Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not an Alaska resident but enjoy visiting the state for the fishing.

What is the opinion from Alaskans about opening ANWR to oil drilling? Is there a consensus among the people?

I only seem to read about politician's opinions, Alaskan and non-Alaskans. And of course, the energy companies (I live in Oklahoma) and the environmentalists who don't live there.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can say this, on the gulf coast, its seen a few spills over the years. There can be a temporary effect on fishing and wildlife but it goes away pretty quickly.

Wife and I fished in Valdez on our honeymoon. Caught salmon left and right off the beach on the side of the road.
This was 95, we found tar evidence only if you turned over enough "rocks" at teh water line...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not much fishing happening in ANWR. The area is known to have considerable potential and the state is in a bad way financially, of our own legislators' doing.

Drill Baby, drill!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I've heard about Gulf of Mexico, the oil platforms are fish magnets.
Sounds like a plus to me.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
anytime you put structure where there was none, you improve a fishery and the fishing. Every now and then a disaster is going to happen. Hurricane. Oil Spill etc...

I've often wondered how much "oil" goes into the ocean on a daily basis from runoff alone. Give that a percentage based on gallons of water. Compare frequency and percentage to an oil spill. Granted they are nasty when they happen and for a few years after.

But like I've said before, spill the oil in the pasture here at home and its like you dropped fertilizer there....

Just like an oil well that overflowed the waste water. It did kill a couple of our trees over 30 yeras of time. But the pasture is there the grass is as good as ever, and we got a benefit from the well a bit...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ANWR is on-shore, so no structural effects... and the Beaufort Sea is very shallow for a very long way off-shore and the only fishing is in the rivers and lakes. The window is mighty narrow for that.

In saltwater there is icefishing but no population to use it much. During the summers I got to do some fishing by helicopter and had unreal char, dolly varden, and salmon fishing well west of ANWR.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We need ANWR opened. It is a tiny part of the refuge that is available plus the directional drilling used further minimizes the impact/pad size.

Keep in mind the ANWR the liberals show in their *anti* ads is not the same ANWR where the drilling will occur.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Google on "KIC #1 well" and you'll see some pics of the landscape and learn about the ANWR anticipated petroleum production area.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some images for reference:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the info.
Great example of "a picture says a thousand words".

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Will Heimo Korth be forced out?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geez us Pete

When I went to the redwood forest with the fam many years ago there was some old biddy in the park lot with a petition to stop drilling in Anwr to save the polar bears

Tried to have a discussion with her that turned into an argument

Some lil fat hippy chick that claimed to have lived in Ak and her dreadlocked boyfriend chimed in on the old lady's side

We overtook that couple on the trail later going uphill so I slung my then 5 year old up on my shoulders and the wife and other kids passed them like they were standing still

Mentioned she must have not seen much of ak if that was their normal gate

I love this place and don't ever want to see it overdeveloped, but I loathe how east coast liberals benefitted from the use of their natural resources and now want Ak just to be a giant park that few of them will ever step foot upon

We're an extraction economy plain and simple

Drill and mine, but not pebble please

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Heimo is south of the Brooks Range and a long ways from the coastal tundra area. There should be no problem with cabin sites of "The Last Alaskans" reality program.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have worked my whole life in the oil and gas industry. Mostly offshore in the Gulf. It is foolish to not develop our own oil and gas fields on land that belongs to us. The govt gets a huge fee from it that almost equals what the IRS collects. At one time it was only 2 or 3 % less.
Set some standards like we have in the gulf and enforce them. Let people bid on leases and let them go in there and make themselves and our country some money. Plus it adds jobs and energy security. I's so cold there most of the year if you spilled oil you could scoop it up with a loader or back hoe. They can do it without making a mess if it is properly regulated.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The last estimate of total land impact for all development in ANWR was ~ 2,200 ac. That's for drill pads, roads, pipeline routes, holding ponds, structural pads for oil/gas production facilities, housing, maintenance, power generation, water treatment, etc...

All of those acres will not be in one giant facility, but scattered, so the overall impact will be dispersed.

One careful look at the effects on wildlife at Prudhoe Bay and you'll find that caribou numbers have climbed, the herds are healthy, the small game and birds are thriving, and the marine mammals are increasing.

The Native opposition from the NE Alaska Natives is racism, pure and simple. It is, and has been, fueled by the enviro-whackos since the beginning of the Prudhoe Bay exploration and development.

Drill, baby, DRILL!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Heimo is south of the Brooks Range and a long ways from the coastal tundra area. There should be no problem with cabin sites of "The Last Alaskans" reality program.

VernAK,
That was tongue in cheek, but I think you knew that.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You guys watch that chit? I made the connection only from context above....

Here is another way to look at it that I read somewhere:

If Alaska is a tennis court, ANWR occupies a newspaper sized piece, and the proposed drilling area (not actual acrage used- but the 8% above), is a postage stamp.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HEY!

Some folks believe all those Alaskan Reality Programs.

This time of year most of us are down to eating red squirrels ya know!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
HEY!

Some folks believe all those Alaskan Reality Programs.

This time of year most of us are down to eating red squirrels ya know!

If I lived in Delta a red squirrel might seem like the most suitable companion...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drill Baby Drill!

It's basically 2,000 acres out of a total of 20,000,000.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.