Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave
There's an Al's Beef about five minutes from O'Hare.

Get a combo w/peppers. Dunked.

Dave

Get a double order; finish it on the run back to the ticket counter, quickly board, then submit to the effects of any turbulence.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Your timing might be dicey as the NW half of Iowa from Thursday into Friday is under a winter storm watch for 6-10" in the NW corner with rain south and SE of the snow line. And strong winds 25-40 mph for all. So depends where you are headed. It might be a day to forget Chiraq and get to where you are going or re-evaluate your plans altogether. Take care.

But the Museum of Natural History is a definite if you have the time. Those remarkable scrawny lions of Tsavo are there -- the ones that lunched on some 100+ railroad workers.

What schools will you be planning to look at?

Correction: "Science and Industry."

Headed for Luther on Friday and Cornell on Sunday, Knox (Ill.) on Monday. I'm thinking now just to grab a signature pizza or Sammich and head west.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 02/22/17.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You should be ok weather wise on that end of the state. Both have good rep's I think but am more familiar with Luther which in the past anyway had a strong science and music rep. Nice town too.

Decorah is in or close to the Little Switzerland part of the state with wooded hills and limestone cliffs, turkey, good deer hunting, grouse, trout fishing, and of course not too far from the Mississippi.

'Course if he goes there he'll be studying. 😉

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why go to college in Iowa? Just curious - unless he loves to pheasant hunt but I am guessing that is not the reason.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by add
There's an Al's Beef about five minutes from O'Hare.

Get a combo w/peppers. Dunked.

Dave

Get a double order; finish it on the run back to the ticket counter, quickly board, then submit to the effects of any turbulence.

Great idea make it a combo (sausage also) with sweet and Gardinar (peppers)
Wish I had one right now
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Why go to college in Iowa? Just curious - unless he loves to pheasant hunt but I am guessing that is not the reason.

Because Colorado has horrible financial aid programs. There's been a big shift over the years in how education is funded and it squeezes the middle class hard. If you are poor or rich, you are set for college. If you are middle class, you get screwed by the FAFSA EFC number. For us, our EFC is about $23,000/year. That's how much the government attributes as our "family contribution" to our son's education. That ain't happening. We've saved for college, but not $200,000 (total EFC for both kids)

He's worked hard to get great grades, has accomplished a lot in leadership, music and has high test scores. That and $23,000/year will get you into almost any school. But we don't have that kind of dough and won't go into that kind of debt.

But there are still some small colleges out there that grant merit scholarships for academics, music and leadership. Right now, we're looking at $11,000-$16,000 per year to go to these very expensive private colleges. That's less than what I would have to pay for him to go to any state school here in Colorado and even less than my alma mater, Wyoming.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew a truck driver from Chicago 25 years ago. He immigrated from Beirut Lebanon. His mother, still living in Beirut, always worried about him living in Chicago.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Erik, after C'Springs don't know if your son will like the Midwest "climate", etc. but, given the circumstances, I think you are making some wise educational choices. There is quality (of education and social environment) to be had in schools like those you are visiting - I happen to have special personal liking for Luther.

From O'Hare you are probably best just setting off westward rather than trying to squeeze something in - for Chi. I'd wait until you have time to pick/choose and do the good places justice. Having time to leisurely look at college towns/environments seem more valuable in this case.

Might be good to have some great CDs, books on CD or good conversation topics planned as the drive west from Chicagoland is boring when compared to your Rockies.

It is great that you are doing this - fortunate son.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lots of place to eat in O'Hare but my choice would be a deep dish from Pizzeria Uno. Amazing pizza! I know they have at least one location in O'Hare.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CCCC
Erik, after C'Springs don't know if your son will like the Midwest "climate", etc. but, given the circumstances, I think you are making some wise educational choices. There is quality (of education and social environment) to be had in schools like those you are visiting - I happen to have special personal liking for Luther.

From O'Hare you are probably best just setting off westward rather than trying to squeeze something in - for Chi. I'd wait until you have time to pick/choose and do the good places justice. Having time to leisurely look at college towns/environments seem more valuable in this case.

Might be good to have some great CDs, books on CD or good conversation topics planned as the drive west from Chicagoland is boring when compared to your Rockies.

T think it is great that you are doing this - fortunate son.

Thanks Paul. Midwest winters will be a challenge. I think his plan is to move right back to Colorado after college. At least I don't have to worry about him going to college and falling in love with Iowa... (No offense to you Iowans). We're going to listen to a lot of music and talk. I'm looking forward to it! Just the son and I on this trip.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, Iowa does have its own beauty if not the iconic natural wonders. Strange as it may sound people do land here for one reason or another... and then stay.

Yeah, college costs have gone over the top. There are two small, very good, liberal arts colleges in my home town and another similar town just fifteen minutes away where we live now. My alma mater is at ~ 40k+/yr and the other is similar I'm sure. They both have been fairly highly ranked among the nation's colleges.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
At least I don't have to worry about him going to college and falling in love with Iowa...

