Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to regurgitate any past info, but some help would be great...I know zero about the AR platform.

1)I'm a lefty, is it imperative to purchase a Lefty AR or is it easily shot either way ?
2)I see there are many calibers available, for a starter is the 223 or 5.45 the sensible decision ?
3)Are most of you buying factory ammo to shoot(100 rounds a week), or reloading your requirement ?
4)What brand/model should I look at for a $1000-$1200 budget(not including scope) ?
5)And lastly: What options on the gun are needed/suggested by the members(charging handle, compensator, buttstock, etc) ?, I don't know what these terms refer to.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before you try to decide on a gun. Decide on the use/need. Is true mimilspec important, realistic accuracy need, weight, length?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Get a left hand stag in any of their configurations and shoot fiocchi 223 50 grain vmax ammo $20/50 and I'd bet you'll be happy. I personally prefer the standard A2 stocks but any little modifications you wish to make as you settle in are easy enough to do yourself

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The military doesn't supply lefty ARs so it must be pretty easy to master the standard model. That said, Stag arms sells lefty ARs and has a good reputation.

I would start with a 5.56 chambered gun before exploring other calibers. Much more abundant and affordable ammo.
A 5.56 (or Wylde) chamber will shoot both .223 and 5.56 safely. It is not recommended to shoot higher pressure 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber.

I reload most of my ammo, but prices for .223/5.56 ammo are about as low right now as at anytime in the past. If you want ultimate accuracy you will need to reload.
Learn the platform and then decide on how to feed it.

Brands and prices run from $400 bare bones to $3,000 bells and whistles.
You will have to do some research based on your needs.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm a lefty, and own both right handed and left handed AR-15s. Other than the ejection port and safety selector (you can easily purchase/install a ambidextrous safety selector after the purchase, if you're mechanically inclined), the AR platform (right handed) is pretty user friendly for us leftys.
I can operate the charging handle, magazine drop and bolt release on right handed guns very easily.

If you are set on buying a lefty version, I also recommended Stag Arms. As others have said, you have to ask yourself what your intended purpose is (defense, target shooting, hunting, etc). One of the basic decisions will be the choice of a 16" or 20" barrel.

If you're not familiar with AR terminology (charging handle, forward bolt assist, carrier group, etc), I suggest you read up on the topic. YouTube, can also be pretty helpful:

https://youtu.be/dJ8BNmd-FLY

https://youtu.be/OzLgZ2S40X0

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Get a left hand stag in any of their configurations and shoot fiocchi 223 50 grain vmax ammo $20/50 and I'd bet you'll be happy. I personally prefer the standard A2 stocks but any little modifications you wish to make as you settle in are easy enough to do yourself
You like tht Fiocchi stuff? I tried a few rounds last fall indoors, but haven't been able to shoot it outside since I scoped my AR. I'll have to pick some up and give it a serious eval.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
GG, I do..I mainly handload but always like to keep a stash of that stuff around. It shoots very well. If you shop around and find what other decent factory ammo $20 gets you, it really starts to shine.
Just my opinion of course, but if you and your gun are up to it I'd definetly give it a whirl.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+3 on the Fiocchi 50 grain V-Max.

I've been shooting it through my S&W AR with great success.

Been buying it through Cheaper than Dirt, by the 1,000 round case.

Virgil B.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The military doesn't supply lefty ARs so it must be pretty easy to master the standard model. That said, Stag arms sells lefty ARs and has a good reputation.

I would start with a 5.56 chambered gun before exploring other calibers. Much more abundant and affordable ammo.
A 5.56 (or Wylde) chamber will shoot both .223 and 5.56 safely. It is not recommended to shoot higher pressure 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber.

I reload most of my ammo, but prices for .223/5.56 ammo are about as low right now as at anytime in the past. If you want ultimate accuracy you will need to reload.

5.56 is a higher pressure round than the 223? Are you positive saying this?

