Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I'm a pencil guy. Just got three nice Pentel .7mm mechanicals

Me too..... But I have whole 5 gallon bucket of flat carpenter pencils from about every lumberyard in the state. I think I only used 2 of 'em, since taking the ranch job. I reckon if times get hard, I can sit on a street corner with a cupful of them for sale......

GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Of course I remember pencil and paper. There are some who claim I remember clay tablets and a stylus, but that's a lie. I only go back to papyrus and a brush.

I do, however, have fond memories of carbon paper, mimeo machines, hole reinforcers, slide rules, and mucilage bottles with red rubber tips.

Yep. I remember all of those for sure. The triangular ruler for mechaical drawing too. How 'bout a french curve template?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Me too..... But I have whole 5 gallon bucket of flat carpenter pencils from about every lumberyard in the state.

I thought I was the only one who collected carpenter pencils.
Should have known.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the Marine Corps, the office clerks called hole reinforcers "paper azzholes" and White-Out was called "pigeon poop".

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Usually you also had to have a big pink erasure on the side because the erasure tips on the pencil were always chewed off.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Usually you also had to have a big pink erasure on the side because the erasure tips on the pencil were always chewed off.

Pink pearl eraser!

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was kind of disappointed to find out my son, graduating in May in Aerospace Engineering, was never taught to use a slide rule. frown PS: no way could I remember how to give him a lesson... I do remember my first calculator cost $83 back in 1970something. You can get one now for $2 that will do the same work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use carbon paper every day at work. Erasers are as crappy as pencils these days. My kids have a mess on their math homework when they need something erased.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I still pay all my bills by check, and I write myself notes everyday on a desk calendar. I also still hand write seed orders for my customers.....nuff said....grin

Last edited by maddog; 02/27/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A couple of my years with the Highway Dept. Surveying, I was on a parcel crew (land surveying) instead of location surveying, and we had an electric eraser. Back then, it was all calculated by hand. Looked up sines and cosines in a book. Lots of the old hands had the common angles memorized. You also had to convert DDMMSS to Decimal of Degree. Lots of notebook paper used. We also calculated curves the same way, right on the hood of the truck. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I also still hand write seed orders for my customers.....nuff said..

I know this is hijacking the thread, but do you have any idea what buckwheat seed sells for up there. I am having trouble finding it here, and may have to order and have it shipped. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a calculator. iPhone has one built in. I can still 'cipher', but it's just faster to use the electronics.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Pizza boxes for the really big jobs.

Mom and Dad drew the prints for his house, in pencil... on the inside of a shoe box lid. Gave it to the contractor and that's what he used to frame it and get it in the dry.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kid0917
I was kind of disappointed to find out my son, graduating in May in Aerospace Engineering, was never taught to use a slide rule. frown ...

And many of the diseases that formerly ravaged mankind have been virtually eliminated as well; the world has become a better place in many ways.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was kind of disappointed to find out my son, graduating in May in Aerospace Engineering, was never taught to use a slide rule. frown PS: no way could I remember how to give him a lesson... I do remember my first calculator cost $83 back in 1970something. You can get one now for $2 that will do the same work.
In college in the 60's, I was very proficient with a slide rule. I still have it but have forgotten how to use it. A friend studying engineering bought one of the 1st calculators on the market. It cost him over $400 (triple that in today's money). It was big and didn't have near the feature of a $50 version now. I had a couple friends studying these new gadgets called computers. They carried punch cards around in plastic boxes. They couldn't carry a computer without a forklift.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would go to the computer lab with a friend who was in com sci (he used to sing, "Virgil, quit com sci ...", to the tune of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down") and type punch cards for him. The place always was a madhouse of students typing cards, picking up programs, and being amazed at the volumes of pages generated when their program went into a do-loop.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread . . . I still have 6 or 7 drafting pencils with different leads in them (2H, 4H and HB as well as red, yellow and green) have a rotating sharpener to keep the point right. Several Pentel mechanical pencils. 3 or 4 triangular scales, a drawer full of triangles and templates. 4 sets of compasses and two T-squares. 36" x 48" drafting table w/ drafting machine and a bunch of scales. Electric erasers made mistake changing much easier, but still left shadows for the Diazo machine to print out . . . Made my living with them until about 1991 and we switched to AutoCad. My drafting supplies don't get much use these days but I can't get rid of them. Used to do complete structural design calcs with paper, pencil, slide rule and the "built in head calculator".

I prefer to write checks and use stamps to online bill paying.

Old dinosaurs are hard to kill, apparently laugh .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I still insist on getting paper bills in the mail because I want a hard copy marked PAID to prove I did. But I pay them electronically. No worries that the Postal Orifice will lose a check and screw my credit rating.

I too have drafting tools, slide rules, T-squares, and mechanical pencils tucked away. Along with a pilot's navigation calculator (mechanical) for figuring true air speed, Mach number, and wind drift.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still using a solar powered Texas Instruments hand calculator that adds, subtracts, divides and multiplies, plus does percentages and square roots and some memory functions that work off of a stack, and that's it.

Bought it in 1985 for $5 at some big box store and it still works great. No batteries, just open the cover under any light source, even flourescent, and it starts up. It has a small manual that shows you how to use the memory stack functions to do some pretty complicated calculations.

Of course a cell phone of the same size today will do what a TI super scientific engineering extra deluxe calculator used to do, and that's just the side functions. But I like it since it still does about 99.9% of any calculations that need doing in my life.

Just wish it had a pencil holder....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You can't beat a pencil and paper

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.