Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jr1968 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'am wondering which would work better, the Hornady 129gr.
SST or the Sierra 130gr HPGK.?

Thanks,
jr1968.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jr1968

Thanks,
jr1968.

You live in New York. Presuming you hunt North Eastern also that says woods to broken woods. 129 grain interlock will work just fine. You don't need fancy to kill a deer no matter what all the marketing hype says.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bud uses both. Excellent results on our Midwestern whitetails.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
100 grain Partition?

120 grain BT?

125 grain Partition?

130 grain AB?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
120 Barnes

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Any of them will work. I use 100 TTSX's out of my 6.5x47L and have great results.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son is liking 142 grain bullets in his. I forget if they are ABLR or what but I think he is going to hunt deer with that load.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My preferred bullet is the 129 Interlock. It shoots 1/2-moa in my .260 and smucks deer. I would take the Sierra over the SST, though, I will not load SST bullets for anything but varmints.

It is hard to beat Nosler bullets also. I would definitely pick them over the Sierras, if they shoot OK in your rifle.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jr1968

Thanks,
jr1968.

Nosler 120 gr BT

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by hanco
120 Barnes

The 100 TTSX has provided better results for me in a 260 than the 120. Used the 6.5 100 TTSX on about 15 deer and pigs, and one coyote over two seasons. 100% have dropped where they stood, and all exited. The recoil is mild, but the animals look like they were struck by lightening. Most distances are 75 - 150 yards. The longest was 212, closest was 25 yards. Also, the TTSX's in either weight do not cause a bunch of bloodshot meat. This rifle and bullet combo is the one that usually is my first choice now. MV is 3100 fps from a 22", 1:9" 260.

Here is entry behind one leg, exit forward of the opposite leg for the 100 TTSX:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper
My preferred bullet is the 129 Interlock. It shoots 1/2-moa in my .260 and smucks deer. I would take the Sierra over the SST, though, I will not load SST bullets for anything but varmints.

It is hard to beat Nosler bullets also. I would definitely pick them over the Sierras, if they shoot OK in your rifle.

Let me tell you where you're wrong bro. You see you need that super $2 a shot bullet with its plastic tip, bonding and boat tail to kill a deer.

What you don't know is that the cup and core SP bullet that killed them fine for most of a century simply bounces off deer today.

Last edited by Armednfree; 02/26/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Armednfree
You see you need that super $2 a shot bullet with its plastic tip, bonding and boat tail to kill a deer.

4x4 pickup with all-terrain tires-$$$$$
Gas at 12 mpg to feed the pickup on hunting trips-$$$
Fancy rifle-$$$
Fancy scope-$$$
Fancy binos-$$$
Latest sooper dooper super dry/warm hunting clothes-$$$
Latest sooper dooper boots layered with fleece from the scrotum of a yearling camel-$$$

Extra 50 cents for a premium bullet--OH MY GAWD!!!!I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE WASTING MONEY LIKE THAT!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
You see you need that super $2 a shot bullet with its plastic tip, bonding and boat tail to kill a deer.

Fancy rifle-$$$
Fancy scope-$$$
Fancy binos-$$$
Latest sooper dooper boots layered with fleece from the scrotum of a yearling camel-$$$

Extra 50 cents for a premium bullet--OH MY GAWD!!!!I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE WASTING MONEY LIKE THAT!!!!!

I hunt on the cheap. Same hunting clothes the last 20 years. Yes they are ragged but they still work. Regular truck I use all the time. Boots 8 years old. Batteries is about all I buy yearly. I do treat myself to a new rifle once and a while, like the 1895 Marlin I just got. Had it not been for Ohio changing the law I'd still be using the 870 I've used for 15 years.

Same batch of slugs almost as long. I scooped them up post season on sale and sat on them. I think I have 30 rounds left.

I admit, I'm a cheap bastard.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I use 130 AB in my 6.5x47 Lapua. I figure it will work for any BG I plan to ever chase with it (up to elk). KISS method of one load for it all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the ttsx in mine.
And in my 35 whelen.
And in my 7mm rm
And in my 7mm-08.

Also the 127 lrx.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have been using a Creed for deer for the last couple of years and have shot one with a 120 bt and a couple each with the 129 Hornady and 130 AB (both new and factory seconds). I haven't been able to tell the difference yet and haven't recovered one yet.

As far as the expensive bullet goes, price does matter if you are going to go through a couple hundred every year. I know you can shoot cheap and hunt with the top end bullet, but the change in POI can be a PITA ( especially if there are a half dozen rifles to rezero and confirm come september) and if you have one load every shot you take all summer long is validation you rig is all set to go for the season. I have shot northforks in a few rifles, super accurate, great terminal performance, but blowing through 300 during the summer would hurt. Of course with Nosler seconds you get the best both worlds.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Let me tell you where you're wrong bro. You see you need that super $2 a shot bullet with its plastic tip, bonding and boat tail to kill a deer.

What you don't know is that the cup and core SP bullet that killed them fine for most of a century simply bounces off deer today.

Huh? When did interlocks start costing $2 a piece,BRO?

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Fancy rifle-$$$
Fancy scope-$$$
Fancy binos-$$$

You forgot the 4-wheeler!! You can't hunt deer without a 4-wheeler!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Huh? When did interlocks start costing $2 a piece,BRO?

I was being sarcastic. Interlocks go for about 28 cents apiece.
Fancy stuff going three times that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by noKnees
I have been using a Creed for deer for the last couple of years and have shot one with a 120 bt and a couple each with the 129 Hornady and 130 AB (both new and factory seconds). I haven't been able to tell the difference yet and haven't recovered one yet.

As far as the expensive bullet goes, price does matter if you are going to go through a couple hundred every year. I know you can shoot cheap and hunt with the top end bullet, but the change in POI can be a PITA ( especially if there are a half dozen rifles to rezero and confirm come september) and if you have one load every shot you take all summer long is validation you rig is all set to go for the season. I have shot northforks in a few rifles, super accurate, great terminal performance, but blowing through 300 during the summer would hurt. Of course with Nosler seconds you get the best both worlds.

Costs vary widely. A quick look at Midway, if I didn't overlook something, showed a lowest 6.5 bullet price of $.21 (Nosler Custom Competition, in bulk - on sale) and a highest of $1.22 (Cutting Edge Match Tactical). Something like the Hornady ELD-x is $.33. Something mid-range price wise for "300 during the summer" would be a difference of $36 between the ELD-x and cheapest. Difference between the cheapest and most expensive for that number would be $303.

I like one load and leave it for a rifle as well. Considering price and performance (especially on deer) I have a hard time not looking at Hornady first for most bullets.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

638 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,243
Posts18,447,892
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.