Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I never use my softshell. I prefer a puffy jacket or straight up rain jacket.

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I won't wear either of those when I'm climbing in dry weather.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I do not use soft shells for hunting generally. With hunting I control what I'm doing and can wear whatever the conditions call for. If I stop and get cold or it starts raining I can layer up. That's for jackets. I do wear really thin soft shell pants some.

The only time that I wear soft shells is for work. If I am limited to a certain set of cloths and the weather will be variable or unknown between 0 degrees and 70 degrees, and I do not control whether I can stop and change, and especially if I know that I will get wet-everything thing I wear will by synthetic and a soft shell jacket and pants will be the working layer. Soft shells are unmatched in "above 0 below 70 degree, constantly wet" environment.

Military patrolling use= best answer
Hunting western states= generally lighter, warmer options.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's definitely a trade-off with the weight, but one I'm willing to make. When I'm hunting I can control what I'm doing to a certain extent, but there are times when I just need to haul ass and not stop to adjust what I'm wearing. Or, times when I'm climbing and need to take a short break, but don't want to take the pack off, dig layers out, and layer up when I'm going to be moving again in five minutes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I hate to take off my pack unless static for>than 30 mins. My best combo for cold weather is all synthetics in several layers topped w/ a Marmot Precip jacket. Start out w/ all zips closed, a neck gaiter and a fur trapper hat. As exertion causes temps to rise the hood comes off, a more breathable lighter hat goes on, pit zips and neck zips get opened as necessary to control sweating as much as possible.

When stopping to glass or call reverse the process and add a primaloft or down jacket in which the caller, remote and extra batteries were wrapped w/ a chemical handwarmer. Yesterday when it clouded up and the wind started whipping I wore the Primaloft jacket under the rain shell for the downhill return to the truck. Temps ranged from 7* f to 24*f w/ winds from calm to about 15 mph.

I usually am w/ my wife and we carry extra stuff on an exterior pouch on our packs and assist each other w/ gear changes which is very efficient. Drink frequently, I use a timer in my watch and drink from my platy every 15 mins and do a Gu once per hour.

cold weather can be fun, somebody on this site has a sig line that states "there is no bad weather only bad gear.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 4 Gortex hard shells both 3 and 2 layer, two from Arcteryx, and I prefer wearing a soft shell most of the time.
Softshells are generally not fleeces, but exceptions exist in the case where fleeces have a wind/water resistant laminate
like Gore Windstopper which I have, but even then I found it accumulated a bit much condensation for some activities,
,so dropped it in favor of a plain more breathable soft shell from OR.

Aerobic activity in a hardshell and some soft shells still accumulate more moisture than I like to tolerate.

Activity in damp//lite drizzle conditions I will get less internal moisture from a soft shell than a hard shell.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,053 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.