Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I finally got a chance to go to the range. Been working too many Saturdays lately and too much snow. I couldn't make it all the way to the pit that I like to shoot at, so I found a good backstop and shot in the national forest. I got set up and then heard the sound of some vehicles behind me. Sure enough, 2 4x4 pickups were trying to find a place to turn around. They saw where I turned around and I talked to them for a bit and told them they might have better luck backing down the road, but they insisted they could get turned around where I did. Long story short, I had chains on and they didn't. I ended up pulling both of them out after they got buried and blocked the road. Back to shooting: Before they showed up, I had to dial in my 2 pre 64's since I decided to throw the Zeiss back on the 270 fwt and put the zeiss conquest I had on my 375H&H on my 338wm and changed the bases and rings to a more beefy set-up. BobinNH told me a while back that I should go to a stronger set-up on my "lightweight" 338. I finally listened to him and damn I'm glad I did. I shot my best group with that rifle today. I've had some days where I shoot a nice group like that one and say, ok it's time to go, I'm satisfied and today was a day I felt like this, but I had to wring out my 270 with this new powder they call Reloader 26!!!! Been hearing a chit load of good about this combo so I wanted to see what the commotion was all about. After everything was dialed in, I set up the chronograph and had at it. Here are the twins:

[Linked Image]

Here's where I was set up. Keep in mind this isn't my normal place, but I had the target stand set up at 102 yards and the chronograph was about 12 feet away:
[Linked Image]

Here's how the 270 shot with the new powder (RL26). The velocities are shown on the target paper:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's what the chrono said on one of the shots:
[Linked Image]

I was hoping to hit 2900 fps. and get good accuracy and it looks like it did it. Should make a hell of a good elk stomper. I'll do some more accuracy testing later on when the weather gets better and I can get to the range. This was just a preliminary test to see if I could get 2900fps in this fwt with 150gr. nosler partitions. It reached that with no sweat and no signs of pressure. I think I'm liking this powder guys... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As for my 338WM. Well, that was the show stopper like I said earlier. I'm still grinning about how well that rifle is shooting. First 3 went into the same hole, so I kept shooting...

[Linked Image]
I know I've shown pictures of this rifle and told you guys about it, but have never gone into great detail about how well it shoots. I'll have to say, the work that was done to this rifle is spot on. It's a keeper...
I don't know if that's a great velocity with the 225gr. hornady pill, but I'm sure it will suffice. Elk beware laugh ..

Now I need to clean these rifles. You guys have a great rest of your weekend...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good shooting BSA.

Maybe I should start shooting some of those pre-64 Model 70's. grin

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Don. Ha ha... They are fun. I ran out of time and didn't get to shoot my m1917 30-06. I really wanted to test the new pachmayr decelerator on that one...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shooting. I run H4831 in my Pre64 Model 70 338 WM(rebarreled 30-06). Can't remember who made the barrel, but it is cut at 22" and it puts out between 2650 and 2700 fps. My Classic Stainless 338WM with the 26" barrel with the same loads gets around 2950 fps.
Accuracy isn't quite as good as yours, but very close most days if I do my part.

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 03/04/17.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Bob. I've really considered H4831 in my rifle too. Especially since H4350 is a big PITA to find!!!! I'll likely switch to 4831 or at least give it a try If I can't locate any 4350 for the old girl. Went to a hole in the wall gunshop today in search for some, but no luck. Also checked bi-mart, coastal and even Walmart, but no luck... Every store I visited today had H4831 and like you say, you can get great velocities and accuracy with it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Good shooting. I run H4831 in my Pre64 Model 70 338 WM(rebarreled 30-06). Can't remember who made the barrel, but it is cut at 22" and it puts out between 2650 and 2700 fps. My Classic Stainless 338WM with the 26" barrel with the same loads gets around 2950 fps.
Accuracy isn't quite as good as yours, but very close most days if I do my part.

Bob

I'm glad you shoot your 338wm well. Sometimes it gets tiring listening to how you "can't shoot a magnum well" because of the recoil.......... I used to shoot a 300WSM in centerfire competition and it pizzed the guys off that were shooting 222's and .223 rem's. Made believers out of those guys though... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went to the gunshow in Albany today and there was powder everywhere, even some very hard to find powders (as long as it was Hodgdon or Reloader). However, I don't recall seeing any H4350 at all. Lots of H4831 and the H335 I was looking for my 223 loading and even at reasonable prices. I think I paid $25/lb for H335, which is a pretty good deal these days.
I guess I've been using H4831 for so long I just stick with it, even if it didn't get the very top velocities just because I can almost always get it, it is extremely stable and consistent, and I can use it in so many of my rifles.

Try it, you may like it. If you use a powder thrower you will really like the H4831SC.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Went to the gunshow in Albany today and there was powder everywhere, even some very hard to find powders (as long as it was Hodgdon or Reloader). However, I don't recall seeing any H4350 at all. Lots of H4831 and the H335 I was looking for my 223 loading and even at reasonable prices. I think I paid $25/lb for H335, which is a pretty good deal these days.
I guess I've been using H4831 for so long I just stick with it, even if it didn't get the very top velocities just because I can almost always get it, it is extremely stable and consistent, and I can use it in so many of my rifles.

