsequently noticed birds working a thicket on nearby ground we could not access.

The coyotes for sure hit newborns, but if they notice any sign of weakness at other times, it most certainly gets their attention.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/28/17.

1Minute
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
You might run a metal detector and find a bullet nearby.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We hang treble hooks with a steel leader from trees about 4 feet off the ground. Bait with hamburger. We catch quite a few that way. Anyone ever tried that?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by k22hornet

Yep they eat about anything. Generally they can't or won't get deer here unless they are compromised. Even then I see compromised deer that never get taken down.

In our area they get tons of blame and actually kill very few deer. Vehicles take many many more deer in our area.

YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Killed a 200 lb pig Sunday, went back yesterday. There isn't a piece of pig anywhere. I couldn't see any drag marks, no sign of ground disturbance anywhere. It like he was never there.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We have been getting some BIG coyotes around here for quite some time. Not getting into what is or isn't, but when you're seeing and killing coyotes nearly twice the size of 20yrs ago, something is up and they're more physically capable than previously.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We had a problem with Coy/Dogs where I lived and they even attacked a good sized calf once. I have seen Coyotes running full grown deer in the hill country. In some areas we have some that have a fair amount of Red Wolf genes in them and these bigger ones will take down mature deer when they can. I have seen these in both East and South Texas.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
See that here with fawns and yearling deer. All meat and bones consumed or at least hauled away.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hanco
We hang treble hooks with a steel leader from trees about 4 feet off the ground. Bait with hamburger. We catch quite a few that way. Anyone ever tried that?

Very effective. Illegal in New Mexico

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
We had a problem with Coy/Dogs where I lived and they even attacked a good sized calf once. I have seen Coyotes running full grown deer in the hill country. In some areas we have some that have a fair amount of Red Wolf genes in them and these bigger ones will take down mature deer when they can. I have seen these in both East and South Texas.

In Franklin county Texas where I live there are some big Coyotes I've seen that I wondered if they had some Red Wolf in the woodshed.
I killed a very heavy coyote in 2015 that I did a double take before I shot because I thought it was a maybe a dog. I wished now I would have weighed it. The fur is shorter than most coyotes.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1911a1; 04/05/17.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.