Print Thread
Hop To
R
rbell Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I looked at the various categories and the topic doesn't fit anywhere. I am contemplating buying a case of surplus hirtenburger 308 ammo loaded in the 1980s. The bullet itself is a lead core, covered in mild steel covered with a copper wash. It draws a magnet. My question is will this type of bullet wear down the rifling in a sporter rifle quicker than pure copper jackets of cup and core bullets. I am told the barrels of military rifles are much harder steel than a commercial sporter. If I buy this ammo it is just for practice, so i don't have bother with reloading. Also are there any other issues with this hirtenburger ammo. Ie too hot and cases sticking in chamber etc. If I could buy some locally to test I would but No one seems to have any. What say you experts? Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This doesn't completely answer your question, but it's a start.

https://www.uspsa.org/front-sight-magazine-article.php?Should-I-Buy-BiMetal-Ammo-8

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
why take the chance with a non chrome lined barrel? The various battle rifles that fired this type of bullet most often have chrome lined barrels. Harder substances erode slower don't you know. Personally I would not fire a steel bullet through my Kimber Montana in 308 winchester.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rbell
I looked at the various categories and the topic doesn't fit anywhere. I am contemplating buying a case of surplus hirtenburger 308 ammo loaded in the 1980s. The bullet itself is a lead core, covered in mild steel covered with a copper wash. It draws a magnet. My question is will this type of bullet wear down the rifling in a sporter rifle quicker than pure copper jackets of cup and core bullets. I am told the barrels of military rifles are much harder steel than a commercial sporter. If I buy this ammo it is just for practice, so i don't have bother with reloading. Also are there any other issues with this hirtenburger ammo. Ie too hot and cases sticking in chamber etc. If I could buy some locally to test I would but No one seems to have any. What say you experts? Thanks in advance.

Where are you getting it? Price?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Never heard of it

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The steel is so soft it will not hurt your bore.As far as them being too hot.Who knows??

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by rbell

Where are you getting it? Price?

4ager..sgammo has had in in inventory for a while now. Never shot it but read it's good quality stuff

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not me in a sporter barrel, soft or not.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hirtenberger surplus has been available for over a decade as I remember, and was popular back then in M1-A rifles as blasting ammo for those guys who had some desire to do that. It went bang and hit close enough to the backstop to make them happy I guess.

I was never into that sort of thing so I had no interest.

I don't have any specific info about this particular lot, but there are reasons why ammo gets surplused because after testing it fails to meet minimum acceptable standards for performance or storage, and chamber pressure is one of the issues of concern as powder ages.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my barrel life or money that could be used for high quality bullets and other components, but then I generally don't shoot factory ammo anyway.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn't take the chance. Have seen plenty surplus that was only "mildly" corrosive.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I've shot it in the past. It's good stuff. Shoots reasonably well, and is non corrosive. However, it is Berdan primed, so don't buy it for the brass.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Norma Ammo came with a copper or cupro-nickel metal wash steel jacket for decades and no one in Sweden or elsewhere will ever tell you it did any harm.
Also, please explain the excellent condition of Swiss Military surplus rifle barrels when GP-11 ammo is steel jacketed yet the bores are not chromed. Perhaps the Swiss and Swedes have magic barrels.
Please explain the use of steel jackets in M1 Garands in WWII. Pleas explain the use of steel jackets by the Germans in WWII.
You are off base and making an assumption that flies in the face of actual data points.
Google up some guberment tests and you'll see throat erosion wears a rifle bore out long before friction between projectile and bore. The steel used in jackets is very soft and doesn't wear the bore down enough to make the military not consider it usable, and logisticians plan to use a typical rifle barrel for 8k rounds based on the engineer's analysis and tests.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Norma Ammo came with a copper or cupro-nickel metal wash steel jacket for decades and no one in Sweden or elsewhere will ever tell you it did any harm.
Also, please explain the excellent condition of Swiss Military surplus rifle barrels when GP-11 ammo is steel jacketed yet the bores are not chromed. Perhaps the Swiss and Swedes have magic barrels.
Please explain the use of steel jackets in M1 Garands in WWII. Pleas explain the use of steel jackets by the Germans in WWII.
You are off base and making an assumption that flies in the face of actual data points.
Google up some guberment tests and you'll see throat erosion wears a rifle bore out long before friction between projectile and bore. The steel used in jackets is very soft and doesn't wear the bore down enough to make the military not consider it usable, and logisticians plan to use a typical rifle barrel for 8k rounds based on the engineer's analysis and tests.

Don`t try and baffle these guys with facts. grin

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought several thousand rounds of the 80's hirtenberger years ago. Shot it out of my NM M1A's and my bolt guns. It doesn't hurt barrels any more than anything else, but it's still ball ammo. If 2-4 MOA at the yardline suits you, buy all you can afford and go blasting, cause that's all it's worth IMO.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.