Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500
48 gr RL-10 sparked by a CCI-250 primer under a 200 gr TTSX goes 2700 fps in Hornady brass at 2.800" in my Ruger all weather hawkeye.

It fires absolute consistent sub inch three shot groups at 100 yards, I wouldn't have concern of bullet expansion out to 400 yards or until velocities fall below 1800 fps, hunting elevations would dictate max yardage.

Gunner, I may have to give that sucker a try in my BLR. My current load is W748 and 225 PT's. Does about 2450 and hammers stuff pretty well, but I have really worked with the 358 in a few years. Might be time to break it out and give it a try.

I agree about the 358 hammering deer. Nothing much better in the deer woods in my opinion. I haven't had any problem running it out to 300 yards on 8" plates.. Seems to whack em pretty hard..

Hope your rifle likes it Beretzs, it's a hell of a load in the 358, not needed for deer of course, but I'm a one load for one riflee guy, much, much less complicated that way, I really like the 35 cal's too.

Trump Won!
HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm going to give it a shot Gunner. I like 10x and have plenty of it.

I'll have to order some of the 200 TTSXs.

How have they worked on deer and hogs Gunner. Good looking wound channels. Haven't messed with Barnes in awhile but the tipped version makes me feel a little better.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by marshland_max

I think accuracy is subjective. After spending lots of time and money chasing tiny groups I've gone to a different way of judging accuracy. It's all based on hunting or minute of deer as some say. What I do now after developing a good load that show potential accuracy during testing I load a bunch and hit the field and shoot steel.

I decide if a load is accurate enough for hunting by shooting from field positions out to 400 yards. If I have a hard time keeping a load on an 8 inch steel at 400 it is scraped. I shoot for kill shots now.....I have learned that if far more important than tiny groups. Also a rifle and load combo that does that constantly will do the same at 100 so 1 - 2 MOA is plenty for me.

Just my two sense

I agree...this is a 358 win for crying out loud. For me its going to be a 300 yard and in gun at the very most. I am happy with 1.5-2 MOA for most of my hunting rifles as I simply don't shoot game beyond 300 yards all that often. But when I get a new rifle I still work up loads with a few powders and bullets to see what it likes best and go from there. Usually something always shoots 1.5" or better @100 which is just fine with me.

I know right lol.

I have settled on the 225 Nosler Partition @ 2525 fps using TAC. I m going to start doing some fine tuning of the load, but overall its a good one.

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

How have they worked on deer and hogs Gunner. Good looking wound channels. Haven't messed with Barnes in awhile but the tipped version makes me feel a little better.

The 200 gr TTSX has left inch and a half diameter wound channels completely through every deer or pig I've hit with it, it's a rough customer buddy. smile

Trump Won!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I loaded some 200 SP Hornadys today, shoots about an inch high as its sighted in with 220 Sierra Game Kings, 52.0 grs. of TAC, very good groups! Almost hot though, 51.0 is awesome too!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The 200 gr TTSX has left inch and a half diameter wound channels completely through every deer or pig I've hit with it, it's a rough customer buddy. smile

Gunner

I used a 200gr TTSX (over TAC) in my .358 on a Manitoba bear last spring. Fastest bear kill ever for me. BANG-flop. Complete pass-through and very narrow wound channel.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Gunner

I used a 200gr TTSX (over TAC) in my .358 on a Manitoba bear last spring. Fastest bear kill ever for me. BANG-flop. Complete pass-through and very narrow wound channel.

WN

That's great intel. Gunner sent me some to try. Need to get some loaded up!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Gunner

WN

That's great intel. Gunner sent me some to try. Need to get some loaded up!

I'll be damned WN, I keep a box of rubber gloves close on hunts, after the shot and dressing i use the gloves to push the chum-goo out of the way to study the wound channels, with the gunk outta the way those holes looked every bit 1.5"s. crazy

I'll now need to shoot a black bear with my 358 so we can compare notes. grin

Hope you get sub inch groups like I do with that combo Beretzs, the little medium bore 358 barks [and bites] like a big dog so loaded. cool

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Just a little update, so far 2 loads have shined.

