Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Hey All,

I have the rifle described above that was built by Roger Ferrell ( an ACGG member) in Fayetteville, GA. And am considering selling it as it has been a safe queen for the past 10 years. Here are the specs:

- 24 inch, SS Shilen #3, 1 in 10" twist with a barrel band front swivel mount
- Sunny Hill one piece bottom metal
- Factory stock that was completely reworked (slimmed down and hand checkered) glass and pillar bedded.
- current set up is with talley stainless bases and blued rings with a stainless Zeiss 3x9-40 Conquest.
- shoots 210 NOS Partitions within MOA as long as I do my part 😊

I am the second owner and have yet to take it on a hunt. Had aspirations of another elk hunt that just hasn't materialized since purchasing this rifle. What would be a fair market value for it ????

Thank you,

John
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good question. Usually custom builds will bring in half of that they cost to build. But for the most part reshaping the stock and new checkering doesnt add to the value. I would guess if you removed the scope $1,500 - 1,700 would be fair.

But the best way to sell a rifle such as yours is to take plenty of nice photos and list it on gunbrokers for 10-14 days. Add a reserve if you like. You may get lucky and have some competing bidders.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for the input, I've noticed the market is softening, especially for LH Model 70's......

John
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by AlaRedleg
Thanks for the input, I've noticed the market is softening, especially for LH Model 70's......

Yes. The market is softening in general. And seems to be especially soft for LH rifles.

Snowwolfe has good advice regarding a bunch of good pictures and placing it on GB for 10-14 days. Personal preference, in lieu of a reserve, I would post it up on GB with the starting bid set to the absolute lowest price that you would take for the rifle. That way a willing bidder knows that someone will own the rifle at the end of the auction.

Finally, if you do go the GB route, drop a link here so we can check it out. Good luck with your sale...

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
More great advice!

Thank you,

John
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know if the market's softened on standard bolt face stainless LH M70s. They just don't show up very often. The last one I saw on Gunbroker went for over $2K in December. Unfortunately as Snowwolfe said, you generally don't get your money back for custom work, and in some cases reduce the value from OEM. I would agree with the others of how to get the most for it. Given the nature of auctions, the results might surprise everyone, high or low.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you have providance "proof " detailing what type of work done. Either a certificate, a bill in writing detailing the work done and cost, or special stamping on the rifle will greatly help establish price. Especially from an ACGG member who is validated to produce a superior product. It is money in the bank. If you don't have it, try to get it.
If no providance exists the only way you can get top dollar is if the experienced buyer gets to physically examine the rifle and recognizes the sweat equity that has gone into the work, he'll want it for what it is, price be damned.
Inexperience will get you run of the mill prices.
Good photos especially detailing the uniqueness of the work. Remove the scope and sell seperately.
Best of luck to you, try to post some photos.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Good Points, I called Roger Ferrell to get the information, but did not ask for a certificate. The barrel has his name stamped on it and he told me where to look to find the barrel make and twist as he also stamps that on his work.

John
M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Excellent, see if you can get a basic copy of the work order.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a nice rifle. What is the "all up" weight on this one and do you have any pics you can post?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Looks like the all up weight with scope and sling is right at 9 lbs. I will try to post pics this evening or you can pm me your email address.

John
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Great seller here if someone thinks about a purchase.
John is one of the good ones.

And his stuff is always top shelf.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thank you Frank! I'm having problems posting pics..........

John
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
guys,

I have been having trouble with this site and staying logged on for months. can't seem to so don't come here often. John, if you wish to email me outside I may have a proposition for you.

jsl3170hotmail.com

Jeff

The way life should be.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
How much does the rifle weigh?

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
All loaded up with scope and sling, a little over 9 lbs.

John
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
John that's a special rifle in a great caliber!

Price accordingly....

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Nice rifle. GLWYS !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

355 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,819 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.