Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Mods feel free to move to the lever action board if you feel it would be more appropriate there...

Hi, my name is Will. I'm a simple blue collar guy, family man from NW Oregon. Outside of my family the outdoors is my #1 passion more specifically big game hunting (bow and rifle) and salt water fishing. Recently I've gotten into hand loading and want to give long range shooting a go. I've been on ifish dot net for a number of years and am looking to branch out. I mostly like looking at pictures and reading success stories from people's hunts. This seems like a good place to do so! If you're a member there too drop me a line so I can put the pieces together smile I'll add some more stories as time permits to the appropriate board.

Not much to this story, spring bear season on the Oregon coast. I was still hunting through a timbered draw to another clear cut and caught movement 45 yards up the hill. I drew a bead and dropped the hammer. The bear did a summersault and came down the hill straight at me! Not a charge just I was standing smack in the path of least resistance. I threw the lever as fast as I could and got two more rounds off, both landed, before the bear crumpled from a spine shot less than 5 paces-close enough to need to change my shorts lol!!! Not the biggest bear in the world but the trophy values lies in the fact I used my great grandfathers rifle smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We had this picture on our mantel when I was a kid but when my dad moved this picture went MIA... I was visiting my great aunt (this guy's daughter) a while back and saw this tucked away in a corner! This is my great grandfather, a Czech immigrant who learned English during primary school here in the states. I think he only had about a 5th-6th grade education but spoke 4 languages and could play concert violin. During the depression the moved out west from N Dakota where he settled in Milton-Freewater and found work building the dams to provide for his wife and 4 daughters. Nobody living knows the exact date, other than "sometime in the 40's," he headed up the Blue Mountains to find some meat for the table and came home with this stud bull. That model 94 chambered in ".30 WCF" now lives in my safe and shoots just as well today as it did then. I'm the 3rd male with the same first name in 4 generations to get blood on that gun. I can't wait to pass it down to my kids someday!

[Linked Image]

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post. Great pics.
I love this kind of stuff.

Really like the pic with the bull and the fact that he didn't seem to require the modern weaponry deemed essential today.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great heritage there, and start an album dedicated solely to that unit.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great stuff BBB!
Congrats on the bear.

A lot of family history right there too - your Great Grandfather would be proud ; pass it on.............

Welcome to the campfire,
-Ted smile

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Will, you sure get around, huh? Love the pics and story, again. Thanks for posting.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Great story & pictures from a "simple blue collar guy." That, in & of itself, is an inherited gene.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story, thanks for posting. I love all the "heirloom gun" (as I call 'em) stories that pop up here occasionally. I've got a few heirlooms in the safe and some of my fondest hunting memories involve using them in the field.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I only have two long guns that I bought for myself, and one is for sale. Firearms are a special tool in my family, handed down through the generations

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great post. When handling older guns that show honest use, I wish they could tell me the tales of their trips afield.
It is special when you own one that has some real history that you know.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Very nice! Thanks for the story!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice! Great story and ultra cool rifle. Heckuva elk as well from your grandfather.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Cool story! Nice to see that those "old Rifles" can still kill stuff! :-))

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice story, thank you for sharing. A great connection to your heritage. Shot my first der with a 30-30 then got magnumitis. I have since(mostly) moved back to non magnums without any problems filling the freezer. My brother has the 30-30, though it's not an heirloom piece, I have my dads 270 and Auto 5 for that. Thanks again for the story.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yay! for old guns and thank you very much.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That is super cool; the only thing cooler than a classy rifle is a classy FAMILY rifle.

Awesome score man and welcome to the 'fire!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Will,

Welcome aboard, congrats, and thanks for sharing a very nice story!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!! Thanks for the post and great pics.. Have my grandfather's rifle and my dads, but don't hunt them much... Should do that..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A 30-30 has killed Elk....who knew? Great story by the way.

Doc

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice bear and great story. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool. I still hunt with open sight .30-30's as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Neat!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Good story and great that you use your grandfather's​ rifle! I have also been an ifish member! Don't go there much anymore, to confined in their moderating! What unit did the bear come from, I see you said NW Oregon!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Good story and great that you use your grandfather's​ rifle! I have also been an ifish member! Don't go there much anymore, to confined in their moderating! What unit did the bear come from, I see you said NW Oregon!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Very cool. I have my late grandfather's model 94 30 wcf as well.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Heym-

I do most of my elk and bear hunting in the trask unit. My bull (in the elk hunting board), this bear and the bear I posted in the archery board came from the trask unit

I like the freedom and subject matter here a lot more but the redirects when using my phone are killer!

Sure is a lot easier to sell stuff here than ifish wink

Last edited by Bulls_Bucks_Boars; 03/15/17.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.