Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've only killed 4 in my life. That was last year at the 24Hr Hog hunt. All were head and neck shots with a 30-06. All of them went down, however, one of them I got high on the neck and was still alive and had to shoot it again. I think most of the guys on the hunt recommended the head or neck, so that where I placed them.

This year I'll be using a 300 Blackout with 110gr TTSX's. I hope I'll have good results but I'm a little worried. I'm not sure if I should try the shoulder or not. I found the neck is a big enough target, but as captdavid said, they don't stop moving. Wish me luck, we'll be perforating pigs Thursday through Saturday this week.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A good bud, who's killed a lot of hogs, says aim 2/3rds up the shoulder which hits the spine. High shoulder, forward along the neck to the head seems optimal.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I agree the neck shot is a drt, if you hit the spine. But again, you must hit the spine, or the jugular. As the brain is the size of a tangerine, the neck bone (technical term, hehe) is about the size of a 2x4. They've both harder to hit than a soccer ball! captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My first pig was a shoulder shot one with a 44 mag at 42 yds and it ran a ways so I quit that.

Now I neck shoot em & I've used 30-06, 257 AI, and 6-250 on those shots and the pigs and I couldn't tell the difference.

My son shot a pair of pretty good sized boats with a 90 gr from my 6-250 and it worked beautifully.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ron--great story.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
few, I'm not sure I understand. How far did it run before you found it? Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have seen a couple that the eyes have blown out. It's kinda creepy looking. The pigs I have killed with my bow haven't gone too far except one I shot in the ass. I try to hit them quartering away. Bow bullet goes into heart. They are hard to kill with a bow. Pig has a better nose than a deer. I like to hear them squeal.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Full disclosure: I have never hunted hogs and have no experience in doing so. Given the nature of this thread, however, I am copying and pasting this exerpt from a PM I got several years ago here from a fellow I was discussing .224 deer bullets with back and forth. The bullet in question is the 65 grain SGK:

and on the last day I shoot a decent boar about 150 lbs with the 223. He was about 90 yards broadside. I was going to shoot him behind the ear. I thought no, that is no test of a bullet. So I held it dead on his shoulder and broke the shot. I expected him to run off really mad. When I pulled the trigger he hit the ground kicked 2 times and was DRT. I kept the cross hairs on him for about 5 minutes expecting him to get up. When I rolled him over on his back to field dress him, I saw an exit wound right behind the off side shoulder. I was shocked. The exit was about 33 caliber in diameter. I was impressed for a 65 gr. bullet out of a 223. I know one shot proves nothing, but I am convinced it will work on whitetail. They are not nearly as heavy built as a hog. A hog has thick heavy skin, gristle plate and bones. That little bullet plowed through all of it. I have to wonder if the 65 gr. Sierra might be a fur friendly bullet. Seems pretty tough, I am sure it wouldn't blow up.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I've never found pigs hard to kill, and don't specifically shoot for the shoulders, I do always use a bullet and load that gives complete penetration no matter where they're hit though.

I DO shoot deer and elk in the shoulders.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A gunner killed pig is a super dead pig... grin

Probably scared to death by a humongous fire belching BP Sharps.

Hits are optional... shocked

DF

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cra1948
Full disclosure: I have never hunted hogs and have no experience in doing so. Given the nature of this thread, however, I am copying and pasting this exerpt from a PM I got several years ago here from a fellow I was discussing .224 deer bullets with back and forth. The bullet in question is the 65 grain SGK:

and on the last day I shoot a decent boar about 150 lbs with the 223. He was about 90 yards broadside. I was going to shoot him behind the ear. I thought no, that is no test of a bullet. So I held it dead on his shoulder and broke the shot. I expected him to run off really mad. When I pulled the trigger he hit the ground kicked 2 times and was DRT. I kept the cross hairs on him for about 5 minutes expecting him to get up. When I rolled him over on his back to field dress him, I saw an exit wound right behind the off side shoulder. I was shocked. The exit was about 33 caliber in diameter. I was impressed for a 65 gr. bullet out of a 223. I know one shot proves nothing, but I am convinced it will work on whitetail. They are not nearly as heavy built as a hog. A hog has thick heavy skin, gristle plate and bones. That little bullet plowed through all of it. I have to wonder if the 65 gr. Sierra might be a fur friendly bullet. Seems pretty tough, I am sure it wouldn't blow up.

================================================================================

I can say I would have a good bit of confidence in the 65gr. gameking having shot a big armadilla at around 150 yards with a 12tw 22-250 .
It praire dogged the diller -pieces flew , no doubt it would wreck a hog with good shot placement .

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/07/17.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have a custom Mini 14, .223 that just loves the 65 gr. Gameking, best shooting bullet in that gun.

It's a good bullet and a killer.

DF

Edited to add, a lot depends on velocity. A great bullet at .223 speeds may be less than optimal at .22-250 speeds. I haven't tried the 65 gr. Gameking in my .22-250, it's great in the .223. I have other bullets for the .22-250, save the Gamekings for this rifle.

I've posted before, matching bullet construction/terminal performance to velocity is an art.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/08/17.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Dirt farmer - Tell us about that Mini-14.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
Dirt farmer - Tell us about that Mini-14.

It's a full custom by Accuracy Systems. Their prices are WAY more now than when I had this done. Here's their link. http://www.accuratemini14.com/index.php Expensive but good work. Glad I got mine done back when.

This Ranch Rifle had been carried for years in a pickup, used by my cow hands to kill 'yotes. When I got it back, the barrel was toast, it was sorta "used" if you get my drift. So, I felt it was fully "depreciated" and I could justify spending what was needed for it to have a second life.

It had their three screw bedding, trigger job, SS match barrel with brake, custom gas port. I took the factory stock, cut the comb off on a table saw, glued on a piece of pine, shaped it to suit, then applied Brownells wrinkle paint.

Here's a picture of their three screw bedding and the brake which directs gases forward. It's not as loud as some.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by captdavid
few, I'm not sure I understand. How far did it run before you found it? Captdavid

75 yds? With thick, thick cover nearby that's quite a distance.

And 75 yds further than they run when neck shot.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
They are a bit spendy, aren't they? Just add the cost of a really good AR to your Mini-14 and you've got a pretty good rifle.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, you get more accuracy out of the box with an AR. Even a cheap AR will probably outshoot most Mini 14's.

I justified mine by figuring the well "used" Mini as not having much value.

A Loony will justify what he has to justify... blush

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For the last 8-10 hogs I've killed I took only head shots. They were all one shot kills and damaged virtually no good meat.

If I could not get a clean head shot, I did not shoot.

The whole process has worked extremely well for me.

Your mileage may vary, but I doubt it!!

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting discussion. I have shot pigs with my 220, 270, 223, and 260. The 270 works great. The 220 kills them, but they run a ways. The 223, depending on the bullet, can work Ok. And for the last few years, I've tried 100 gr Nosler BT's and 120 gr BT's in the 260. I shoot em in the shoulder, and I am now firmly convinced that the 120 gr in the 260 is noticeably more effective on hogs than the 100 gr version.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by captdavid
Have you ever taken out a pigs shoulder, penetrate, the area between, and had one run? Captdavid

No. Shoulders and forward...dead. Behind shoulders...maybe dead, but takes awhile. Or, they'll just plain run off. I've blood trailed behind the shoulder shot hogs 400 yards, spittin' it out, until I figured the coyotes needed them more than I did. Never finding them.

This year I reached 150, so I have quite a bit of experience, and quite a few different situations.

223, 6.8, 708, and 284 WIN.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.