Try it, you may like it. If you use a powder thrower you will really like the H4831SC.

Bob

I agree my friend. I really like the SC 4831. I've ran it in my 270 fwt with 130gr. partitions. It loves the stuff. Speaking of finding powder at gunshows. A few years ago a buddy and I went to the one in Pendleton and I found 8 pounds of H335 for $50.00. I snagged that stuff. My .223 rem loves it. I figured I'd try to burn it up and make a switch to tac or one of the newer powders, but it's lasting me a long time blush

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good looking twins you got there.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My .338 shot groups like that with 275gr. Speer RN, it had a Canjar trigger and was a dream to shoot. The most accurate of all the pre'64 M/70's I've owned.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BSA, that 270 looks awesome. I'd almost put a dollar on turning your seating stem in a 1/4 turn you'll end up with all three together (well, more together). I love 26 in my 270 WSM... I almost had Bob ready to try 26 in his but I think he probably had a bunch loaded up with 22 grin

Your 338 is wicked buddy. That's a shooting machine. Mines headed to get a Legend put on it right now. I can't wait to get it back after the fitting. With a safe full of good rifles I always seem to grab it when I wanna get stuff done. Oh, RL17 is pretty good in my 338 as well. Not a bad way to go if its available in your area.

Great day out there. Glad you were able to burn some powder.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Scotty. I know you love and appreciate the 338wm. I also agree with you on adjusting the oal with these pills in the 270. That was going to be my next trial. I do need to wait until it thaws out more, though, before I go out shooting there again. Damn snow was pretty harsh out there. I was even struggling a little with chains on. I'm thinking I can get to my clubs range in Washington, but they haven't posted any shoots for a few months. Your buddy in Lyle can probably tell you it was fugged here for a bit. The little town of Stevenson (west of where your friend lives) looked like a damn nightmare the last time I drove through there. Ice had powerlines and trees down and the snow was deep... That was last month, things are looking better now though.. Oh, by the way, your 338wm is going to be bad azzed with that new stock. I would love to get a legend one of these days, but would fu ck the whole thing up by having them put a left hand cheek piece on it. Ha ha... I'd never be able to sell the damn thing. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad either.. laugh

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hey, great shooting there buddy !
Mind sharing your build specs on that crazy accurate 338 ?

Cattledog

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd love to Cattledog. Here's a better pic of the rifle, while I was out elk hunting:

[Linked Image]

However, I took the talley lightweights off and changed the scope. Now it sports Leupold PRW bases and rings along with a Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44. Here are more specs:

1954 H&H receiver
Gretan stainless barrel
Brown precision poundR stock that I painted brown to try and match the Mcmillan stock on the 270 fwt. I also added the red pachmayr decelerator recoil pad to help soak up that kick.
4 round mag box capacity
Fwt bottom metal
All up weight at 8 pounds 2 oz's.
Glass bedded by yours truly
Trigger tuned to 2.5 pound pull wt by yours truly
Metal cerakoted midnight blue.
bolt jeweled by local smith who also did the cerakote:
Action blueprinted from what my smith says.
[Linked Image]

When I bought it, the rifle was put together, but needed to be finished. I added the finishing touches the rifle needed. This rifle balances and handles perfectly. The brown precision stock really helps to mitigate recoil as well. This rifle is a puzzy cat to shoot and is damn accurate, as you can see. The first time I fired a group off with this rifle, it was wearing the Zeiss terra pictured above and it did well:
[Linked Image]

Here's the second group fired with this rifle, after scope adjustment:
[Linked Image]

I will say this, it is shooting better with the upgraded bases/rings and conquest...

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thank you.
Very nice work, that is one fine rifle you have there BSA.
Can't imagine a better hunting rig that'll do anything you ask of her. In fact, both rifles well executed, loving your twins.

Is the Gretan 22" or 24" ?

Last edited by Cattledog; 03/05/17.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks. 24" on the barrel my friend.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hoooleeee cow. Looks like you've got a couple elk slappers there, bsa. grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry guys, I know most of you have seen these rifles. I was just happy as hell to get out and do some shooting with the ol girls. Haven't been able to get out to the range because of the snow. Still couldn't make it all the way out there and said fu ck it and found a good backstop in the national forest, threaded the needle through a few trees, but at least I could get set up at 100 yards and shoot. Last time I pulled the trigger, was on the bull I shot last October (first season bull). So as you might expect, my trigger finger was itching... laugh ... Being home bound, gave me time to work on the man cave/garage though. Did some painting and built a good work table for my new el-cheapo belt/disc sander..... You guys probably haven't seen those pics, so here goes:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Looks like a great set up you have there BSA !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 53 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.