Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]

GB1

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We do not have a mouse/ rat infestation. Perhaps once or twice a year we catch a mouse. That's been happening over the last 50 years.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Rather than a pail of water, I got a 12lb pail of this, for use in bait stations around the "barn":

MOTOMCO D 31402 Jaguar Rodenticide.

It's brodifacoum, a single-feed killer, and it's absolutely phucqking them up. They like it, but not for long. From the past few months experience, I'd say it kills them before they set up a home. Zero problems and darn little sign. Twelve pounds is a ridiculous amount but it keeps the EPA happy I guess.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Put up with it for a few years in old house till i could build a new one, impervious one mouse in 15 years, and it came in , in a box of apples. won't tolerate disease ridden scurge, sorry about the language just my way

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For me, poison is a last resort. Besides my dogs possibly getting hold of a poisoned rodent, or rolling on a dead one, there's always the raptors to think about. I'm not a "greenie" and ain't really against poisons, I just choose not to use them except as a last resort.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One thing I found out is you don't want to shoot them with a.357 mag bird shot at 1 AM inside your tent. BTDT

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leonten
- - I hear a noise coming out of the kitchen. So I get up and investigate - - from under the sink...mice! But I wasn't sure it was a mouse so I set a rat trap. Two Mouse traps and some poison. This morning I checked and some of the poison has been eaten. But the traps were not touched.

Does your wife ever go under the sink - and how is she feeling today?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

The poison I use is Tomcat. If it puts out any fumes I cannot tell. It is poison so I am careful about handling it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We are in the country. You always have rodents out here. No matter how you are built. If you don't, you are lying to yourself.

We keep a few barn cats around, and don't kill every last predator we see. Not even every snake.

We keep a handful of traps on hand and the few times we've had to deal with mice the traps get em every time. Even keep them thinned out in the barn with the corn and bird food etc....

Poison will work but as others note, we use it as a last resort.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
it ain't rocket science! 2 ft tall foundation 3 in some places, slick concrete , steel thasholds,steel doors. as I say no possible way in like I say 1 in 15 years came in, in, a box of apples!!

IC B3

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just looked under the sink and saw the mouse. It was chewing the poison. As I said before it's very slow acting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
[Linked Image]

Diabolical. Makes you appreciate being human.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
[Linked Image]

Diabolical. Makes you appreciate being human.

He is giving them a swimming test. So far they all have failed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Roof rats are what we have around here. There's three subspecies of the Black Rat; black, grey and brown and we have the grey subspecies. The subspecies name of the grey subspecies is "frugivorous" and they really do show up in numbers if you have orange trees.

They go through boom and bust cycles on my side of town and true to the name, really do go up high in buildings and houses, you hear 'em up in the roof.

One time, years ago I was teaching class and I saw a roof rat in the back corner, against the wall, the kids hadn't seen it yet. I kept on teaching.

Then the rat walks up to the front corner of the classroom against the wall, kids still ain't noticed, I kept on teaching.

There was a meter stick leaning up against the chalk ledge at the bottom of the board (ha! chalk! Thats how long ago this was.) As I stopped and watched the rat walks up to the meter stick, climbs it,and proceeds to walk across the chalk ledge in front of the blackboard.

I look at the kids and they are all tense and wild-eyed, like nervous horses about to panic. One trigger from me and it'd have been chaos. I look down at the rat as it passes and said "Henry, I told you never to come here when I'm teaching.".

At the other side of the board was the electric chord that went up to the TV mounted at the ceiling. The rat went up the chord, climbed the TV and the mount, and disappeared through a small opening they had chewed in the ceiling tile next to the TV mount.

Then I went on teaching, and the kids went back to work. Might be my finest moment ever as a teacher. I set snap traps that night and caught two.

Teaching the classroom next door was a cranky, heavyset lady who caused me no end of problems. A few weeks later I hear pandemonium from her classroom, and a high keening like from a predator call....