1st - 52 gr TAC with a Hornady 200 gr RN hitting 2684 fps easily. This is the most accurate 1/2 inch or less groups from my rifle

2nd - 49 gr TAC with Nosler 225 gr Partition hitting 2500 fps easily. This is a 3/4 inch load from my rifle.

I like both loads a lot. I m having tons of fun with the round nose though!

TAC is awesome!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

1st - 52 gr TAC with a Hornady 200 gr RN hitting 2684 fps easily. This is the most accurate 1/2 inch or less groups from my rifle

I really like TAC for this and hot 35 Remington.

Just an unrelated side note I found interesting compared to this load above - Some factory 460 S&W revolver ammo I pulled down also used 52gr of ball powder and a 200gr Hornady bullet, but in this case 52gr of what I suspect is H110. Pulling those loads down was an eye opener for me! Shooting them was too!

Last edited by Yondering; 02/23/17.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Yondering

Just an unrelated side note I found interesting compared to this load above - Some factory 460 S&W revolver ammo I pulled down also used 52gr of ball powder and a 200gr Hornady bullet, but in this case 52gr of what I suspect is H110. Pulling those loads down was an eye opener for me! Shooting them was too!

That is interesting, I was getting readings on that loads actually up to 2725 fps, but I was having trouble with my old "Chrony" again. I'd like to get an new set up I suspect my readings will be much better. But the standard deviation is 16 fps with an average of all shots 2684 fps. I can live with that for sure.

I'd like to get one of those magneto speed readers

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

That is interesting, I was getting readings on that loads actually up to 2725 fps, but I was having trouble with my old "Chrony" again. I'd like to get an new set up I suspect my readings will be much better. But the standard deviation is 16 fps with an average of all shots 2684 fps. I can live with that for sure.

How many shots for that estimate?

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mathman

30 rounds........ probably need to shoot 2 batches of 50 to really get the number right, but I don't spend a lot of time on Standard Deviation because sometimes its like chasing a ghost. At the end of the 30 shot sting that's the number my "Chrony" gave me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

30 rounds........ probably need to shoot 2 batches of 50 to really get the number right, but I don't spend a lot of time on Standard Deviation because sometimes its like chasing a ghost. At the end of the 30 shot sting that's the number my "Chrony" gave me.

Well that and its a flippin' 358 win....a 50 fps SD isn't gonna mean a whole lot even to 300 yards which is as far as I really plan to use my 358 win.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well that and its a flippin' 358 win....a 50 fps SD isn't gonna mean a whole lot even to 300 yards which is as far as I really plan to use my 358 win.[/quote]

That's exactly right! I will use my CDS to the fullest. it tops out around 450 ish With the Noslers.

Man I love the .358 Win and my rifle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
49 gr of TAC and the 225 PT was too hot in my rifle. 2561 fps

primer fell out on 3rd shot. =/ definitely spooky.

I backed off to 48 gr @ 2508 fps.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
49 gr of TAC and the 225 PT was too hot in my rifle. 2561 fps

primer fell out on 3rd shot. =/ definitely spooky.

I backed off to 48 gr @ 2508 fps.

I'd have to look at my notes but i want to say 48-49 was a 50 fps spread on my rifle as well.

The only pressure issues I encountered was with some Lake City Brass I worked from 308 to 358. That brass was a problem and every other shot was sticky. After 20 rounds I pulled the rest of them and the brass went into the trash.

I even had reduced by a full 2.5 grains on the charge. Still wasn't enough. Not had a single issue with standard brass at all.

The 200 gr load is basically my do all load right now.

The Nosler will be my Big Game Round mainly because of the superior ballistics. In my opinion it maxes out the 358 capabilities and makes it a capable rifle farther than I care to shoot cool

The cartridge is so dang efficient

Last edited by marshland_max; 02/24/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lake city brass needs less powder that is for sure!

What would a " normal" 35 Remington load be with TAC?

Thanks!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Lake city brass needs less powder that is for sure!

What would a " normal" 35 Remington load be with TAC?

Thanks!

Angus, I use Remington brass with the 35R and have had good accuracy with both 39 and 40gr of TAC using 200gr Hornady RN bullets.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
425 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,917
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.