Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've been using the 225 NPT's for many years now. Haven't even come close to what I would call a failure in any elk I've shot with them (around 12 or so IIRC). The couple I've shot with Hornadies I can't be so positive about. Dead elk but long tracking jobs and light blood trails.

At least in my rifles, the Aframes shoot as well as the NPT's. Less meat damage also.

I've been wanting to try some different bullets but I'm so darned old school I can't bring myself to change from something that works so well.

Bob

Yes sir. I vaporized one of the Hornadys I put into water jugs at 25 yards started at 2900. Not knocking Hornadys at all but there were just pieces left behind. A 225 PT will burn thru 6 or more and be perfect.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I've been using the 225 NPT's for many years now. Haven't even come close to what I would call a failure in any elk I've shot with them (around 12 or so IIRC). The couple I've shot with Hornadies I can't be so positive about. Dead elk but long tracking jobs and light blood trails.

At least in my rifles, the Aframes shoot as well as the NPT's. Less meat damage also.

I've been wanting to try some different bullets but I'm so darned old school I can't bring myself to change from something that works so well.

Bob

Yes sir. I vaporized one of the Hornadys I put into water jugs at 25 yards started at 2900. Not knocking Hornadys at all but there were just pieces left behind. A 225 PT will burn thru 6 or more and be perfect.

That right there, along with every else's input here is making me want to shoot the rest of these interlocks up on paper and buy some Nosler 225's from SPS...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bob

That right there, along with every else's input here is making me want to shoot the rest of these interlocks up on paper and buy some Nosler 225's from SPS...

BSA, I still have the rest of the ones you sent me. I tried it twice. The 2nd one was OK, but not in a Nosler or similar state. I like Hornadys but those just worried me a bit. Could have just been a bad couple of bullets. I'd imagine out at distance they might have been fine. But I always worry about the close range encounters, provably needless as my closest elk has been about 55 yards but I spend too much in diesel to not have the good stuff in the Alaskan.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hear that Scotty. And with the prices you can buy partitions at SPS, it makes mucho sense to run the good stuff. I have no excuse, except the 400 225gr. hornady interlocks were such a good deal I couldn't pass them up. They have been fun plinking and poking paper with though... laugh. Hey, next time you are down this way or at your buddies house, you need to check out the new small gunshop in town. They have tons of powder, bullets, reloading supplies, ammo and some rifles... Not bad prices either...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I hear that Scotty. And with the prices you can buy partitions at SPS, it makes mucho sense to run the good stuff. I have no excuse, except the 400 225gr. hornady interlocks were such a good deal I couldn't pass them up. They have been fun plinking and poking paper with though... laugh. Hey, next time you are down this way or at your buddies house, you need to check out the new small gunshop in town. They have tons of powder, bullets, reloading supplies, ammo and some rifles... Not bad prices either...

Is it in the The Dalles?

Yeah, between SPS and RMR bullets I can't find much reason to not shoot the good stuff. I tend to like to keep my shelves stocked with Partitions and similar AB's. I have others I shoot, but being as bullets don't go bad, and don't get less expensive, it is nice to keep them around.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Is it in the The Dalles?

Yeah, between SPS and RMR bullets I can't find much reason to not shoot the good stuff. I tend to like to keep my shelves stocked with Partitions and similar AB's. I have others I shoot, but being as bullets don't go bad, and don't get less expensive, it is nice to keep them around.

Lyle...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Got it. I'll have the old man check it out once he gets back.

I did just grab a bunch of 175 PTs off of SPS for the new MSM. CANT BEAT 16 bucks a bag..

RMR has 140, 150 and 160 Partitions cheaper than that.. Decent deals to be had when you look around.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, I agree. Like the 200gr. partitions I bought a while back for $13.45/bag..... Took my mule deer buck and elk with those cheap sob's last season... laugh. They worked real well...

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
RMR? I'd love to buy some bullets cheap.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
RMR? I'd love to buy some bullets cheap.

Rocky Mountain Reloading.

It's my second favorite place to nab bullets.

http://rmrbullets.com/shop/?v=7516fd43adaa

Last edited by beretzs; 03/10/17.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep, I agree. Like the 200gr. partitions I bought a while back for $13.45/bag..... Took my mule deer buck and elk with those cheap sob's last season... laugh. They worked real well...

You aren't kidding. I cringe if I have to pay full price for them.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You aren't kidding. I cringe if I have to pay full price for them.

Yep, $45.00/box is way too rich for my blood as well....!!! sick

It's like the 9.3x62mm 286gr. partitions I bought at SPS. I burned those up like they were going out of style. Imagine if I were to have paid full box store prices for those babies... laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

SPS is an awesome place. They allow me to get out there and practice a lot more with my actual hunting loads/bullets... cool

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Keep your eyes on Rocky Mountain Reloading fella's, some good deals on bullets to be had on there.

That was a great shooting 9.3 BSA..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the heads up Scotty. You are right about the 9.3x62mm, it was damn accurate, but my 338wm is damn near just as accurate and about half as heavy... laugh

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 3040Krag, 48 invisible), 2,169 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.