“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mojo,

The Howa ain't bad, but I recommend you reconsider the Kimber for the win. They're turning out some nice stuff these days.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Another vote for the Ruger Hawkeye Predator, the FTW might also be another good one and it will be a bit lighter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Mojo,

The Howa ain't bad, but I recommend you reconsider the Kimber for the win. They're turning out some nice stuff these days.

Have you shot a Howa Alpine? Pretty slick little rifle. I'm loving mine.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been jonesing for a hunting rifle in 6.5CM ever since I started shooting an RPR in that caliber. I need a safety that locks the bolt on a hunting rifle, and wanted something light, so for me it came down to one of the Kimbers or a Howa Alpine. I could have gotten the Alpine locally for $900, but wanted the slightly longer threaded barrel of the Montana, so I ponied up the extra and bought one from Whittaker's.

My Montana with Talley lightweights, a VX3i 2.5-8x36 and 4+1 weighs right at or maybe a hair under under 6 lbs on my scale.

I've only been out to shoot it once and there was a little learning curve with a rifle this light, but it managed to turn in a 0.96" 5 shot group (4 into .48", with one opening the group up substantially) with 143gr Hornady precision hunter factory loads. I have high hopes for my handloads.

The only blemish on the Montana purchase at the moment is that it was sometimes failing to feed the first round of a full mag due to the rear of the case dropping 1/8" low and not getting picked up. Luckily a guy on another board explained that a common problem on the Montana's is the base of the spring sliding forward under compression, changing the geometry of the spring. If the spring is already a little weak, this change in position can reduce the upwards force on the rear of the cartridge allowing it to dip. I looked down in the bottom of the magazine portion of the stock, and sure enough, there were slide marks where the leading edge of the spring base has been shifting forward. An easy fix, but still a little frustrating.

I'm excited to try the Montana with my 7.62 Saker, even with the somewhat porky Saker on the end, the total weight should still be 7.25 lbs or so. I plan on eventually getting a Thunderbeast Ultra 7, and total weight with that setup would be 6.75 lbs or so... Very huntable.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 02/08/17.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 24" stainless CTR off gunbroker yesterday for $975 and shipping out today!

Looking forward to it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MojoHand - "Howas any good? " In short - yes they are. My first experience with them goes back 30+ years when Smith & Wesson was importing them. It was a .308W w/ 24" parkerized heavy barrel 1:12 twist. Came in a hard wood stock, very plain vanilla. First rifle I owned that would place 3 rounds from surplus M118 ammo you could cover with a $.05 cold bore. HOWA's have been imported by a few folks (Mossberg, S&W etc.)over the years. Really good value for the $$$ spent. Fancier ones imported by Weatherby as Vanguards. Homesteader

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do you like your 308? Why not just rebarrel?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I got a 24" stainless CTR off gunbroker yesterday for $975 and shipping out today!

Looking forward to it.

Keep us updated! I have been strongly considering the same one.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I didn't even know they were making 24" 6.5CM CTRs until I saw your post. I have one of the 20" .308 CTRs, and it's an amazingly accurate rifle, especially for the weight. A 6.5CM CTR with a bit more barrel is going to be a really sweet general use rifle.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd take the 20" over the 24" all-day every day, especially if you're not a peasant and own a suppressor. My wife's 20" CTR .260 is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned.

It's a CTR (COMPACT Tactical Rifle).... if you go with the 24" pipe then it's just a TR... laffin...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I'd take the 20" over the 24" all-day every day, especially if you're not a peasant and own a suppressor. My wife's 20" CTR .260 is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned.

It's a CTR (COMPACT Tactical Rifle).... if you go with the 24" pipe then it's just a TR... laffin...

Haha I agree. But I am in peasant status still so I will keep the 24" barrel to try it out. If I hate the extra length or get a suppressor it I can always have it cut down and rethreaded easily. Can't weld on extra barrel length wink

So for now just going with a simple brake and the long barrel. Normally I am a short barrel fan as only one of my bolt action rifles aside from this CTR is longer than 21". Figure given my purpose of the rifle I will give a standard 24" barrel a try again wink

I will be dropping it in a chassis so I can adjust the LOP way down for my nieces and nephew to hunt and practice too. Figure a 10 pound all up Creedmor with a brake on it than I can fit to them should be pretty comfy for them to learn on and then me to extend the stock on and plink away myself.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Luckily they make a 6.5 CM in 20" guise as well, so the buyer has a few choices. Barrel length preferences are definitely going to depend on your needs and uses. I mostly use my RPR to shoot at the local long range, and at our range's PRS style shoots, that is also how I would use a 6.5CM CTR. In both of those situations, there are usually other shooters around, most of whom will not be using suppressors, so I have to wear ear pro any way you cut it. Because I'm wearing ear pro anyway, and the 6.5 isn't too loud out of my 24" barrel, I really don't usually bother using my suppressor at matches. This time of year especially, the wind up here in Wyoming is pretty ridiculous, and usually full value where I shoot, so I'll take the extra 75 fps to 100 fps from the 4 inches of extra barrel over a more compact rifle for my specific purpose. Hell, a few of the guys that were shooting .260's in our matches just went to 6mm Dashers with 28" barrels... That's a bit long for me, but 24" works out fine.

That said, if my situation were different such as I was able to shoot long distance on my own land or with one or two other people who were also using suppressors, or if I was shooting somewhere with less wind, then yeah I would probably be inclined take a shorter barrel and use a can all the time. I also love using a suppressor for hunting because I don't like to wear plugs while hunting, there's usually no on else with me, and the ringing after a shot is always a reminder that I just traded a little bit of my hearing for meat in the freezer... not a trade I'd like to make if I don't have to.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 02/08/17.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Mojo,

Have you shot a Howa Alpine? Pretty slick little rifle. I'm loving mine.

Have shot a number of Howa's/Vanguards but have only handled the Alpine. I handles great and I liked it but wish it was stainless like the Montanas.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by STS45
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Looking forward to it.

Keep us updated! I have been strongly considering the same one.

So far so good. But have only taken it to 750 yards so far.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cool. Good shooting Luke! How are you liking the length?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.