Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hey, I've shot two elk, so I'm an expert right? Ya, only two elk. Sheesh... 7mm Rem mag for one and a .30-06 for the other. Two hits, two elk.

Didn't use a .270 on either of them, 'cause I heard the .27's just bounce off elk... grin

Honestly, there is some great info on this thread. Thanks, and I'm seriously impressed with the experience level here.

Regards, Guy

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
My favorite Single Data Point with the 270/150 NP... handsome fella ain't I?!

[Linked Image]

That's it. I'm getting some spray tan...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 338Rem
"If bigger was better, Miss America would weigh 400 pounds"

Dayum, almost spit my coffee out all over the computer!

If it could all be somehow jammed into the tits and ass cheeks Jorge would go for it! grin

What about the cankles? whistle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Is your face tattooed on or are you like a cartoon character? Nice bull though...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

That's it. I'm getting some spray tan...

That's spray-on camo... if you're shooting a 270 you need every advantage you can get.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

[Linked Image]

Great bull, and AWSUM face camo!
Is that Mossy Oak's new Urban Face pattern? laugh

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Good eye! grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Boy, the elk cartridge argument just never dies. It has a life of its own. I remember similar debates in gun magazines back in the 70's and 80's. Prior to that hunters used mostly what they owned. Of course there weren't so many options back 40+ years ago.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Still waiting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For as many medium caliber rifle hunts I've had I could honestly say I would have been fine using a 30-06 or 270 on any of them. To me the 30-06 and the 270 are the epitome of ideal cartridges that would MAKE the ideal elk rifle a reality. Much of this has to do with the terrain I hunt in and the style of hunting I do but also the cartridges themselves are both very capable on Elk and larger size game. Not in an ordinal ranking but the 270 still has quite a wallop on game.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Time to split hairs about the 150NP from a 270 and a 150NP from a 280...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogger
Time to split hairs about the 150NP from a 270 and a 150NP from a 280...

They are both good.... Who needs to split hairs on that one?... Damn, I'm still creeped out about Brad's face. I always though he had no neck, come to find out, he has no face... eek

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Got one Bull using 140gr Accubonds behind superformance
powder. 1 Cow and one Bull using 150gr Nosler Partitions,
using Norma MRP. Going to use 140gr Accubonds next year,
with MRP or RL26.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Good eye! grin
I looked kinda like that one time when I took a shot at a bad angle and got clobbered by the scope.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
He Camo'd his face so the game warden wouldn't recognize him

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MCMXI
How did you come to the conclusion that your choice is the ultimate elk rifle?

Everyone is free to take away whatever they want from your stories. For me it's a single data point from which nothing can be determined, but the reference to Boddington attempts to give it more significance than it deserves. That's the definition of disingenuous.

I'm just thrilled that I finally understand the complex theory that bullet holes and shot placement kill elk. Now I can enjoy my weekend.

I might suggest you seem to be confusing data point with data source. When MD references his data set or the experiences of Boddington or Brad's experience they are data sources with multiple data points - not a single data point.

What you are hearing/reading, and the point of this particular post, is that there are data points and there are data sources. When JB speaks, especially of his 50 year record/data log, he references multiple data points acquired by a guy with a science background under multiple scenarios. He literally has numerous lifetimes of game animal records. To put it in terms you used related to your MIT professor - JB is the dean of the hunter nerd University of Big Game. I say that with all due respect - cause I are one as well. Brad, and a few others on here are your PhD elk hunters. I'll extrapolate from known data points - Brad will post a pic of a mature 6pt bull the first week of November 2017. Shot 3-5 miles from the nearest road with a non-magnum while reading a book and sipping a latte. The latte is made up, the book not so much 😎

I'll interpolate between my experiences, JBs notes, Brad's experiences and several others on the Fire with similar elk resumes and arrive at the thesis that a magnum is not required to kill an elk. I proved it to myself last year - twice.

My main point is not directed to those that have killed elk but to the guys like me 10-15 years ago thinking I needed a baby howitzer to dispatch an elk. In hindsight, I wish I would have resolved that piece of elk hunting sooner - and used a Kimber-esque rifle in a non-magnum cartridge. And frankly spent my time learning about lighter gear and backpacking. I would have a few more bulls under my belt had I done that.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You guys are a hoot!!!!!

Molon Labe
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Maybe the question should have been, "Who would not go elk hunting if you only had a .270"?

Answer, no-one.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Having an elk go 20 yards after being shot can be a problem up here making the difference between an all day recovery or less than an hour.

I knew Montana was big country, but I never knew it could take you all day to go 20 yards.

Must be like Texas??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Having an elk go 20 yards after being shot can be a problem up here making the difference between an all day recovery or less than an hour.

I knew Montana was big country, but I never knew it could take you all day to go 20 yards.

Must be like Texas??

I was gonna call BS on that myself. I've killed elk in black timber and have shot them at less than 20 yards several times. If you can't see 20 yards, you have more issues than cartridge/bullet. In fact I tracked one last year I shot at 30 feet with only snow patches about 100 yards.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,006 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,483
Posts18,451,903
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.