Last edited by butchlambert1; 02/26/17.
Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you all for your responses and help, as I said this is over my head in experience...I'm a bolt/pistol/bow guy. I'm planning to use it for short target(100 yds), plinking, and self defense.

After a lot of reading here and other AR sites, I think that I can ask some pertinent questions now that don't make me sound too stupid....I'll try to keep this short

Not sure I understand the concept of buying a new gun, then stripping it apart the day you receive it to change basic parts..it's just foreign to me. To be able to upgrade later makes sense, but never threw new parts in a draw for a gun before.

If I'm off base or wrong, please feel free to correct my thinking.
1)It looks like the Colt LE6920 is a good starter platform, in the 5.56 format.
2)I have a new Leupold VX3i 1.75-6x32mm scope for it, will need to find a solid 1 piece base.
3)Looks like I'll have to add a charging handle, and maybe a floating rail.

Gun
1)Gander Mountain has it for $1099, but I wanted to change the furniture to Daniel. I found a well known gun supply with the 6920 including the new Daniel furniture shipped for $979 and just the 6920 OEM2 for $750 shipped...should I just go for the installed Daniel version for $979 ?
2)Will I need to upgrade the trigger assembly ? I'm used to crisp clean triggers on my guns/bows, worried the AR will feel like my Marlin 25.

I don't have many local options available for purchase, so online distributors may be best...I do have an FFL down the road.

Thanks again for your advice

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a good rig. The Colt is a fine gun, on the mil-spec side, hard to do better. Look at the cantilevered mounts, Many scopes can't go far enough forward, to give you eye relief, without one.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

according to some milsurp TZZ ammo I've shot, you would think so...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Having just gone through essentially what you are going through, I would suggest starting with a decent standard gun and take it out and shoot it a bunch. You will quickly realize which aftermarket switcheroos you want and which you can do without.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Having just gone through essentially what you are going through, I would suggest starting with a decent standard gun and take it out and shoot it a bunch. You will quickly realize which aftermarket switcheroos you want and which you can do without.

I was hoping the Colt LE6920 package I've chosen fit the "decent standard" category ?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It does.

Buy it, shoot a case or two through it, and you'll have a much clearer idea of what you want to change, or keep.

The trigger may be OK out of the box, factory triggers are checked for safety and function with specs, not "feel".

Last edited by AH64guy; 02/26/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AH64guy
It does.

Buy it, shoot a case or two through it, and you'll have a much clearer idea of what you want to change, or keep.

The trigger may be OK out of the box, factory triggers are checked for safety and function with specs, not "feel".

I just heard back from the seller, he has to charge me tax +6%.

1)So is it wise to just buy the LE6920 OEM2 for $750 shipped, and buy my own Daniel furniture for $115 and install it...the savings can go towards ammo or a better trigger ???

2)Do I need special tools to install the butt stock/pistol grip/fore grip ???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Depends on which pressure standards you use.

SAAMI lists 55,000 PSI MAP (Maximum Average Pressure) for the .223. SAAMI also lists a 52,000 CUP pressure limit for the .223. The 5.56 is a military cartridge ad SAAMI does not list a pressure.

NATO uses a different method (EPVAT) than SAMMI, a method that places the transducer ahead of the case mouth and thus does not require drilling cartridge cases in order to make pressure measurements. The NATO standard for the 5.56 is 62,366 PSI.

The US military uses a test procedure (SCATP) that is based on the SAAMI procedure. Their pressure limit is the same as the SAAMI MAP limit, 55,000 PSI.

So there you have it - the 5.56 has a higher pressure limit than the .223 Remington. Or not.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't have a pressure gauge but I do have a chronograph and real M193 is loaded faster than any 223 factory 55 gr load I've seen. Proof enough for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The US military uses a test procedure (SCATP) that is based on the SAAMI procedure. Their pressure limit is the same as the SAAMI MAP limit, 55,000 PSI.

That makes no sense.

U.S. military ammo is loaded to NATO 5.56 standard, not commercial 223 standards.

If that's not correct, then show a link that says military ammo is 223 pressure spec.

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.