Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wear gaiters and don't forget the deet. The pepper ticks will eat your azz up.

[img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Besides that like said before practice walking, getting out of breath and shooting quickly off of sticks. Also, if you are bringing guns, don't skimp on the gun case. It will get destroyed. Also be willing to trade animals if your PH will allow you to. Sometimes unusual trophies present themselves.

G
GAZ32 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by kscowboy01

Lots of good info there, thanks for taking the time to put that together!

Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

Are you at Cannon? I think I recognize this story from another website.

No, but I did post something similar on arfcom.

Originally Posted by GRF
Take a good digital camera or teo. Take lots of pictures of everything especially animals. Spend lots of time with your trophy pictures; most PHs are very good with this.

Consider euro mounts and spend more money on hunting and less on taxidermy. Have some of the hides tanned to leather and have products make at home. My first batch of leather went into 3 briefcases and a purse. The second batch is being made into 2 purses a backpack and 3 carry on bags. When the third batch arrives hopefully into boots.

Just my thoughts.

That sounds awesome. Do you have any pics of the bags?

Last edited by GAZ32; 02/26/17.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sorry I don't they are being right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GAZ32
My first safari .....

I was the only one who bid, so I won by default.

Good job! Know that your PH has donated this safari. If you have a first class time, tip him as generously as you can afford and see fit. In other words, scratch his back a little. These donated hunts keep our sporting organizations going. Your PH is hoping you'll have a good hunt and be a good reference.

I booked my trip for April 1-10 with my quarry being kudu, gemsbuck, zebra, impala, and blesbuck. Though if I see a trophy bushbuck or waterbuck I'm probably going to shoot.

Good time of year, but could get warm in the afternoon. Sunscreen and DEET are in order. Your menu there is outstanding, but I don't see springbok. How can you go to RSA and not get the national symbol?? smile

I'm bringing my mountain rifle. A Tikka T3 lite in 300WM with some hand loaded Nosler ETIPs over H1000.

Good choice. It will not let you down.

A safari had always been on my bucket list, but only being 27, I was planning on getting some more Western, CONUS hunts in first. But... opportunities like this don't come often.

I was that age at the time of my first trip to RSA. Ruined me for life! A dozen trips to Africa including Zambia, Tanz, and Cameroon. Going back to Zambia next year.

There is not a day that goes by that I haven't thought of Africa since I first went. It will be a great experience.

I have everything lined up as of now... does anyone have any last minute advice?

The guys have told you good stuff. You will do a lot of shooting off of sticks. It works so practice. Take a camera with extra batteries charged. Take a small journal and write down each days experiences. Learn about the country, the people, the history and the land.

James Mitchner's The Covenant is required reading.

If you have NOT read Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark, order it today. It will fire you up.

This is one time in your life that it is ok to stretch the budget a bit. Like Ingwe said, take half the clothes and double the cash.

Enjoy!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Great advice about the journal. I refer to the ones from my hunts with some frequency.

G
GAZ32 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by tmc0304
Besides that like said before practice walking, getting out of breath and shooting quickly off of sticks. Also, if you are bringing guns, don't skimp on the gun case. It will get destroyed. Also be willing to trade animals if your PH will allow you to. Sometimes unusual trophies present themselves.

Beautiful example you have there. I'm bringing a pelican 1750 that's seen it's fair share of airline abuse. I hear they're a little more rough in RSA...

Originally Posted by hatari
snip

I may have to throw in a springbok in there as well.

I'll definitely be going back, but I have a few things I want to get to first... Water buffalo in Australia and a Marco Polo/ Mid Asian Ibex combo hunt in Kyrgyzstan to be the most noticeable two.

I have read the Ruark book, but picked up The Covenant off of Amazon today!

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Where are you going? It is a cheap hunt but you want to have a good hunt. YMMV on hunting concessions in South Africa.

Use a meet and greet like Air 2000 for importing rifles.

Carry a copy of all airline and TSA regs regarding firearms.

Get a Hep A and tetanus vaccine.