"EEEEEEEEEE!!!....... EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

I go over and there's that teacher lady screaming and standing on a chair.... grin

To indicate just how long that was ago, I'm currently teaching a kid of a couple of the kids who were in that classroom that day, they still remember the rat too.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Roof rats are what we have around here. There's three subspecies of the Black Rat; black, grey and brown and we have the grey subspecies. The subspecies name of the grey subspecies is "frugivorous" and they really do show up in numbers if you have orange trees.

They go through boom and bust cycles on my side of town and true to the name, really do go up high in buildings and houses, you hear 'em up in the roof.

One time, years ago I was teaching class and I saw a roof rat in the back corner, against the wall, the kids hadn't seen it yet. I kept on teaching.

Then the rat walks up to the front corner of the classroom against the wall, kids still ain't noticed, I kept on teaching.

There was a meter stick leaning up against the chalk ledge at the bottom of the board (ha! chalk! Thats how long ago this was.) As I stopped and watched the rat walks up to the meter stick, climbs it,and proceeds to walk across the chalk ledge in front of the blackboard.

I look at the kids and they are all tense and wild-eyed, like nervous horses about to panic. One trigger from me and it'd have been chaos. I look down at the rat as it passes and said "Henry, I told you never to come here when I'm teaching.".

At the other side of the board was the electric chord that went up to the TV mounted at the ceiling. The rat went up the chord, climbed the TV and the mount, and disappeared through a small opening they had chewed in the ceiling tile next to the TV mount.

Then I went on teaching, and the kids went back to work. Might be my finest moment ever as a teacher. I set snap traps that night and caught two.

Teaching the classroom next door was a cranky, heavyset lady who caused me no end of problems. A few weeks later I hear pandemonium from her classroom, and a high keening like from a predator call....

"EEEEEEEEEE!!!....... EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

I go over and there's that teacher lady screaming and standing on a chair.... grin

To indicate just how long that was ago, I'm currently teaching a kid of a couple of the kids who were in that classroom that day, they still remember the rat too.

Birdwatcher

I've sat and watched a ordinary field mouse shinny straight up chain link fence material like a ladder with no problem to get to the top of a 55 gal trash drum where workers threw left over lunch and snack scraps.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I checked under the sink this morning, poison untouched, traps not sprung. I think I got him.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeezlus, you jackwagons never use mouse poison?

Maybe you get your girlfriends to kill the mice.

Nope, I never use poison, but I have used your girlfriend to kill mice.
How do you kill them with a girlfriend? I'm thinking she must be a skinny thing so you grab her by the ankles and swat the mouse with her?

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 02/25/17.
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Poison was move this morning, he's still lurking around.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Leonten: Use peanut butter in the mouse trap.
I prefer not to use mouse "poison" anymore because it really isn't poison (it SLOWLY disrupts the mouse's digestive processes) and they haul it away in large amounts until they die and start smelling and they leave a stash of poison that they have stored up - mess in other words.
Be patient the peanut butter WILL get their little necks broken soon enough.
Put the peanut butter on top of the trigger platform AND on the bottom of it as well - this will get'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Under the bathroom sink this morning; a Texas Roof Rat...

[Linked Image]

AKA one of three subspecies of the Black Rat (Rattus rattus fruguvorous)

I first knew of it when the sink leaked from underneath, the fugger had chewed into the accordion section of the sink drain pipe to get to the water in the trap.

Took about a few days, I left a trap under there baited with a section of orange. I'd been hearing it in the attic, and the dogs had been reacting to it in different parts of the house.

They can be hard to trap, peanut butter usually doesn't work on 'em IME. Currently they are increasing in Phoenix, in association with homes that have fruit trees on the property, hence my choice of bait.

I'd never use poison in 100 years, we had a classroom at school stink for the better part of a year after the teacher or someone put out poison. Not much ya can do when the walls are a double layer of brick.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 50 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.