Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am a donor. My wife Grace was, she died about 2 years ago at age 52. Her corneas gave sight to 2 women in their 60's. I like to think that they are enjoying the sight of their grandkids as much as Grace enjoyed ours.

The organ donation center in Pittsburgh (https://www.core.org/) was great to work with, very caring, supportive, and respectful. Although Grace was cremated, we could have had an open casket after they were done. They have an annual gathering and lunch for the families of that years donors to say thank you. Some of the recipients and families are there. Sometimes it's as simple as replacement tendons in a shoulder, sometimes it's as major as a new heart for a small child. And they do a memorial photo presentation during lunch, there was not a dry eye in the house. Kind of teary eyed here now too.

As to worn out parts, they do ask health questions, Grace had diabetes, low kidney function, COPD, a heart attack and some other issues but they were still able to harvest the corneas, skin, tendons, and bone. With the bone, Grace came full circle, she had neck surgery and they used cadaver bone on her. Just seems right that they were able to get bone from her for someone else.

Finally, make sure your driver license or other ID indicates that you're a donor, your family may not remember. I know I completely forgot until the hospital staff mentioned it after she died that morning.

Dale

This space for rent

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nurse Jackie makes every young person a donor, I saw it on Netflix.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by kingston

Sometimes I'd swear you and Gus were the same person.

He must have a big organ.

Clark

Our Captains name was Morgan,
By gawd he had a gorgon,
Ten times a day,
He would stop and play,
With his reproductive organ!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/27/17.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yeah, I'm signed up to be a donor. My Wife has been able to enjoy our Grandchildren because some generous person donated a liver. I would like to pay it forward.

Actually, I joined the Campfire while we were in the hospital. During the long hours of sitting around in the room I began playing around on her computer.

lightman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by lightman

Actually, I joined the Campfire while we were in the hospital. During the long hours of sitting around in the room I began playing around on her computer.

That's exactly how I got here.....
Spent 3.5 years on the list, and 2 years bed ridden before and after the operation.
Something I often think of. I had a loaded .357 in the next room, and never had the slightest thought of "ending it all".
Two years in bed is a LONG time.....

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good stories for the most part folks, I talked to a man just an hour, or two ago that has needed two liver transplants.

My 55 year old cousin died of a heart attack years ago.
It took days, skin, long bones, a bit grizzly, but think about how many lives he made longer, and better.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a donor. That being said, there should be a legal mechanism by which people can sell the rights to their organs while alive. Kind of like a reverse mortgage.

People would take better care of themselves if for example, their blood work indicated their internals were worth say 100k vs 10k.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
No.

The risk of saving somebody I don't like is too great.

I hadnt thought of this until seeing it print, and after seeing it I'm revoking my organs/eyes going anywhere. Fuggem'

A-holes unite!

You never know,... something of yours could wind up inside of a needy desperate late middle aged insurance/annuity salesman's body allowing him more good years of hustling gun deals, riding hot rod motor cycles, and singing in Gospel groups.

shocked whistle wink

..then again if my innards ended up in nan pelosi or suck's schumer , I'd spend eternity spinning in my grave, or urn ?

til there's a way to specify who gets my guts , I'm stayin' intact , fuggem'

.... like tears in the rain
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The thread on funerals has me thinking about organ donors.

Are you on as a donor? Or, why not?
No. EMS and ER doctors that know 1) you're an organ donor, and 2) that there is a child who desperately needs your organs, could not help but be psychologically impacted such that he will quit sooner in revival efforts if your heart has stopped. Also, organ removal is done while the donor is alive, and that without any efforts at pain control, under the assumption that the donor, being "legally dead," is incapable of feeling pain, which may or may not be true in all cases.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The thread on funerals has me thinking about organ donors.

Are you on as a donor? Or, why not?
No. EMS and ER doctors that know 1) you're an organ donor, and 2) that there is a child who desperately needs your organs, could not help but be psychologically impacted such that he will quit sooner in revival efforts if your heart has stopped. Also, organ removal is done while the donor is alive, and that without any efforts at pain control, under the assumption that the donor, being "legally dead," is incapable of feeling pain, which may or may not be true in all cases.

hmmm…are you sure about that?? For all organs? Liver and kidney can be and I agree but all others?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nobody would want my organs. I'm at the moment in the process of being put on the Heart Transplant list at Vanderbilt.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Again, we could use DocRocket now.

If they take the heart first, how much longer could a body live?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Quiet a while if on a bypass pump

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by centershot
While being an organ donor sounds very noble and can be great for the recipient it can also be a terrible burden on the family of the donor. My cousin was terminally injured in a car accident, the doctors keep him 'alive' until a recipient was ready. That was several days of hell, the hope that he may come out of the induced coma and survive was torture on the family. Something to consider.

I've considered. Not a factor. Already dead, not "alive".. Let go, already.

Tell that to the parents and wife of a healthy 20yr old young man recently married with a 1 yr old little girl, one year left before his degree. Other than his head wrapped with a bandage he looked like he would jump up and go for a bike ride. Not nearly as easy as you suggest......

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Organ donation is really pretty creepy IMO. Imagine being like a hot 22 year old and getting my heart. Wouldn't there be some sort of wiring issue there?

I would consider it if I knew I was dying. Maybe if I could do interviews or auditions or something.

But then once I got a suitable candidate, I'm just going to sign away my eyeballs or whatever? I mean, this is my body. My temple. Not a fugkin' soup kitchen. I'm gonna need some form of payment.

Lots to consider IMO.

Dave

They dont graft in black hearts. smile

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by centershot
While being an organ donor sounds very noble and can be great for the recipient it can also be a terrible burden on the family of the donor. My cousin was terminally injured in a car accident, the doctors keep him 'alive' until a recipient was ready. That was several days of hell, the hope that he may come out of the induced coma and survive was torture on the family. Something to consider.

So, part of your cousin still lives.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Yes. I received the liver of 32-year old angle I never met. I'm alive 4+ extr years now still being a dad to my kids, husband to my wife, and son to my Mom.

God bless all those who give.

Now that angle was a real angel.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bea175

Quiet a while if on a bypass pump
Best of luck to you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
will see how it goes if it ever happens, thanks

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 21 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.