Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
This spring will be my first attempt at turkey hunting. I raised some turkey a few years back so I feel like I have a decent knowledge of turkey vocab and out of the different kinds of calls the slate calls sounded best to me.

I've been researching calls and there are a dizzying variety. Looks to be some good info on the old gobbler forum and a lot of forum members that make their own calls. What do you all recommend? I'd prefer something under 100$ and hunter made (or another way to say, not big brand stuff like primos or cabelas type stuff).

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm a big fan of Wendell Rye's Lights Out Custom Calls (http://lightsoutcalls.com/) and Andy Kaiser @ Kaiser Custom Calls (http://www.kaiserkalls.com/).

NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks SandMan!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cat,

Ive had some custom calls, and If thats the way you want to go, go to it.

But your more likely to need a few calls, and strikers to match up what you like hearing, they like hearing, and you can play well in any weather (humidity being a damper)

So go easy at first, and get a couple mass produced calls.

I love Knight &Hale's small yellow hammer. (Dont know if its made any more)
And H&S Strut glass calls,

And I play them almost exclusively with a synthetic stick by HS Strut. (Ive even tried bamboo chop sticks for a challenge.)

You may find you like different sounds from different materials, and play some better than others.

Then theres the finicky dinosaurs to take into account on any given day.

So dont be afraid to experiment, its almost a must.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
best one i've had/used is a k/h ol' yeller.
i forgot which brand striker, but i'm thinking it's
a purple heart

EDIT- probably should add that the one i have is one of
the old original all synthetic calls. the new(er)
one have a wood bottom i'm thinking

Last edited by Ranger99; 02/27/17.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I'm very much a fan on the MadHatter: http://www.turkeycall.co/

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
I'm a big fan of Wendell Rye's Lights Out Custom Calls (http://lightsoutcalls.com/) and Andy Kaiser @ Kaiser Custom Calls (http://www.kaiserkalls.com/).

I have multiples from both these guys and you just aren't gonna beat their quality tone, craftsmanship and customer service.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildcat33
This spring will be my first attempt at turkey hunting. I raised some turkey a few years back so I feel like I have a decent knowledge of turkey vocab and out of the different kinds of calls the slate calls sounded best to me.

I've been researching calls and there are a dizzying variety. Looks to be some good info on the old gobbler forum and a lot of forum members that make their own calls. What do you all recommend? I'd prefer something under 100$ and hunter made (or another way to say, not big brand stuff like primos or cabelas type stuff).

Buy what's on sale. They all work. After a few years you will have your preferences. Do learn how to use a mouth call. Sometimes the limited movement with a mouth call is necessary to put a bird down.

A basic cluck and a basic yelp will kill turkeys. Just put yourself where the turkeys want to be.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Sand_Man

I have multiples from both these guys and you just aren't gonna beat their quality tone, craftsmanship and customer service.

How do these types of calls hold up in the weather? I assume moisture affects the friction media, but it must also mess with the wood if its not treated with some some or resin right? Of the different kinds any suggestions for ones that sound good and wont be damaged by a little rain? With all the fancy woods they seem more like fine furniture than functional. Maybe thats just the nature of the call.

Edit: I ended up going with Hanks Calls; i picked up both the osage slate and the signature zebrawood glass over aluminum. Also, I went to midway and picked up a carlson turkey choke and a woodhaven mouth call. Just need to pick up a few decoys and practice those calls and I should be all set. Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited by wildcat33; 02/28/17.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good luck with your call choice, Cat.

Ive never done any resonance testing but Id have to assume that seriously hard woods like Osage are going to sound sharper, and resonate clearer than softer woods. Certainly makes a difference on box calls.

Alot can be accomplished with holding the calls with your fingers in different manners. Just on the rim, or all the way on the meaty part of the sides, different numbers of fingers will change the sound.

Slate being the most pourous of the call surfaces is why early morning dampness or all day humidity make it harder to play or get you notes to break or pop, until it can dry a little; couple that with a soft wood striker and you may have a frustrating time, always carry multiple strikers to combat this.

Well, good hunting, suit up, and help control the dinosaur population. Theyd eat you in a heartbeat...if they could. Yay Chicxulub.!

Last edited by WillARights; 02/28/17.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John Sinclair Custom Calls are very hard to beat for not only their build quality but also their sound.

His 3" titanium bocate is very hard to beat for ease of use and sound quality.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Enticer calls fits your description well.

Enticercalls

Call Al and talk to him, he'll gab your ear off talking turkey..

Two pot calls of his that I really like are the Wet One glass and then the Raspy Thunder slate.

Al also has numerous videos out there for educational purposes.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I second the Enticer "Wet- one" recommendation with one of Al's aluminum strikers. IMO he makes the best wet weather pot calls bar none!
Also don't forget to have a slate with you along with a couple of different wood strikers, and a BIC lighter to dry off the slate if it gets damp (and it will).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best wet weather call is a mouth diaphragm.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I picked up a diaphragm call as well and been playing with it. Doesn't sound quite as good as the pot but that probably has more to do with the operator.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lonzo Birdseye Maple Slate, 55 bucks, Lon Tice is out of south GA, I love mine and they've called in many birds for me

https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/slate-calls/2538-lonzo-s-bird-s-eye-maple-slate-call.html

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Look @ Halloran's stuff!!!!!!
http://www.davidhalloranturkeycalls.com/potcalls.aspx

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to get a little heretical here. Look, I used to pro-staff for a turkey call company. I am not going to say their 60 dollar and 80 dollar calls were not good calls. In fact, some of those calls had radical designs and truly superb sounds.

However, the Shamanic line of turkey calls:

[Linked Image]

. . .have called in just as many gobblers. I make them for a fraction of the price of normal custom calls, and the hardest part is applying the varnish. I make them for my family and friends. I also make strikers and recently tried my hand at box calls. My first attempt at the latter produced a gobbler on Opening Day last year. With a few rare exceptions, the cheapest Poplar pot call is indistinguishable from an $80 Bubinga and Purple Heart Laminate.

The magic of a turkey call happens between the ears of the caller. A lot of that comes in the way of confidence. If it takes an $80 pot call to make you confident you can call in a gobbler, then it was worth the money. However, it is not an absolute requirement.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Shaman is a Wise Ole Gobbler Hunter..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know what you're getting at, however I would venture there is maybe a bit more to it all than that. We both know that at times a hot two year old gobbler would respond to the shrills of a beagle caught in a fence or a rusty gate swinging in the breeze. Some calls definitely sound better than others. Do you always need a refined call? No, but it never actually hurts your success. There's also pride in ownership. For some guys they could care less and a blister packaged Walmart call is good enough. Other folks appreciate craftsmanship. The same thing applies to guns, knives, clothing, ect. For sure if a feller wanted, a few $6 dollar mouth diaphragms are all the calls actually needed. I like and use mouth calls but I really enjoy working a nice friction call. So I have some well crafted friction calls that make me happy. If a box store call works for the guy on the other ridge, more power to him. As long as we're both happy, what's the harm?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
543 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.