Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
That's a fine rifle!
Got the Burris from a dealer and a friend of mine.
Has old school and doesn't feel that a scope should add anything to the price of a rifle. To such an extreme that I once bought a little Browning Medallion in 22-250 from him that had a 4.5-14 Leica on it for $375. Not kidding.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
K22 - have you run out of squirrels yet? :-)

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Talking tree rats, not the sage style, and I don't fiddle with parallax at all. Millet SP1 red dot. Have 3 and the rifles they are mounted on will all shoot sub MOA at 100 yds. Good enough for most anything I need down here in the swamps.

Ballpark $75.00, very functional, light and reliable.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
On the other side of the squirrel tree is my German kiplauf in 5.6x35R (.22 Hornet). I shoot nothing but cast bullets through it, 55 grainers @ a bit less than 1800fps.* I think of it as a souped up .22RF Magnum. Needless to say, it knocks squirrels ass-over-tin cups. The optics I opted for is the Chinese clone of the old discontinued Redfield 3/4" 4x. I think it's actually a better scope than the Redfield was and costs 1/3-1/2 as much (when you can find the old Redfield today). The original Redfield was/is a 3/4" tube and was actually built for use on centerfires, but I suspect they were/are used mainly on .22's.

I sometimes feel handicapped by the 4x, but it serves well. I wanted a dainty scope to put on a very dainty rifle (5 pounds with scope).

[Linked Image]

* The gun has an odd bore, but fairly normal by European standards: .226 groove diameter (I use .227 diameter bullets), with a 1-9" twist. Built in 1934. Groups well under an inch at 50 yards. Longest shot taken was an even 80 paces- it splattered Mr. Squirrels brains across the log.

I asked about those "GruBee wolf pup" Chinese knockoffs of RFC, but got nothing but grief from the nice folks over there.

Seeing is believing. Edge to edge sharpness, parallax free at rimfire ranges, positive repeatable adjustments. What's not to like? What exactly are they grieving about?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kragman1
K22 - have you run out of squirrels yet? :-)

grin

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Most of my .22LR squirrel rifles wear various 3x9 AO's, by Leupold, Burris, and Weaver, and more often than not they stay on 6X, unless i try to lob one way out there.

also hunt with quite a few rifles in 17mach2, 17HMR, and .22mag also, most of them wear 4-12xAO's or 4.5-14's of some sort, mostly Leupold, Sightron, Nikon, or Bausch & Lomb.

i prefer medium duplex, but 3 of mine also have Leupold Dot reticles, which i have grown to like. Don't care for fine duplex much, easy to lose the reticle in very low light in dark woods.

============================================================

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used several different rifle and scope combinations over a lot of years, starting in 1955 most have been 4xs or used at 4x. Overall they've been pretty much equally effective. The longest shot I recall was 85 paces with a 4x. Most shots on tree squirrels IME are considerably closer. A squirrel's head isn't that small a target at typical tree squirrel ranges if you know your rifle/ammo combination and can get a decent rest, like against the side of tree.

When I was a kid with good vision back in the 50s I killed a whole lot of squirrels with a Remington 511 and Weaver B4. Not a great scope by today's standards but I was surprised if I missed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blanket
I like the old Leupold VariX2c 4-12 with AO

Not the older one, but a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 AO on my CZ455 American.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i have a burris hunter 6x36 w/AO on my rem. 22 mdl 597. works good. they had a similar one in target model with high turrets. the hunter are short turrets.

an 8x would have been ideal, 6x is plenty good.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have two preferred scopes, the 3/4" Redfield 4x and Leupold Rimfire Special 4x.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I committed my longest shot on a squirrel at 125 paces to the bottom of the tall oak tree he was in the top of. Equipment: M1922M2 Springfield with Fecker small game scope, Eley Tenex. (It was my silhouette rifle and I knew how to spin the rear turret for 100M, then added a few more clicks for good measure.) My buddy Larry Shull watched me do it and sputtered afterward, saying anytime I needed a sworn witness to attest to my skill (luck), he would stand for it. Unfortunately he died last year and so did my proof, so y'all just have to take my word now!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have 3-9s on my squirrel guns. The 10/22 has a straight 4X on it currently, I'll probably switch that one out, sooner or later.

Not that they're needed, really, but they're available and work well enough for what I want, AND are useable at the range, too.

I've been tempted to "Hubble-ize" a rifle or two, just because, but I keep talking myself out of it.

As a general rule, almost all my squirrel shots are less than 35 yards. I don't get too worked up if someone else has another choice.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite squirrel rifle scope is the SWFA SS 10X42mm A.O.

I can adjust the parallax down for close up shots, or up for longer ranges.

It's GREAT to be able to see at 15-20 yards with 10X

Virgil B.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I committed my longest shot on a squirrel at 125 paces to the bottom of the tall oak tree he was in the top of. Equipment: M1922M2 Springfield with Fecker small game scope, Eley Tenex. (It was my silhouette rifle and I knew how to spin the rear turret for 100M, then added a few more clicks for good measure.) My buddy Larry Shull watched me do it and sputtered afterward, saying anytime I needed a sworn witness to attest to my skill (luck), he would stand for it. Unfortunately he died last year and so did my proof, so y'all just have to take my word now!

Sorry about your bud. Good buds (and witnesses) are hard to find. smile

Rock on.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess that I have been doing it all wrong. wink My go-to squirrel rifle is a 35-year-old Ruger 10/22 with a 4X El Paso Weaver scope in Weaver rings.

Of course, we have bigger squirrels out here in the Wild West... grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
My favorite squirrel rifle scope is the Leupold M8 6X Compact with the Leupold Dot reticle.....it is light scope with AO down to 10yds and "looks right" on a squirrel rifle (i.e. light sporter)......FWIW

PennDog

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You will never run out Squirrels. As fast as you shoot them, that's as fast as they replace themselves. I found a simple combo. A Ruger 10/22 with a cheap Tasco 3-9 X40 scope. The scope is surprisingly sharp for what they sell for. I use the 9 power when they play hide-and-seek with their heads and I usually keep it at 6 power unless I see one that thinks he has armor on and sits there looking at you from 20 yards or so. Then I crank it 3X and go for it. I have huge Oaks and they go to the top and use the trees as their highway, so most of my shots are about 40-60 yards. I don't think a fixed power scope would do for me, although I know a lot of guys use them.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by K22
... The 581 custom with the 6X Burris AO compact.
[Linked Image]

Nice stock ! Can you share details ? Where purchased ? Custom carved ? Thx...

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Nice stock ! Can you share details ? Where purchased ? Custom carved ? Thx...

This was a semi finished Bishop stock for the 541 Rem. I purchased from them before they went out of business. I did the finish work myself, but still haven't gotten around to checkering it. Someday maybe. crazy
The barreled action is not a 541 nor a 581, it's both. I took an old 581S I had, removed the barrel, added a second action screw, then added a 541S 3 screw trigger, then sent it off to Brian Voelker who squared the action, lapped the lugs, threaded the action, rechambered, crowned and threaded a 541T barrel. He assembled it all and Pillar bedded in the stock.
This is an early photo of it when I tried running it as a 581, no bedding and no second action screw..............and no accuracy frown You could move it all around in the stock.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for the info. It turned out very nice. I have a LH 581 that is fairly accurate. Currently wearing a well warn factory stock. Would love to have an upgrade like yours...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (1lesfox, 2alphas2, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 1,798 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.