Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm trying to convince one of my buddies he needs to do a backpack elk hunt this fall. He's hesitant because he's never backpacked. He is also concerned with the petite nature of the equipment - as he calls it. He's 6ft 5 and can be a bit of a thrash. I have an MSR 2 man BP tent and he's claustrophobic in it. Plus he thinks he's going to freeze to death.

What equipment are you bigger guys running on BP hunts in mid-late October? Specifically tents, bags, and pads.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some guys will tell themselves anything to not go backpacking wink

A very good friend took me on my first ever backpack hunting trip when I was 15 or 16, and he's a BIG dude. I want to say 6'2" or 6'3" and probably weighed 260 at the time.

Also... starsky and I have backpack hunted together a bunch and mostly used my Hilleberg Nallo 3 on those. He is 6'7" and it really hasn't been a problem unless he tries to stand up in the tent laugh . He can probably tell you more about the other gear he uses.

A good 0 or 15/20 degree bag, insulation from the ground (Z-pad under my inflatable) and a big enough tent and your buddy will be fine.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
He's not hugely keen on the idea yet but there's 3 of us and it's 2 against 1 at the moment. 😁

He's looking at 4 person, 4 season tents but he doesn't realize, yet, how much weight that will add to his pack.

Thanks for the comments.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get him to have EE make him a quilt large enough, use a large enough floorless shelter (prefereably with stove), and use a NeoAir XTherm Max Large or Exped Downmat Winterlite LW. Should be good to go with a lightweight setup that'll be big enough and keep him warm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm 6'-4" 215 lb... haven't really had "size" be a problem with backpacking. My 1-person tent is about maxed out as far as length... and my Marmot bag is about all the narrower it could be... but stuff still works fine.

That type of camping isn't for everyone. My elk buddy calls it "cold camping" as opposed to wall tents with wood stoves and so on. But man does it open up some country. Just put it to him this way. Normally he hunts X far into the woods. Now imagine that you pack in X far instead, and THAT is now your starting point for the hunt. It's like X + X = ELK! The algebra is hard to argue with <g>.

Just don't let him over-pack. Nothing will kill a budding backpacker's interest faster. If I were taking him in his first time I'd secretly steal away some of the shared gear and make MY pack heavier. I know it's not gonna ruin it for me, I'll just suffer a bit more, but the extra 10 lbs or whatever might make a tangible difference for a first-timer.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd also look at floorless, and would make him go backpacking this summer if at all possible. I wouldn't want my first time backpacking to have been in late October I know that. It's nice to get stuff figured when your tag isn't depending on it.Any decent quality long (6'6") insulation will do. I can squeeze onto a 72" long pad at 6'2" ish but I'd go longer for him.

Also, even a quality, correctly sized pack with a backpack camp + meat in it will punish the first timer. No way around it, but at least getting a sense of what a full pack feels like will help him. The thing about deer is you can suffer your way out with 100-120 lbs and be done. With elk you gotta wake up the next morning and do it all again smile

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3

WM Badger Long

Regular neolite pad

drysack with puffy for pillow

backpack for elevation of feet.

You are more comfortable and lighter than 90% of the dudes out there.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm 6'4" -205lbs and have found that carrying an ultralight two man tent is just about perfect for sleeping and storing gear inside when the weather hits.

I use a extra long neolite and a down mummy. The weight is not a problem, but the only thing I would change is the sleeping bag. I am on the lookout for an extra long bag but without the taper at the feet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
I'd also look at floorless, and would make him go backpacking this summer if at all possible.

+1 to both. Can't beat the weight/size ration of a good floorless tent.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kifaru long and wide bag for me. 20 degrees.

Got a more expensive thermarest for Christmas this year, but before that I was using whatever would hold air. Look for something that's longgggg with a good R value.

The Hillebergs are sweet, Black Diamond Vista 3 is a kickass tent, and for floor less I've had good luck with the Mountainsmith LT. I wouldn't go floorless in late October, though.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why not floorless in October? Good thing about snow in a floorless tent is, you can pitch the tent on uneven or rocky ground and just level out and pack the snow. With a good pad, it's not an issue.

I will say this about backpacking for big guys: it's easier if your big dimension is in the vertical plane, rather than the horizontal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys always come through - thank you for the ideas. I've turned him onto this thread and the equipment mentioned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Why not floorless in October? Good thing about snow in a floorless tent is, you can pitch the tent on uneven or rocky ground and just level out and pack the snow. With a good pad, it's not an issue.

I will say this about backpacking for big guys: it's easier if your big dimension is in the vertical plane, rather than the horizontal.

For me, floorless is almost a niche thing for times when weight is uber important or I'm just cruising around in the summer months. Though it did save my butt along with two other guys in Alaska when we were on a ridge that wasn't wide enough for a Hilleberg (lightweight thing again).

I just like having a floor in the snow I guess, personal preference thing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Try the gear beforehand at REI and rent what you need.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Big Agnes Classic Series bags in Long fit my girth and I am very round!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Big Agnes for everything.

Go Copper Spur 3 and their bags are more than adequate.

Then again, Option 1.) should be GFY and sit at home and be the kghunt that you are.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You don't even know any big guys.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I endorse the idea of a summer shakedown cruise to get him comfortable with the idea.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Big Agnes for everything.

Go Copper Spur 3 and their bags are more than adequate.

Then again, Option 1.) should be GFY and sit at home and be the kghunt that you are.

I've found that telling guys about Option 1 usually gets them off their kghunts.

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner

...I was 15 or 16, and he's a BIG dude. I want to say 6'2" or 6'3" and probably weighed 260 at the time.

Also... starsky and I have backpack hunted together a bunch...He is 6'7" and it really hasn't been a problem unless he tries to stand up in the tent laugh ....

Tanner

It's all starting to make sense.... all Tanner needs to know is how big a boy are ya

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsonora; 03/10/17.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,402
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.