Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Pine box. Up on the hill behind the house.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife and I each have it stated in our Wills that we are to be cremated with no funeral services.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My father was $540 to be cremated and his ashes given to me in a plastic bag inside a small cardboard box, but that was 1987.

My FIL, 2014, cost $20k, but that was 2 visitations, church, bagpipes and a catered wake/drinks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Yes I will be attending my funeral.
My wife will be late to mine....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muffin
And then there is the autopsy thing........ it amazes me the number that just have to know the exact reason why????

They're gone, does the why matter that much? Again it is a very personal thing... some just have to have it.

Some states have laws (mine included) that state if the death isn't of natural causes, an autopsy will be ordered.

Many families do it to determine cause of death when malpractice is suspected.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It'll be traditional for our area but within reasonable costs -- no fancy box; nobody will remember nor will I care. I will be in heaven.

We generally have a family visitation evening for those who wish to greet the family and give condolences but who can't make the church funeral the next day.

At the funeral, the gospel message will be shared.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm not positive, but I think I've got a hole down in western Kentucky.

I guess it's about time to look into that.

It costs a fortune to get buried here in Lexington.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My uncle died alone at home (in August, with no air conditioning) and wasn't found until he was a puddle of goo. They burned what was left.

Last edited by Fireball2; 02/27/17.

LOL
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by muffin
And then there is the autopsy thing........ it amazes me the number that just have to know the exact reason why????

They're gone, does the why matter that much? Again it is a very personal thing... some just have to have it.

Some states have laws (mine included) that state if the death isn't of natural causes, an autopsy will be ordered.

Many families do it to determine cause of death when malpractice is suspected.

not to wax too morbid, but malpractice of one kind, type, sort or another is always a possibility, right? i mean, somebody somewhere did something wrong, or they wouldn't be dead, would they? the ambulance chasers are always lookin' for a cheap buck.

but, to shift to a more chirpy discussion, i worked w/a dude that his wife had the right attitude about death. when she passed, she asked her husband to roll her body in the casket into their carport. put all the clothes in her closet on her. then let the party begin. fun, celebration, & remembrance. before the party was complete everyone had a chance to line up and take one article of clothing from her body...top, bottom, socks, shoes, rings, bracelets, watches (especially the watches), etc. etc. hair pins, bows, glasses...you name it and it's yours. once everyone had a turn, and maybe some second chances at a double take, there'd not be a stich of anything left on her. at that point close the casket, party over...as everyone had something to remember her by. not a bad concept, really. and fun was had by all.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
wood chipper

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure you write something down if you really want it.
Grandma died 2 months ago and refused to address it. Owed about $350K on her death and didn't have anything other than a beat up old car to liquidate for funeral expenses. So, dad wanted a cremation, his siblings didn't have their own pots to piss in either, so they were in no position to argue.... until they did anyway.
Aunt first asked for her own urn for grandma (what she was going to do with it, as she was about to be homeless, I don't know). She also demanded her car for something to live in.
Funeral home had signatures from three of the 4 siblings, so was going to do the cremation until aunt blew up and pitched a fit. They then refused to cremate until she signed on. And she never did.
Went from having about enough to sell her car to pay for cremation to my dad shelling out $7K for a 3rd time on a parent and step parent. She was a veteran widow, plot was taken care of. Bare bones on about everything.
Just have enough to take care of your final wishes and write it down. I'm quite certain he won't be stepping up to pay for funerals on any of the other relatives. Good riddance to them. It was the last straw I needed to cut ties with those pieces schit anyway.

Last edited by exbiologist; 02/27/17.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like you are way better off.

You can pick your friends...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
That is interesting. I have been informed (by those I had considered informed on the subject) that the guy writing the check makes the decisions.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You heard of the two deer hunters, up in a tree stand, and as a funeral passed on a nearby road?
One hunter doffed his hat, bowed his head, gave a short prayer, and then resumed hunting. His partner mentioned "wow, that was truly respectful, I'm impressed."
The respectful hunter says "well, we were married more than 30 years....." wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
change my choice to "north korean artillery" much sexier than a wood chipper.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have directed that my family take a vacation and scatter a few of my ashes on the mountain where we elk hunted. Scatter more on the old hill pasture I grew up hunting quail. Throw the rest in the ditch somewhere, who wants to spend eternity stacked up among a bunch of boring dead people.

Last edited by Ole_270; 02/27/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
This may sound strange, but I believe people should take on this responsibility themselves, and not ignore it and leave it to family members. I've been exposed to a fair amount of family members passing, and about the only thing done in advance was buying a burial plot. The rest was left on others to deal with. And, I thing funeral homes take a lot of advantage at the time of a death, you only have so much time.

After my Dad passed, my Mom went back to the funeral home, and negotiated exactly what she wanted and paid for it. No issues.

My wife and I have plots and have the headstone in place. Dates will have to be cut in, but we have what we want.

My parents completely paid for everything, for both of them, before Mom died. Casket, headstone, and funeral paid for. Dad is still going strong at 90. We have a family plot at a church graveyard that one of my ancestors help start, back sometime in the 1800's. Lots of the family are buried there.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's a weird thing knowing you will be dead FOREVER. Forever is one hell of a long time.

I've always assumed that outside the narrow window of human experience, forever is all at once.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ole_270
I have directed that my family take a vacation and scatter a few of my ashes on the mountain where we elk hunted. Scatter more on the old hill pasture I grew up hunting quail. Throw the rest in the ditch somewhere, who wants to spend eternity stacked up among a bunch of boring dead people.

well, there it is.

why not organize a group, perhaps large, of people who are planning to pass on. then quick freeze the bodies (after they/we have passed on), put them into a container ship with a large chipper on board. they're moved out into parts of the sea that are experiencing micro-nutrient shortages, and have a great celebration returning the micro-nutrients to the water system, in an attempt to restore the health of the eco-system? this could happen in our time, couldn't it?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.