Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jerryv
This country has some pretty bizarre funeral customs. The ghouls have turned it into a big business to prey on people when they are vulnerable.

Some really strange laws about spreading cremains too so it is best to keep your plans for loved ones to yourself as much as possible. Just tell the leeches you are going to put them on the mantle when they ask.

Jerry

And don't tell them you're going to snort it and rub it on your gums all night unless you know they have a good sense of humor.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's a weird thing knowing you will be dead FOREVER. Forever is one hell of a long time.

That is a fact.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was holding my dads hand a few minutes after he died and I remember the distinct impression that he was there and then he left all of a sudden. I let go of his hand and there was just a dead body left, it wasn't my dad at all.

They say we aren't a body with a spirit, we're a spirit with a body. After the spirit leaves, it doesn't matter what's done with the body, it's as inanimate as a 2x4.

LOL
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am an organ donor, and I had forgotten about the aspect.
It take some time to take a body apart, I'm told.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cremation and dumped into an elk wallow. Perfect.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I was holding my dads hand a few minutes after he died and I remember the distinct impression that he was there and then he left all of a sudden. I let go of his hand and there was just a dead body left, it wasn't my dad at all.

They say we aren't a body with a spirit, we're a spirit with a body. After the spirit leaves, it doesn't matter what's done with the body, it's as inanimate as a 2x4.

The soul supposedly weighs 21 grams.

Been proven that there is indeed a loss of weight at the exact time of death for a long time.

What everyone can't say is where the 21 grams goes.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
IN my travels, I don't want to think that I will be planted in some spot in the ground somewhere....

an old G/F back in MN showed me where she will be buried next to her husband, with her name already on the stone, done when he passed of cancer a few years ago...

creeped me out...

So I guess it cremation.... and then my ashes scattered to the 4 winds...

if it was reality, the way I would really like to pass is the way Yoda did in Star Wars.... just sorta fade away on the spot...

I thought that was clean and quick... grin

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
God, BEAM ME UP!

LOL
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll be buried at Arlington.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
My Grandfather was 50 years a Mason, and we had a Masonic graveside ceremony as well.

my wife's grandfather was something like a 33rd degree mason. he was buried with the scottish rite ritual for burial.

i'm not so certain about a soul having weight/density. but, maybe it does.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes I will be attending my funeral.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Burial.
Pine box, no embalming (legal in CO), no big to-do about it.
I would prefer to biologically regenerate.
From a practical standpoint it is unlikely I will have any survivors and I distrust any local providers to do that correctly.
Actually, it's legal in most states for most causes of death other than a few dangerous diseases. The practice of embalming on a regular basis came with modern transportation. They used to bury them within a couple of days. Then they started holding the bodies for a week or more until relatives could get there for the funerals. It had nothing to do with preserving the body.
Another part of it was to be able ship the bodies long distances to be buried near other family members. They formerly buried them where they died.
Up through WWI, we buried our soldiers in foreign fields. Now we bring them home, even if it takes 75 years to find them.

Earlier I mentioned that many cemeteries require either a steel casket or a concrete vault. It's not required by law anywhere that I know of, but the cemeteries require it so the ground won't sink as the casket disintegrates. They don't want low spots by every headstone.

For those who say no funeral - you're cheating your family out of closure. Funerals are for the living, not the dead. It's a formal breaking of a family bond that's part of all of us and allowing the family to move on. I had a female cousin die a few years ago. She was an odd bird. She wanted to be cremated, her ashes mixed with those of a favorite dog that she'd had cremated, their ashes scattered along the Snake River in so. Idaho and no service of any kind. Her only remaining relative on that side is her older brother. He did what she wanted but he's often regretted it. It's been about 5 years now and he's unhappy that she just ceased to exist. There was never any kind of closure and he's been in pain about it ever since. Requesting that there not be some kind of service is painful for your family. DO NOT do it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We buried dad 4 years ago. My brother and I just pre-paid for mom's funeral a couple of weeks ago. She recently had to be placed in a nursing home. Medicare allows you to pre-pay for a funeral, but if she runs out of money before dying will only allow about $2K for a funeral.

We paid a little over $10K and at best could have only saved about $2K. We literally went as cheap as practical. We could have saved $1000 not embalming and the only casket cheaper would have saved $1000. Mom and dad bought the plots and stone years ago, that would be several thousand more. We'll still have to pay the cemetery to dig the grave and cover it. That could be as much as $1000 if the funeral is on a weekend.

On top of that the local paper charges $1.50 per word for a death announcement and obit. That can easily run into $500-$1000 for some people.

I asked about cremation and it isn't as cheap as I thought. Realistically to be cremated, and have a service would be about $5K. Just to have the funeral home pick up the body, transport it to a crematory and return the ashes to the family was $2400 with no other services. Dying ain't cheap.

My personal plans are somewhat imprecise, but I'd leaning toward whoever dies 1st being cremated, then the ashes of the last to die be mixed in the same urn. I'd prefer my kids use the money we'd have spent on the funeral to pay for a road trip and scatter parts of us in many of the places we've visited over the years.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cremation and stuffed into a wall at Tahoma National Cemetery.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope to die with a fatally wounded grizzly bear laying on top of me.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I hope to die with a fatally wounded grizzly bear laying on top of me.

You might not die.

Didn't you see the movie "The Revenant" wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Strapped to a hydrogen bomb and set off over New York City one dark evening.

1Minute
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The whole 'closure' thing is a personal matter....

Some say I have to see them... !?!?!?

I have lots of family that I was close to, that I never saw.... after the fact. They're gone, and I know where the body is...... we are all different...

And then there is the autopsy thing........ it amazes me the number that just have to know the exact reason why????

They're gone, does the why matter that much? Again it is a very personal thing... some just have to have it.

My dad, cheap as they come about some things, wants to be given for medical research, because what they don't use is cremated and sent back at a very cheap price...... $350 or some such.

My brother is vehemently opposed to such, because his two sons went to medical school and they/he knows what they do to the 'research/medical' cadavers.......

Last edited by muffin; 02/27/17.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cremation,a Catholic Cowboy Mass (hat's on) horseback the ashes into Grizzly Basin, have a whisky ( on me) and dump them of the cliff. Cheers.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by stevelyn
[Linked Image]

Yes, with all my concubines, wife, horses and cattle aboard.

Actually, it is an empty vessel, treat it as such.

A trip through the incinerator and toss the ashes in the landfill.

Now, my Dad, on the other hand, has a big funeral planned with his impressive monument already in place. He imagines that someone at some future date will be impressed, I suppose.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,141 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.