-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi, my name is Will. I'm a simple blue collar guy, family man from NW Oregon. Outside of my family the outdoors is my #1 passion more specifically big game hunting (bow and rifle) and salt water fishing. Recently I've gotten into hand loading and want to give long range shooting a go. I've been on ifish dot net for a number of years and am looking to branch out. I mostly like looking at pictures and reading success stories from people's hunts. This seems like a good place to do so! If you're a member there too drop me a line so I can put the pieces together smile I'll add some more stories as time permits to the appropriate board. I've been a Pacific City Doryman my whole life. My family has been fishing out of there for three generations. I've got too many stories to put into one post so I'll just do some pictures this time. If you have the time google or YouTube "pacific city dory" add "launch" or "landing" to your search to see the unique way we get on and off the water wink

Fist time on the salt
[Linked Image]

Good day
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some of you may recognize one of Oregon's own outdoors personalities; Scott Haugen. It was a pleasure to get him out and spend a day with him "behind the scenes" he's as real and down to earth as they come. Him his wife Tiffany and two sons came up for dinner. Turns out his son's favorite teacher is my short friend pictured above with the halibut. Small world smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/wildwilly189/fishing/ca4e1df4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/wildwilly189/fishing/351fcbb0_zps368a9d7d.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/wildwilly189/fishing/cb083cbc.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/wildwilly189/fishing/97162f3e_zpsf8c55baa.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/wildwilly189/fishing/eac3d973.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/wildwilly189/fishing/30b44000_zpsd5715426.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/wildwilly189/fishing/eeaa54aa.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Bulls_Bucks_Boars; 03/02/17.

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry idk why a lot of my pictures aren't showing. I'll get them up when I figure it out

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey Will, welcome to the Fire! Nice pics. I think you can only put up so many per post. So, you can edit them(links) out of your first post on this thread and then put them in your second and third posts in this thread. Like so:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
URL=http://s211.photobucket.com/user/wildwilly189/media/fishing/351fcbb0_zps368a9d7d.jpg.html][Linked Image][/URL]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well what do you know!?!? thanks smokinggun!

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for sharing the photos.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice fish!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome New Guy,

You're not the only one that's ever launched a boat off the beach. It was how we went fishing out of Anchor Point, Alaska. Here's the boat I had when I lived in Ak and a few fish pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey fishhead! I've seen videos of people launching V-hull boats off the beaches and into the surf of AK, looks like it can be a circus! Every year someone in a sled tries at PC and rarely, if ever, have I seen it go according to plan. We've had to help more than a few out. That being said I like those bayrunners, it would definitely be the way to go. If I ever get away from dories a bayrunner would be the route I take. Perfect for crossing bars and running off shore for butts and albies or picking the righ day and hitting the reefs off of PC. I hear ppl complain of the rough ride when running full tilt off shore but it can't be worse than a flat bottomed boat of the same weight lol

Last edited by Bulls_Bucks_Boars; 04/13/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey back at ya B,B, & B

Actually it's easy to beach launch out of Anchor Point with the right set-up. The extreme Cook Inlet tides (10' to 20' low to high - depending) and the very shallow sloped bottom is what made it possible. I could launch and never get my truck wet.

What you'd do is launch on an incoming tide, fish both sides of the slack tide (which was the best time for halibut), and pick-up on the outgoing tide. I covered the trailer bunks with the plastic used on snow sleds and one person (two was easier) could push it off the trailer and it would slide on without a ton of effort. Back up to the water's edge, push the boat off, go park the truck, and by the time you got back the boat would be floating. Paddle out, fire up the motor, and go fishin'.

To pick it up you'd run up to the beach, pull the motor, hop out, drag it up as far as you could, and then go get the truck. By the time you got back the boat was sitting high and dry on the beach. I had the rear roller set up where you could back the trailer up under the bow, lift the boat up, and get it halfways on. Then just wench it up and over and you'd be set to go.

It took me a couple a years to get the trailer and boat dialed in for beach launching but in the end I could launch it and pick it up by myself. One day I forgot my hip boots and launched it wearing hiking boots and never got my feet wet. It was a very calm day though.

The other option at Anchor Point was using the tractor to launch but they charged $45.00 to put you in and pick you up back in the 90s. If you had a bigger heavier boat it was the only way you could get out and fish there. The tractor could launch a 25 foot + boat and it's what the charter boats did.

Good fishin' to ya !!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome!

I have hunted and fished with Scott for over 20 years and he often calls or gets together with me when passing through Anchorage. He is a good guy and knows his way around critters, fish, and birds very well...

art

Last edited by Sitka deer; 05/02/17. Reason: typo

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
i am so jealous, nice fishing there guys, the two shark looking fish looks really great.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
i am so jealous, nice fishing there guys, the two shark looking fish looks really great.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I only see halibut, king salmon, albacore, and lingcod... assume you have to be talking about the lingcod. We get lots of them up here, much bigger, too. The halibut are exceptional for that part of the ocean.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
some ginormous fish over here, damn. congrats.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wow!!

We catch a bunch of flounder in Florida, but ours don't get that big!! grin

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bulls_Bucks_Boars
[Linked Image]

Nice pictures!! Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy when y'all post photos of places I have never been, and probably will never have the opportunity to visit, especially the Alaskan and saltwater variety.

As a salt novice, I have to ask, what in the Sam Hell is that fish you're holding onto there? A Cod? Based on its iridescent eye, I'm guessing its from deep water?

Last edited by J23; 05/15/17.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by J23
Originally Posted by Bulls_Bucks_Boars
[Linked Image]

Nice pictures!! Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy when y'all post photos of places I have never been, and probably will never have the opportunity to visit, especially the Alaskan and saltwater variety.

As a salt novice, I have to ask, what in the Sam Hell is that fish you're holding onto there? A Cod? Based on its iridescent eye, I'm guessing its from deep water?

That is a Ling Cod not to be confused with "Alaskan cod" you might see on a menu at a restaurant. We catch them off the reefs and rock piles at 30-120' I don't know their deepest range. They can weigh north of 60lbs but around where I'm from a 30lber is the gossip benchmark and that one was about 23. The one I'm holding in the smaller picture was 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

349 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 36 invisible), 1,648 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.