Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good day, I would like to know if I should tape the front and sides of the recoil lug on a howa action? I know the bottom and rear should be left alone of the lug but not sure about the sides and front.

Thanks

Pieter

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tape just the bottom of the lug.

You do not want it bottoming out if it gets hot. With the angled front it will come out quite easily so there is no need to make it sloppy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

You do not want it bottoming out if it gets hot. With the angled front it will come out quite easily so there is no need to make it sloppy.

Will it not put stress on the action when you tape the bottom of the lug, as the front screw attaches to the lug itself? I tend to tape rem type lugs but thought the bottom of these should not be taped to avoid stress.

Pieter

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have never taped those actions when bedding, i do bed the first inch of the barrel though. Make sure you have the rear of the tang with at least .015 clearance if bedding it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m77
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Will it not put stress on the action when you tape the bottom of the lug, as the front screw attaches to the lug itself? I tend to tape rem type lugs but thought the bottom of these should not be taped to avoid stress.

Pieter

I view it as insurance against stress... the tapered lug bottoming out could change action screw tension suddenly whereas leaving the bottom floated would not.

I doubt it makes a whole lot of difference.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by m77

Absolutely not.

Solid bedding eliminates stress and provides uniform support of the entire action. It's a little more work but I favor full action bedding with the barrel floated, rather than just the lug. Action screw torque is non critical.

The Howa is a beefier action than Remy but with either I want to slightly draw the lug with solid contact on the sides but float the bottom.

If you don't tape it during the initial bedding you can relieve it later.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't put any tape on the lug of my Howa actioned Weatherby Vanguard.

It's the most boring rifle to sight in. I generally don't even shoot 3 rounds when I do. 2 touch at the same point of aim year after year. The 3rd round usually goes into a deer.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Total nobody here, but I want the action part with the screw in it to be bedded solid. If the lug is floating, and screwed down, then it would seem very torque sensitive. The higher torque the more the action would flex. This seems obvious, what am I missing? With a Rem. the lug is floated because it would become a fulcrum if it bottomed out before the action seated solidly. My observations, educate me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Total nobody here, but I want the action part with the screw in it to be bedded solid. If the lug is floating, and screwed down, then it would seem very torque sensitive. The higher torque the more the action would flex. This seems obvious, what am I missing? With a Rem. the lug is floated because it would become a fulcrum if it bottomed out before the action seated solidly. My observations, educate me.

There is full contact everywhere EXCEPT the 1"x.25" strip on the very bottom of the recoil lug. You're never going to budge it either way. I have tried it both ways and now choose to just make an identical cast of the action. The expansion/contraction of the action is not going to exceed that of the stock.....IMO.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I taped every side except the rear of the lug and mine is one of the best shooting rifles I have. I don't think it will effect accuracy if you tape or not but it makes removal easier if it is taped.

I also bed to the front of the chamber.

God Bless, Louis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not tape anything, with the barreled action simply sitting in the stock as the compounds harden. If needed I will put two wraps of masking tape around the barrel at the fore end to assure that it's floated. Bed the tang; front, sides, bottom and back of the recoil lug area, and barrel for the length of chamber. Recently gone to Johnson's Paste Wax as a release agent.

1Minute
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by m77
Good day, I would like to know if I should tape the front and sides of the recoil lug on a howa action?

No.

Travis

PS-You misspelled your name.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by m77
Good day, I would like to know if I should tape the front and sides of the recoil lug on a howa action?

No.

Travis

PS-You misspelled your name.

Dutch version grin

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info everybody.It seems like there are a few ways to skin a cat.

Seems like one of the most common ways is bedding the lug tight with no clearance. Nosler apparently also found that this is the best way accuracy wise. They also do not bed in front of the lug which is a plus if you switch barrels.

I spoke to a well known local gunsmith who did a lot of research and builds on the Musgrave RSA action that also has the front screw in the lug itself. He tapes the bottom of the lug but then beds about 1/2" under the barrel shank. He found that if he did not bed under the barrel shank, while taping the bottom of the lug that there was some flexing when tightening the front screw. This is what I thought would happen but guess if it works for some then it works.

Guess there will always be various ways.

Pieter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually bed about 2 inches of the barrel shank to support the chamber. I free float the rest of the barrel. Howa barrels are on the stiffer side so I don't think you'll need a pressure point at the tip of the forend.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m77
Thanks for the info everybody.It seems like there are a few ways to skin a cat.

Seems like one of the most common ways is bedding the lug tight with no clearance. Nosler apparently also found that this is the best way accuracy wise. They also do not bed in front of the lug which is a plus if you switch barrels.

I spoke to a well known local gunsmith who did a lot of research and builds on the Musgrave RSA action that also has the front screw in the lug itself. He tapes the bottom of the lug but then beds about 1/2" under the barrel shank. He found that if he did not bed under the barrel shank, while taping the bottom of the lug that there was some flexing when tightening the front screw. This is what I thought would happen but guess if it works for some then it works.

Guess there will always be various ways.

Pieter

On a proper bedding job, you'll stretch the screws before you bind the action.....bedded in front of the lug or not.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.