It's not Iowa that you have to worry about! Watch out for the girls.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Google earth and take a virtual tour of Chicago while you're waiting for your car rental..for comfort rent a Caddy.
FYI the best pizza and hot beef/sausage sandwiches are on the South side..PizzareoUno is krap and North side pizza is for gays and liberals..If you pass any deli's have them make you a couple Italian submarine sandwiches with olive oil.
Have a Good trip!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How was your trip?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Still on the road. Knox College today. Back to O'Hare tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

The west side has been exciting for a long time.

Dave

Coming back from a salmon trip in SE Alaska some years ago the wife and I had a 5 hour layover at O'Hare. Decided that was plenty of time to get on one of the trains that run out of the AP to grab some grub, a few pops and just to check out some local stuff, whatever that may be. Got off God knows where after 10 or 20 minutes or so, as I saw some crappy neighborhood as we were pulling into the station that looked about as good as any for a bite and drink. Had a fairly busy main strip that didn't look too bad (only 60 percent black in my keen-eyed estimation, which is on the cusp but under my personal threshold).

Decided to pop into some nearby dive bar close to the station, with the wife a bit nervous, but in looking in the window at a couple of guys bellied up to the bar and those milling around shooting some stick, decided it looked OK. Ordered up some drinks and was asking the barkeep about where to grab a good, quick sandwich. Friendly dude, gave us a couple of suggestions and asked where we were from. About that time some local monkey in army pants sidles up to us from behind on my wife's side, puts his arm on the back of the bar stool she's on and looks across her front to say to me, "this here's my bar, and there's a tax on out of town folks trespassing without an invitation. Double tax for couples".

I smiled and gave my wife the nod and the look, and after a sideways glance to check that he wasn't part of a group and that no one was hurriedly leaving, locking any doors or pulling down any shades, I said to the dude, "well that's an interesting comment. I have to say that I don't like the idea or your tone, but if that's the case come on over to my side of the bar and I'll buy you a drink; how's that sound?"

"You don't like my TONE, huh?", he said, getting a little excited and swaying, but not moving away from my old lady. I told him, "nope, I don't. I understand that some places have their local traditions and all, and I'm happy to oblige you, out of respect and as a guest in your city, but if you don't move away from the lady there in about three seconds I'm going to be forced to take your f**ing head off". At that, all 8 or so of the other patrons in the place, along with the bartender, started laughing.

I heard a guy at the pool table say something like, "Chicky done it now, that big old Hawaiian dude gonna' f*kk him up, watch!" About that time the bartender started in, looking pissed off and talking about, "Chicky you just got off being barred from here for the tenth [bleep] time. These folks don't want no trouble and neither do I. You don't stop this bullshyt right now I'm not gonna' step in when he commences to mopping the place up with your guts, and I'll make sure no one else does either!"

That pretty much ended that little bit of drama, though old Chicky mumbled something about this not being over, that we'd have to leave at some point. Whatever. A drink or two later I'm going over some pics I'd taken in AK, and the guy one stool over from Mrs. KG overhears me telling the wife that she did a great job shooting, and that when we got home I was going to see about getting her a rifle of her own. Long story shorter, the guy was a train conductor and while born and raised in the area, had always wanted to go to a place like AK and to be able to hunt and fish and stuff.

We hit it off well, and he was a pleasant guy to shoot the breeze with. I shared some pics and some thoughts on guns and whatnot. After some time I told the wife that we ought to start heading back to get our flight home. Being that Chicky was still there though, who I'd been watching in the mirror behind the bar the whole time, looking mad about his dressing down and being maybe embarrassed in front of his buddies, I said to this nice guy that I was going to leave an extra fin for the bartender, but I was going to take my empty beer mug with me as we left, just in case old Chicky decided to follow us out.

"Oh, don't worry about nuttin' like that, my man. I'll make sure he doesn't try any stupid shyt." I looked at him, mostly wanting to believe he would, but my standard suspicion told me to make sure I wasn't in a position where I had to rely on anyone else to watch out for my lady's well being. He must've seen that I wasn't entirely sold on his promise, and after a moment smiled wide at me. "I know what you're thinking, my man. I mean what I say and say what I mean, though. I can tell you grew up in the city. So, here's something to put your mind at ease. As I said, ain't nobody gonna' mess with you two. You got my word on it". He then leaned forward and with two hands reaching behind him, brought these little babies out.

I laughed my ass off, and shook his hand. I left an extra 20 bucks on the bar on top of a proper tip, and told the bartender to take care of this dude for the next round or two, on me.

I like some of the people in Chicago.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"That's not a knife ! Here's a fookin' knife !"

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Go out to the old Navy pier at night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
We're flying from Denver to Chicago then driving to two schools in Iowa and one in western Illinois before we fly back out. All small colleges.. Cornell, Luther and Knox.

Doubt that either you or your son will be impressed with Galesburg. But do take the time to visit Simpson's.

Decorah is a beautiful area. I fish and camp quite a bit up there...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ask to see the Luger room at Simpson's...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (2UP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.