Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Apparently with Aron running the show there have been some changes. I assume they quit the custom work for good reason. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere in between pack modifications and customer service.

That was totally opposite of my experience. In fact, Aron was the one who suggested the modifications. He also offered to loan me one of their new sleeping bags but I ended up buying one.

I got my pack two years ago, and I was fortunate enough to be able to walk into their shop and sit down with Aron. That may have helped.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The policy took effect in 2012. I understand now it is being strictly enforced. Call them up and they will be quick to confirm it. I've tried to convince them twice in the last six months, with simple mods, but they would not even consider it.

Here's the first report I saw of it. A post from 2012.

Effective immediately-

We will not be accepting ANY custom order of ANY kind; to include, but not limited to: deleting or adding items; changing colors of web or buckles; customer sending in own fabric and/or web, etc.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I can say is, I got my pack in 2014 or 15.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All I can say is that last week I was denied. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good, then it's settled.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Finding your shi* in your pack is called organization and experience.

I understand the sentiment, but I've found that really doesn't work as well for me. I simply don't get the time in the woods using the pack to where the location of everything becomes second nature when its nearly all in a main compartment. With my latest pack, I find myself hunting for things. I don't need a lot of pockets, but a few is preferable. My current pack is a Seek Outside pack with a two pocket Talon and I think two additional small pockets would be preferable. Not a big deal as is but I am looking for ways to keep a few items handy. They now have new talons and a lid with different pocket arrangements that I'll look into.

Edit: and the only thing on my chest is binos and a small cow call.

prm ..add a couple hipbelt pouches for small gear, or go to a day talon which has a lid integrated and is really a 5 pocket layout.

Myself, I'm with Ed. Too many pockets and I need a map to tell me where stuff is. I can make sense of 7 pockets like this
- Main Bag
- Bottle Pockets / Utility (2)
- Valuable pocket (Keys etc)
- Wet Pocket / Stuff it
- Optic Pocket
- Knives /Delorme etc ..

Beyond that, I get more and more confused.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kevin, Thanks. I don't think I want much more than what you've listed. I do like a valuables pocket for wallet, keys, and license, and doesn't get used (or even opened) for anything else. I'm really referring to hunting during the day after unloading the bulk of camp.

I did just order a day talon. That will add a valuables pocket. I waffled on getting a hipbelt pouch as I was afraid I would be bumping into it with my arms. I may try one and see how I like it. It would be convenient as long as its not in the way when crawling over what seem like thousands of downfalls. Maybe good for a rangefinder or snacks.

Edit: added hip belt pouch to order.

Last edited by prm; 02/27/17.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I used a long hunter for years and a spike camp or express for a day or over-nite pack. I have to say that the lack of pockets on the LH was at times a bit annoying and I even spoke with Patrick about it. The add on pockets were a sort of after thought and kinda loosey goosey things. Nevertheless the suspension and the quality and usability was excellent. Eventually sold it here and have a Timberline complete with side pockets (spotting scope and tripod), two front pockets for everything else, and a security pocket inside. Hog heaven cool

Lefty C

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
would add that I bought the timberline directly from Kifaru and Aron set it up. We both agreed that the snow collar was ridiculously long and some of the straps were likewise bordering ridicules. Had everything trimmed up while I waited and fitted the pack to me as well.

LC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
You can pretty much put pouches or pockets anywhere on these packs , not sure where you came up with the duffel bag idea..........

why not buy a pack that already has them instead of having to buy more add on pockets. It does look to me like the packs are better with storage than the stuff from a couple years ago. Frankly I could not stand the duffle type concept of their packs. people raved about packs like the long hunter. I had to wonder did anyone actually ever use it? I would hate a pack like that. I don't want to dig everything out to get a headlamp or a freaking piece of jerky out of the thing. better organized packs I probably don't even unpack the pack all the way when I setup camp. With the duffle concept everything must come out and everything must be packed up when its time to go in the morning.

you guys can call me whatever the hell you want. I know what works for me what doesn't. I actually use my gear. I hunt and hike in the west on public lands. I have no brand loyalty which people seem to get all butt hurt when someone tells them why they may have bought the wrong thing.

below is the size of pack that would interest most. a 3400 and 4000 size. I have to ask how in the hell is this different from a duffle bag? there isn't one pocket on the pack. its all fishing stuff out of a duffle bag. most the rest of their packs are similar. its a glorifed army ruck sack [Linked Image]

might as well just carry this for a pack [Linked Image]

I think CC is just someone that try's to be contrarian. Literally no one that actually backpack hunts or shoots that I know thinks like him. If I walked into work and asked a group of guys that spend a considerable amount of time hunting animals (or humans) with a pack on, no one would give an answer like his. Similarly , if I asked the same people that spend a considerable time shooting animals (or humans), no one would give an answer like he does on scopes/rifles.

So he either is just trying to be contrarian, truly is the biggest oddity, or he's retarded....
Oh so very true. Funny for all the "experience" he touts, he never has a good pic or story of a hunt to share...

I've used my duffle bag on a frame quite well for over a decade now. Things I need to get to, very often, go into the lid or the very bottom of the pack to access via the zipper there. Have yet to have a "yard sale" to find what I'm looking for.

Here's 1/2 of my first mule deer riding with rest of my day gear back to camp. I did not lose anything or miss any pockets...
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.