Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JayJunem
JMR40,
Nobody mentioned effectiveness on game. Idahoguy asked about felt recoil between a .270/150gr and a .30-06/150gr.
Both you and Brad are totally missing the point in Idahoguy's question.

Didn't miss it at all, I said "NO" I don't find any difference... can't you read?

I went on to explain that I think it's a pointless comparison given that a 270 150 is a superior projectile.

Good grief...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Idahoguy asked what time it was. You told him how to build a clock.
Good grief is right.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's called conversation, something you apparently don't engage in...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Oh, that's what conversation is? Thanks for the clarification. I feel so foolish. This whole time I've been going around with the assumption that giving simple answers to simple questions was sufficient. My mistake. I apologize.

I'm so embarrassed I think I'll excuse myself from this "conversation." Please carry on without me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will carry on.

And BTW, I think the Gestapo is looking for a forum monitor... you may want to apply.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd also add, there's a definite "confirmation bias" of many magnum shooters that guides them to only seek out those sources that confirm their pre-existing biases, while ignoring all others in contradiction.

That argument can be used for the anti magnum crowd too. Refer to the last post by Mule Deer which reminds me of a comment my old boss once made. We worked on military funded research projects and he told me that any monkey can collect data, but the real challenge is interpretation. He has a PhD from MIT so I tended to listen a lot.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MCMXI
I'd also add, there's a definite "confirmation bias" of many magnum shooters that guides them to only seek out those sources that confirm their pre-existing biases, while ignoring all others in contradiction.

That argument can be used for the anti magnum crowd too. Refer to the last post by Mule Deer which reminds me of a comment my old boss once made. We worked on military funded research projects and he told me that any monkey can collect data, but the real challenge is interpretation. He has a PhD from MIT so I tended to listen a lot.

As for myself, I know confirmation bias isn't problematic. I was a magnum shooter and took elk with various ones as I previously explained. I still own a 300 Mag. If I had such a prejudice I would have been looking for reasons to stay with the magnums I started with.

Data and interpretation, great point! Alas and problematically, killing animals rarely fits into neat little qualification boxes.

However, you seem to have pretty strong ideas on killing elk so you must have a lot of experience on the subject. And since I don't know you it would be great to hear about your personal elk hunting with both magnums and non-magnums.

Also, does your MIT/PhD boss hunt elk? What does he think?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boys, boys, boys. As far as magnum rifles go, here is a simple little axiom for y'all.

"If bigger was better, Miss America would weigh 400 pounds"

You should learn it and listen to Brad, Mule Deer, et al.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by LFD
How many of you use a 270 for Elk what grain bullit are you using
I would use one of these,Nosler Partition 150 or 160 gr or a Swift 150 gr A-Frame.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 338Rem

Dayum, almost spit my coffee out all over the computer!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad

Just trying to break it down, make easy and understandable for the Phd's, MIT's and all the other initials.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use both. A .270 150 Grain for Deer and a .30-06 165 grain for Elk. Both from the same rifles, Tikka T-3 Lites. I cannot tell any difference in felt recoil. There may be measurable difference, but it must be very small. I do not have special recoil pads on the rifles, however I use a gel recoil pad in my shirt. Just my humble opinion.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MCMXI,

Gee, so my comment on Craig Boddington wasn't backed by enough "interpretation"?

I was a science major in college, and have gleaned as lot of statistical information from my big game hunting notes, which include not just the animals I've personally taken but those shot by all my hunting companions over 50+ years. I'd hunted quite a bit already before 2000, but between then and 2010 deliberately spent a lot of time going on various "cull hunts" to glean more information on how big game cartridges and bullets work in the field. These took place not only in North America but Africa, Europe and New Zealand, and provided a LOT of information. Occasionally I also find other good sources of data, such as the Swedish hunting survey that analyzed the taking of close to 8000 moose with various cartridges and bullets.

If you want to discuss statistical analysis of cartridge performance, then I've got some numbers. But in the meantime I think Brad has a very good point. How did you come to the conclusion that your choice is the ultimate elk rifle?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How did you come to the conclusion that your choice is the ultimate elk rifle?

Point to the post where I stated that my choice is the "ultimate elk rifle". I've only made the point that my advice to those that ask is to shoot the biggest bullet that you can shoot well. Perhaps I should have added something along the lines of "a bullet of appropriate construction shot from a rifle/scope combination you can handle in terms of weight".

Gee, so my comment on Craig Boddington wasn't backed by enough "interpretation"?

Everyone is free to take away whatever they want from your stories. For me it's a single data point from which nothing can be determined, but the reference to Boddington attempts to give it more significance than it deserves. That's the definition of disingenuous.

I'm just thrilled that I finally understand the complex theory that bullet holes and shot placement kill elk. Now I can enjoy my weekend.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Brad

If it could all be somehow jammed into the tits and ass cheeks Jorge would go for it! grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And you still haven't answered my questions...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, and he probably won't--or recognize that though the Boddington story is a "single data point," it does involve the entire point of this thread, where there have been plenty of other single data points cited, by other people who've shot elk with the .270 Winchester.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite Single Data Point with the 270/150 NP... handsome fella ain't I?!

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good Grief Man! Your face!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFD
How many of you use a 270 for Elk what grain bullit are you using

Have used 150gr Grand Slams, Partitions,& plain old Interlocks previously, last elk was with 130gr GMX.

I have no where near the experience of Mule Deer, Boddington, or Brad. But have successfully shot/guided elk with:
7-08
7mm Rem mag
30-06
300 Win Mag
338-06
338 Win Mag
35 Whelen
375 H&H

Only problem we ever encountered happened to be a guy carrying a 270 that was off by 18 inches. Re-zeroed, and a dead elk with the next shot.

Arcus Venator
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.