Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
As it says...

Elections have consequences.

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/02/27/ap-doj-to-switch-sides-on-texas-voter-id-lawsuit/
File this under “elections have consequences.” Attorneys for a voting rights group found that the new management of the Department of Justice has a much different view of voter-ID laws than it did during the Obama administration. The DoJ informed the Campaign Legal Center today that it plans to withdraw from a lawsuit against a recent Texas voter-ID requirement, leaving them on their own:

BREAKING: Attorneys: Trump administration says it will drop federal government's opposition to strict Texas voter ID law.
— The Associated Press (@AP) February 27, 2017

Danielle Lang, of the Washington-based Campaign Legal Center, said the Justice Department informed plaintiffs in the case that it will be filing documents to formally drop its opposition to the Texas law. She called the decision an “extraordinary disappointment.”

“It’s a complete 360,” said Lang, the center’s deputy director of voting rights. “We can’t make heads or tails of any factual reason for the change. There has been no new evidence that’s come to light.”

The move marks a stark reversal under new Attorney General Jeff Sessions from the Obama White House, which joined a lawsuit against Texas in 2013. The Justice Department didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

Lang meant to say a complete 180, not 360, which would be to turn in a full circle to come back to the same position. Lang’s even more correct on the 180º shift than the Associated Press report indicates. The DoJ isn’t dropping out, it’s switching sides, as the Dallas Morning News reports:

The Department of Justice under President Donald Trump will support Texas officials’ claim that the state’s voter identification law did not specifically target minority voters, retreating from the federal government’s previous stance that state lawmakers intentionally discriminated when crafting the law.

The law’s opponents were notified of the switch one day before the question of discriminatory intent is set to be argued in federal court, according to officials at the Campaign Legal Center.

The 180 on this issue doesn’t just align the DoJ with its new management, but also with the broad consensus among American voters. A Gallup poll last summer showed a remarkable consistency across all demographics of wide support for such laws:

As partisan-fueled court battles over state voting laws are poised to shape the political landscape in 2016 and beyond, new Gallup research shows four in five Americans support both early voting and voter ID laws. A smaller majority of 63% support automatic voter registration. …

Though many of the arguments for early voting and against voter ID laws frequently cite minorities’ voting access, nonwhites’ views of the two policies don’t differ markedly from those of whites. Seventy-seven percent of nonwhites favor both policies, while whites favor each at 81%. Nonwhites are, however, more likely to support automatic voter registration (71%) than are whites (59%).

What does this mean for the case? It doesn’t bring it to an end; the lawsuit has already gone to the Fifth Circuit, which has ruled that the law is discriminatory but wants the lower court to determine whether it was intentionally discriminatory. The state of Texas wanted a delay on that for the legislature to have an opportunity to amend the law in order to address the court’s concerns, but the Obama DoJ had opposed that, but the Trump DoJ has already concurred in a filing prior to its shift today.

Notwithstanding the DoJ’s shift, the Campaign Legal Center can continue to pursue the case on its own. Lang told the Dallas Morning News that they plan to do just that. “Private plaintiffs will continue to pursue justice in this matter,” she declared. However, it’s clear now that the Justice Department will have other priorities in the new administration, a consequence not just of this election, but of the previous administration ignoring popular sentiment and opposing common-sense measures.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Center's Deputy Director sez: "It's a complete 360."
Dumb bitch.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Math is hard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now that's a happy ending!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All Texas wanted to do is make sure you are legal to Vote. That's it.
Look at this chit for a court case.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Dumbocrats want fence posts to vote.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Now that's a happy ending!

Not over yet. A liberal group can continue the lawsuit.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lang meant to say a complete 180, not 360, which would be to turn in a full circle to come back to the same position. Lang’s even more correct on the 180º shift than the Associated Press report indicates. The DoJ isn’t dropping out, it’s switching sides, as the Dallas Morning News reports:

The Department of Justice under President Donald Trump will support Texas officials’ claim that the state’s voter identification law did not specifically target minority voters, retreating from the federal government’s previous stance that state lawmakers intentionally discriminated when crafting the law.

The law’s opponents were notified of the switch one day before the question of discriminatory intent is set to be argued in federal court, according to officials at the Campaign Legal Center.

smile

Last edited by muffin; 02/27/17.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is what we voted for.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i'll see your 360 and raise you 540

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Are you tired of WINNING?

Neither am I!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had a flight instructor try to flunk me after he told me to do a 360 and i did. took the entire staff at the school to convince him that i did as told!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Some SOBs at DOJ decided they like their job.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have to show my Id every time I vote. I'm in the country.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wtxj
All Texas wanted to do is make sure you are legal to Vote. That's it.
Look at this chit for a court case.

and Florida has run much the same law and requirements for years with n no issues. You have to have a valid picture ID. You have to show ID that has your address, and that has to match your address of record at the Voter Registrar's office, and your signatures have to match.
If you don't have the correct ID, you can still vote a 'provisional' ballot, which will be checked very carefully.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I cannot remember not having to show some form of ID TO VOTE.As much time as these scumbag liberals have between elections there is absolutely no reason they do not have some form of ID to vote.ALL OF THIS BS ABOUT MINORITY VOTER SUPPRESSION IS A COMPLETE LIE.SCREW THEM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by poboy
The Center's Deputy Director sez: "It's a complete 360."
Dumb bitch.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When I have to stop showing an ID to buy a gun, they can stop showing one to vote.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
“We can’t make heads or tails of any factual reason for the change. There has been no new evidence that’s come to light.”

It's called following the law Dipschit.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.