[video:youtube]dE3EfWdxj0U[/video]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
my favorite shot is as follows

[Linked Image]

draw an imaginary line between the ear and shoulder and place a well constructed bullet two inches (or so)below the ear on that line. Severs the spine and they drop and paddle

Do that and they will drop and paddle! No tracking necessary!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a skosh back

[Linked Image]

or forward

[Linked Image]

one is still good

ya!

GWB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GWB ,

I like to neck shoot pigs also , I prefer a little further back closer to the shoulder than the neck/skull juction.

That way if a pig lifts its head up or down the pivot point at the base of the neck moves very little. It will bruise the back-strap if shooting a powerful fast opening bullet .

Also hitting them with your favorite varmint rifle/bullet in that spot drops them on the spot . I much prefer hard hitting fast opening bullets down here , if a pig can run 20 yards you will be crawling through God only knows what to find it.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by captdavid
I am a huge fan of shooting pigs through at least one shoulder, with enough gun. I believe 22 calibers are generally too small and the 24s are marginal. Using the right bullet, in the hands of an experienced shot, they can work, but as I said are marginal in my opinion.
Sorry I'm so long winded. Here is the question.
Have you ever taken out a pigs shoulder, penetrate, the area between, and had one run? Captdavid

Im a fan of the .22s and brain shots..... grin

[Linked Image]

Only ever shot one otherwise...shoulder/neck and did it with the " Buig" gun..a 6.8spc

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gunner, I was following you until you flipped to the dark side, charcoal burning, nasty smoke and such.

You one of those guys who think smokeless is a passing fad, won't stand the test of time...? cry

DF

Blackpowder in a Colt SAA 45 is cool as hell to shoot DF, accurate and no leading too. wink

I don't mind the quick cleanup.

Trump Won!
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Gunner, I was following you until you flipped to the dark side, charcoal burning, nasty smoke and such.

You one of those guys who think smokeless is a passing fad, won't stand the test of time...? cry

DF

Blackpowder in a Colt SAA 45 is cool as hell to shoot DF, accurate and no leading too. wink

Never got bit by that bug...

BP does make a different racket.

You still think smokeless is a passing fad..?

I've heard that opinion among hard core BP shooters... grin

DF

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I'm headed to the pig killin' fields in Llano county this morning. Our 34th annual Spring Break hunt. Aka Coal Creek Ministries hog slaughter. I'm actually hauling a flintlock this year. I may even get farther than 100 yards from the camp kitchen! (Fried chicken tonight!!!).

If I shoulder shoot a porcine creature with a .490 RB I'll get a photo. (Depends on just how ambitious I get) They've all gone down pretty quick in the past. Hell I'll take a photo of something anyway and post it. Been my experience you can eat all the way up to the hole! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gunner500

DF

Never got bit by that bug...

BP does make a different racket.

You still think smokeless is a passing fad..?

I've heard that opinion among hard core BP shooters... grin

DF

LOL, no, smokeless is here to stay and definitely has it's place, cant imagine 150 grs of black powder under a 600 gr Woodleigh in my 505 Gibbs. shocked ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I'm headed to the pig killin' fields in Llano county this morning. Our 34th annual Spring Break hunt. Aka Coal Creek Ministries hog slaughter. I'm actually hauling a flintlock this year. I may even get farther than 100 yards from the camp kitchen! (Fried chicken tonight!!!).

If I shoulder shoot a porcine creature with a .490 RB I'll get a photo. (Depends on just how ambitious I get) They've all gone down pretty quick in the past. Hell I'll take a photo of something anyway and post it. Been my experience you can eat all the way up to the hole! wink

Gonna have to get me a flinter someday KW, good luck and good shooting.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Good luck, buddy! Kill a biggun'.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Good luck, buddy! Kill a biggun'.

One better.. good luck, kill a eating size one. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Those old flinters were something in their day, nothing to sneeze at now.

I remember the British account of the Battle of New Orleans. The Redcoats were in a dense fog several hundred yds. advancing on Andy Jackson's lines. Officers were mounted and could be seen above the fog, foot soldiers pretty well obscured. Rules of warfare in that day frowned on shooting officers.

A British officer reported the following: Standing on a cotton bale at around 300 yds. was a rifleman. He was handed a loaded Kentucky rifle, following a puff of smoke an officer would fall out of his saddle. This kept up, a mounted officer falling at every shot. They couldn't dismount, they couldn't turn back, they had to move forward with the famous British stiff upper lip. That's the way they were trained, that's the way they fought.

I alway found that interesting. Asymmetric warfare, effective tactic, small force battling a larger force, changing tactics to one's advantage. The British didn't like it, they lost. Andy, his Tennessee volunteers, Jean Lafite's pirates, a rag tag band whipped the finest army on the face of the earth. Those old flinters played a major role. Dominique You, Lafites master gunner with his ship's cannons didn't hurt...

DF

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...Been my experience you can eat all the way up to the hole! wink

I've heard of the hog hunter that loved pork chops so much that, every time he butchered a hog, the first pork chop had a hole in it and the last one had a tooth in it. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Most of my hog kills have been with a 257 Wby and a 115 NBT at 3400fps. All shot through the high shoulder or neck area and all DRT. I even killed 2 with one shot. The bullet exited the shoulder of a small boar and hit a piglet behind him. One shot and 2 dead pigs.

I shot a 140ish pound sow in the shoulder with a 55 NBT from my 220 Swift. She fell at the shot and kicked a few times and that was it. I was surprised to learn the bullet passed completely through, even after being started at 3800 fps. Distance was 110 yds. I figured the bullet would've completely disintegrated inside the hog.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Went to lease Thursday to set trap gate. Going back Sunday to fill feeders. Hope to catch a pen full of pigs. Sure is fun to have 10 or 12 to shoot up with an AR!!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Lots of pigs this year. Just didn't see any to my liking. Son shot one Saturday evening. Most all pigs I saw were piglet grade. A bit too small. And LOTS of them.

I posted pic of his pig in muzzleloading thread.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Went to lease Thursday to set trap gate. Going back Sunday to fill feeders. Hope to catch a pen full of pigs. Sure is fun to have 10 or 12 to shoot up with an AR!!

You use an AR for trapped pigs?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Why not? Pen is 20 feet in diameter. The pens I have in west Texas are only 34" high. You wouldn't want to get real close if there is a good size pig in there. We have some that jump out. I'm in the process of raising the pens to 4 feet high. The pen we built last year in east Texas is 5 foot high. It would take a athletic pig to get over it. We caught one yesterday, he got nearly to the top a couple of times. He would weigh around 225.

Last edited by hanco; 03/20/17.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

Killed this pig yesterday. Pen is behind my boy.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[IMG]http://a67.tinypic.com/9qbn7q.jpg[/IM

I can't figure out why it posted pic the first time and not this time? It will come up if you click on it.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.