Bring a notepad and right about your experiences each day.

Take more pictures. Bring a spare camera.

Research trophy cost while you are still here and semi rational about such things.

Electrical adapters for South Africa.

Warm coat for cool mornings.

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is a copy of my checklist for my wife and I on our last trip to Botswana. I edited it for personal items but it gives you and idea what to take.

Airline Itinerary
Passports
Copies of both Passports
U.S. Customs 4457 Forms
Safari Contract
Firearms Importation Paperwork
Copy of TSA and Airline Regs regarding Carriage of Firearms
Travel Cancellation Insurance
Folder to Carry Papers
All Paperwork/Files transferred to Laptop
Credit Cards
Credit Card Pin#
Money (Bring plenty for tips and extra animals + another $1000)
Money Travel Pouches
Address, phone number, and e-mail address of Safari Lodge and Afton Guest House
Driver’s License
Cell Phones and Charger
Rifles
Ammo
Ammo boxes
Belted ammo case for 9,3
Rifle Slings
Ballistics in Cellphone
2 Gun Socks
Cleaning Rod, Patches, Jag
Guncase with name in several places Plus Safari info on case (final destination)
Extra Locks and Keys
Shooting Sticks (check they have some at camp)
Torx Wrenches to fit Scope Screws
Swiss Army Knife
Leatherman Multitool
Oily Rag
Ear Plugs
2 pair Binoculars
2 Binocular Straps
Lenspen
2 Fenix Flashlights
Extra Flashlight Batteries
2 Cameras
4 Camera Batteries
2 Camera Chargers
5 SD Cards
Computer and Charger
1 Gal Ziploc Bags
Fanny Pack
220/110 AC International Adapters
Sunglasses and Case
Leather Belt
Jacket
Gloves (yes bring them)
Balaclava (that, too)
Hat
Bandana
Gaiters
Extra Shoelaces
2 Reading Glasses
The Perfect Shot and African Field Guide
Drugs both prescription and OTC
Cough Drops, Dramamine
Cipro, Doxycycline
Saline Solution Spray (dry air)
Band-Aids Neosporin Moleskin
Neck Pillows
Chapstick
Sunscreen (bring extra)
Sunburn Lotion
Needle, Heavy Duty Thread, and Safety Pin
Wet Ones, Clorox Wipes, Flushable Wipes, Tissues
Deet (small)
Duct Tape and Masking Tape
Envelopes, Notebook, and Pen
Expense sheet from Taxidermist so you do not get to excited bringing everything back

This is a quick list of what you should pack BEFORE you leave on your trip (and keep in a safe place while you're traveling):
Color copies of your passport. At minimum, one for your luggage (or the hotel safe), and another to leave with a friend back home.
Extra passport photos
A list of emergency contact phone numbers, since nobody even remembers their parents' number any more
A list of international 800 numbers for your bank and credit cards
A list of the US Embassies/Consulates (with addresses and phone numbers) in the countries you'll be visiting
A cheap second wallet or one of those hidden travel pouches. Split your credit cards, cash, and other IDs between two wallets – one that you carry and one left back at the hotel.
A copy of your travel itinerary

Last edited by RAC; 03/01/17.

IC B3

G
GAZ32 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by RAC
This is a copy of my checklist for my wife and I on our last trip to Botswana. I edited it for personal items but it gives you and idea what to take.

snip

Whoa... That's a lot of stuff. I've packed for a 15+day field op with much less haha. Good, comprehensive list though.

I'll be hunting with Theron African Safaris in Limpopo.

I decided to make a last minute decision and bring my bow. Mathews Z7 xtreme shooting a 460gr FMJ with a magnus buzzcut BH. Should be good enough for plains game. I always feel the hunt is much more rewarding with a bow.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Wear your hunting boots on the plane and pack a pair of hunting clothes in your carry-on in additions to your camera's and bino's. If the airlines loose your luggage then you can still hunt. Ask me how I know this :>)

Take lots of pics and enjoy. Bring twice the money you "think" you need and half the clothes.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.