-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, so I ordered a steel trigger guard on 12/11/16 with a 4 to 8 week delivery. At 8 weeks I contact them find out when I'm getting the trigger guard. That's when the run-a-round starts.

So far this week I've been given 3 different ship dates, the last of which is 2+ weeks out because the trigger guard must anoized off-site and they don't have control over how long it will take.

Anybody ever heard of anodizing a steel part before bluing it? I'm calling BS and told them so. Am I wrong on that?

PTG offered 85% of my money back if I'm not willing to spend the rest of my life waiting on them to ship.

Anodize before bluing?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Never heard of anodizing steel, doubt the bluing would work as after anodize the parts are put thru a sealing process.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sounds like your truck needs muffler bearings.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Ok, so I ordered a steel trigger guard on 12/11/16 with a 4 to 8 week delivery. At 8 weeks I contact them find out when I'm getting the trigger guard. That's when the run-a-round starts.

So far this week I've been given 3 different ship dates, the last of which is 2+ weeks out because the trigger guard must anoized off-site and they don't have control over how long it will take.

Anybody ever heard of anodizing a steel part before bluing it? I'm calling BS and told them so. Am I wrong on that?

PTG offered 85% of my money back if I'm not willing to spend the rest of my life waiting on them to ship.

Anodize before bluing?

I would run as fast as I could from that manufacturer. I just looked it up and appears you can anodize it

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 02/17/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
PTG- Dave Kiff- unhappy customer, go figure. I decided I would not pizz on him if he was on fire years ago

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would run as fast as I could from that manufacturer.

Same here. Lots of disappointments or an extended time.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Anodizing is the process of turning the first few thousandths of an aluminum surface to aluminum oxide.That is pretty hard to do with steel.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Blueing, plating, powered coating, and spray finishes are what you use on steel, only plating, parkerizing, powder coat and spray finshes will seal the metal for effective corrosion resistance. I feel your getting a run around, its amazing how some companies think the whole world is stupid. I offer 106 different finshes on metal from blueing, anodizing, powder coating, parkerzing, nitriding, and spary finishes. Sulphuric acid that i used to anodize is not suitable for steel.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all for confirming what I already knew. Sad. PTG makes lots of cool stuff and, as far as I know, the only source of steel trigger guards for a Rem 700 LA.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Alot of these companies use a receptionist or non-technical person as the first line of defense so to speak. What is sad is when you call for help and know more than the person/company you are calling. For instance, I've tried to get through to someone at Boyds about stock modifications (I still think they have the best value for the $ in gunstocks) and I've gotten someone with an impatient, inflexible, arrogant attitude who refused to let me speak with a stocksmith OR take a message. I can't think of a quicker way for a company to shoot itself in the foot and lose the good will they've worked so hard to build over the years.

As to your case with PT&G, suggest that you call and ask for the email or voice mail for CEO Dave Kiff. If you get either, I would very politely tell him of your situation and only say that you feel you've exhausted all reasonable options with his CS personnel, ie. tell him the line about the anodizing/blueing. If I were him, I certainly would want t know when one of my employees is pissing-off my customers. In PT&G's defense most of their out-of-stock products do list 6-10 weeks delay in delivery.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Williams, Sunnyhill, Swift, to name a few.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Anodizing is the process of turning the first few thousandths of an aluminum surface to an oxide (aluminum oxide).That is pretty hard to do with steel.

So, you've never heard of steel oxidizing.

Yes steel can be anodized. It isn't a process reserved to only aluminum. wink

O
O
Ever look at a post 64 Winchester 94. The metal wouldn't take bluing so they plated them with iron first. Problem was when a gunsmith tried to reblue he would polish through the plating and then couldn't blue the base metal. Might be something like that

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
PTG is unreal.

PTG agreed in an email to refund my purchase, but then shipped the part anyway. I got a tracking number via automated email so I reminded them I did not want the part and was due a refund. PTG managed to stop UPS and have it returned to PTG. I never got it. Fine. But I also have never gotten my refund. It's been over 2 weeks. Yesterday we filed a claim with the credit card.

PTG is not honorable, not customer friendly, does not do what they say they'll do, and do not meet their delivery dates. I would never do business with PTG again and highly recommend you don't either.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,613
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.