Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Plenty of heartbreak in this thread - nice to know I'm not alone. laugh

Misery loves company.

This^^^^.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
BP-B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
The second buck, the one with the wide spread, add some mass, and you have "Old Blunt Toes." When I first saw him, he was about 3 yrs. old based on his body mass and 34 wide X 22 high, four on each side. Tried to find him or fresh sign for the next 3 years. Never found either.
A good friend ran an intense survey of the Desert Bighorn living in that area. Said he found his tracks, but never saw him. In spite of covering the area on the ground and in the air with helicopters.
He finally got a video of him from a helicopter a year or two later. 7-9 points on a side and about 37 inches wide. I kept looking for him or his very distinctive tracks. Found nothing but a few old tracks.
Last year I found the tracks left by the one I wounded and lost in 2014. He's still alive. Lost seven pounds in three weeks looking for him. All I found were old tracks. That one was 33-34 wide and half that high with four points on a side.
Then there is the one I was shown a picture of at a water source while he was in velvet... Ever see a picture of a buck that would go well over 40 inches wide ? E
Dayom, O, i need to start hunting with you. grin

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I've had several, but the one that irks me the most happened during muzzleloader 3 or 4 years ago. I'd gotten the traditional bug, and had a 54 caliber Lyman Deerstalker that was wicked scary accurate, so I just knew I was good to go. Opening morning, one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen, before or since, stopped about 40 yards from me. He was at LEAST a 10 pointer, and likely a 12. I put the sights behind his shoulder, squeezed the trigger, and was greeted by the pop of the percussion cap only going off mad . As he ran off, I swear he was laughing........

I was already so hot I couldn't see straight, but recapped it, and picked out a spot on a tree, pulled the trigger.......... and BOOM! It was all I could do to keep from wrapping that rifle around the nearest tree. Anyway, I took it home, threw it in the closet, and went straight to the local gun shop and bought a brand new inline. I killed 3 other deer with it that year, but never saw Mr. Big again.

As a footnote, to illustrate the brutality of women, my wife STILL brings that up, and laughs................. cry

Man, sorry to hear that HH. Didnt know this earth had two of me.

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by roundoak
Was tagged out when I was fortunate to snap a picture of these two bucks in the Missouri Breaks.
[Linked Image]

What year did you take that pic?? And where did you take it??

[Linked Image]

I'd say that's him...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MDH and Huntsonora,

This file was shared by a taxidermist friend and I erroneously placed it in a root folder "Fergus County, MT" of the cloud according to my techy daughter.

Good catch.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MDH and Huntsonora,

This file was shared by a taxidermist friend and I erroneously placed it in a root folder "Fergus County, MT" of the cloud according to my techy daughter.

Good catch.

Wayne

Here is a cropped, non pixelated version of the same pic you shared and the following year...

When it comes to pictures of mule deer of this size there aren't many secrets.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsonora; 03/08/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a buck! No question about that being the same buck!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a few but the one that stings the most is a huge split browtine buck that was within 20 yards during archery season in ’95 or ’96. I had a stand on a bench in back of my buddies property at the time. It was like a sanctuary there. He had 45 acres in between 3 pieces of property that aren’t hunted and some of the deer trails cut 2-3 inches into the ground. My stand was in a stand of beech near an opening in a stone wall where 2 trails crossed. Leaves were still up as it was the last week of September. I spooked a couple deer on the way in that morning but was committed to that stand due to the wind so I climbed in anyway. It had rained the day before so it was really quiet and with the leaves up I couldn’t see very far. I was standing up looking in back of my tree about 8AM when I noticed a small buck passing to my left maybe 10 yards from my tree. He wasn’t anything I wanted to shoot and I started to turn to my left thinking there might be more deer coming. As I did that my boots which apparently had a little mud on them made a slight noise and the little buck looked up at me. I was mostly screened from him by the foliage below and I knew he couldn’t see me but was now on high alert so I glanced to my left and there was a monster split browtine buck that had just come thru the stone wall and was staring at the little buck. It might be the biggest deer I’ve ever seen in CT in body size and he had a rack to match but the little buck wasn’t calming down and his body language was clear to the big buck that something was wrong. He turned and took a few steps back down the trail but stayed there at a little over 20 yards but I didn’t have a shot at his vitals. I glanced down and the little buck had calmed down and took a few steps to his left and hopped over the wall and both bucks walked off. The whole thing probably took less than 5 minutes but seemed like a half hour. It was a heartbreaker having a buck like that in close and not even getting a shot. I know I talked about it a lot that fall. My wife got sick of it. It’s hard to explain to someone who’s not a hunter..

Last edited by Bill_N; 03/08/17.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Okanagan
What a buck! No question about that being the same buck!

