Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Any thoughts on what is best?
I need the bifocal to see the line when tying knots, and other things.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know about "best" but for at least a decade I've worn no-line progressives all the time, everyday, for everything and once used to them I never think about the bifocal. Automatically look through the top at distance and the bottom for close work like reading or knot tying.

I have used both normal always-dark sunglasses and transition lenses which darken when outside, I actually prefer the transitions but they do not get as dark as my sunglasses however the work for most activities.

Larger, not-so-stylish lenses seem to be best for outdoor activities.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I've used Costa del Mar polarized bifocal sunglasses for years. Lots of options for frame size, frame color and lens color, you should be able to find something that works.

Costa Del Mar Bifocal Sunglasses

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what's best. A few years back there was a survey of optical stores and Costco was rated as having the best results with having the glasses accurate to the prescription.
After reading that, I go to Costco for my exams and glasses, including bi-focal sunglasses. I have been pleased with the service and glasses.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smith Optics Big selection of frame styles and lens options including a glass sandwich polarizing (my favorite for over 20 years).

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use Maui Jims

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ray- Ban Daddios w polarized no line bifocals.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Do check out zenni.com

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by walt501
I've used Costa del Mar polarized bifocal sunglasses for years. Lots of options for frame size, frame color and lens color, you should be able to find something that works.

Costa Del Mar Bifocal Sunglasses
Just an alert-those Costa del Mar's displayed on the first page of that link are SV reading only sunglasses-not bifocals. They will only work for your up close, or near vision needs as they are configured there. They will not work for distance and are not bifocals.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Do check out zenni.com
Zenni will be about the cheapest. The only concern is it can be tough to get the verticle placement of the bifocal correct when they don't have you there to take an accurate measurement.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to use OPTX 20-20 Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses with contacts and they worked well. They didn't have bifocal contacts with astigmatism correction at the time. They look like this, the little half moons below the sunglasses:

[Linked Image]

They're soft plastic and can be trimmed to fit. Bass Pro used to have them, Amazon has them, Walmart sells them but don't know if in the stores. Never liked the bifocal sunglasses available at the time.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I used to use OPTX 20-20 Hydrotac Stick-on Bifocal Lenses with contacts and they worked well. They didn't have bifocal contacts with astigmatism correction at the time. They look like this, the little half moons below the sunglasses:

[Linked Image]

They're soft plastic and can be trimmed to fit. Bass Pro used to have them, Amazon has them, Walmart sells them but don't know if in the stores. Never liked the bifocal sunglasses available at the time.
Those are really handy but can be hard to find. We used to sell them at Walmart but our stores quit carrying them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a Vision Center Manager for Wal-Mart and have been in the optical industry for over 30 years. Just as a head's up, through us, you can get a complete pair of polarized no line prescription bifocals with a frame starting at $209.00. Prices go up from there depending on frame, lense, and coating options.

Look around, and one might be able to find polarized bifocals with no distance RX quite a bit cheaper.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Costa del Mar, reader of whatever power you need on bottom,,,and plain lens on top...work great.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 1_deuce, 41 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,212
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.