There's no question that the other buck is the same buck either

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
A double drop tine Axis over 34" churns up some sad memories.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So many, so many.

Going back to when I was 16, driving down a road toward my grandpa's place with my dad and older brothers, just staring out the window at a cornfield. At the other end was the biggest live whitetail I've ever seen to this day. Nobody would believe me. I finally went nuts, we stopped and backed up, and away he ran never to be seen again. He was a Booner for certain.

Or, maybe "Scarface" about a decade ago. Hunted him for 3 years. First with a bow, then blew an opportunity with the bow the next year, then had him dead in my riflescope the third year during a blizzard about 3 minutes before season opened. He walked so slowly away, staring back at me. He was already going downhill antler-wise, but he was at least 24" wide whitetail. Nobody ever got him.

Or, maybe just two years ago, when I finally got a clean shot opportunity at a buck that I was after for two years. Muzzleloader season, finally found him, broadside, but at about 150 yards. We only can use open sights and I wasn't comfortable so I let him walk. He'd have made the muzzleloader book for sure. I couldn't find him this year but I haven't heard that anyone got him yet. He's a phantom, mostly nocturnal, but always crests a very high hill and stands there looking down on his lair about 1/2 hour before sunrise. Odd behavior, but consistent.

So many, so many others. I'm going to dream tonight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any one of these three on Granite Mtn in NW NV. whistle

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was sitting in a stand with my rifle on my lap, back against the tree, wind in my face. It was foggy, raining softly, and the wet woods were silent. I heard hoof beats on the dirt, angled behind me on my offside. I tilted my head back and out of the corner of my eye saw a large bodied deer approaching and a flash picture of dark and heavy antlers. I could risk shifting position to take him now at 25 yards, or wait until he passed close behind me. Hidden by the tree, I lifted my rifle to intercept him when he walked into view. The distance would be about 15 feet.

The buck froze behind my tree. I was also frozen, staring down through the sights of a .35 Remington at a patch of ground, waiting. I could hear the buck breathing, and I was sure he could hear my heart pounding. The sound of rain hitting the leaves at his feet somehow grew louder and louder. It seemed endless.

I heard the burst of air leaving the buck’s lungs as bounded straight away behind me. I knew it was over in that instant, but I stood and tried to frame the deer in my sights as he moved low and fast through the brush. I caught a glimpse of moving grey and brown before he disappeared.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I shot a big non typical 14 point quartering away hard this past muzzleloader season. I thought he was leaving my life forever. Didn't aim far enough back and missed vitals. Dang it.

He appeared five minutes after I got in the stand for a midday til dark sit. He was at 20 yards but behind lots of limbs. I took,the shot at about 80 yards.

Hopefully he will be back this year.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 03/08/17.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The BIG blacktail buck my brother and I jumped some years ago. I had the whole month to hunt but he was in Oregon on a non-res tag and just for the weekend...... I wanted him to kill it.... he never had a shot.... I HAD that buck.

Bro and I were 5 yards apart tops but a little cedar blocked his shot lanes. Afterwards he said, that was noble and all but next time SHOOT THE [bleep] BUCK! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora
MDH and Huntsonora,

Good catch.

Wayne

Here is a cropped, non pixelated version of the same pic you shared and the following year...

When it comes to pictures of mule deer of this size there aren't many secrets.

[Linked Image]

My god...those pictures look relatively recent. Any chance he is still alive?

Is it true that he's in SW Wyoming?

Popeye sure turned a lot of heads in this area....AFAIK, he was never killed by a hunter, but is for sure gone by now.
[video:yahoo]https://youtu.be/P7xqkxNFfbs[/video]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Only deer I wished to have a chance at I saw as a teenager. My brother and I were standers on a deer drive during Pa.'s long forgotten three day deer season. We where young and eager to get some doe on the ground and were fifty yards apart on a field edge looking into a narrow wood lot that always produced doe on a drive. With our backs to the field I was checking every flickering leaf and twig sound . All of a sudden my brother gives me a Psst... I calmy wave him off,then he says "Dude look at the buck behind us!" I turned my head and there half way between us stood a beautiful 6x6 buck with about a 20" spread and nice even long tines. He was only 30 Yds from either of us and did not spook right away, like he knew he was safe. He snorted and then turned and trotted across the field and down in a deep brush choked valley. We never before or after seen any deer near his sixze in that area . When the drivers arrived we were standing with our backs to the woods looking at where he disappeared, talking and never did see the 4 doe they claimed the pushed to us........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One year in PA's flintlock season I had about a 120" 8 pointer come past me in a drive and stop dead at 75 yards. Of course the flintlock didn't go off.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This one got my attention....never killed him.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can see why he has your attention. This thread is awesome!

Camp is where you make it.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.