Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
After a couple years and countless hours of work I am very excited to release the new Phantom action from Diablo Custom Rifles. This action is the best of both world, technology advanced head over heels of any other action on the market.

The Phantom has the stiffness of a solid steel action yet weighs less then a titanium action. How do we do this??? well, I use the combination of stainless steel and the worlds strongest most advanced lightweight materials. yes we will have a titanium model that will be even lighter. but for now I am liking the stainless. Stianless has a few quailities that you cant get with titanium. The main complaint of titanium is how it tends to fill " gritty" when you work the bolt. stainless will not do this, giving you a silky smooth bolt.

I have designed these actions to be a drop in fit to any Rem 700 stock and accept Rem 700 triggers and bottom metal. so no custom parts that are hard to find.

the very first prototype action was used for pressure testing, ill say this, it will handle over 3 times a standard load. I put 2 rounds of 160k psi with out a problem. obvisully it locked the action up and had to be torn apart to get it freed up. the last load I put through it was 210k psi, it didn't like that one much. 160k psi is more then enough. the 2nd proto was used for accuracy testing. I installed one of our diablo custom barrels(more on this later) in 7/08 rem. with shooting it almost on a daily baisis I am proud to say that it will hold sub half moa all day long, which is not easy to do a 4LB rifle.

Some other tests I did on the rifle is stiffness. the actions used in all testing is a rem 700 with no mods, a pierce titanium with all the lightweight upgrades and the Diablo Phantom.
basically on the stiffness test I clamped the front of the receiver in my barrel vise put a dial caliper on the rear bridge and hung 60lbs just behind the indicator
the rem 700 flexed .003 of in inch
the diablo phantom flexed .004 of an inch
and the pierce titanium flexed .008 of an inch
Pretty impressive for an ultra light.

now for the nitty gritty, the weight comparesions
for this I put everything need to make a complete ready to fire action. from the trigger to the mag box.
as you can see the rem 700 came in at 2lbs 1 oz
the pierce titanium with lightweight upgrade came in at 1lbs 10oz
and the diablo phantom came in the lightest by almost 4oz at 1lbs 6oz and that's with a steel recoil lug
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Huntinfool18; 03/08/17.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Any pics?

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
When I started this project I wanted to make the lightest most accurate rifle in the world. In order to make the most accurate part I would have to develop a stiff lightweight barrel. After many trial and error barrels I think I have done just that. In reality I don't think it can be beat with today's technology.
It's no secret that carbon fiber barrels are stiff and light weight, knowing this, I took that idea and improved upon it making it even more stiffer with one very simple process.
Another so called complaint about carbon barrels is that the carbon actually acts as an insulator instead of pulling heat away from the barrel so to cure this I have infused aluminum into the carbon to aid in heat dispersition while not adding weight. My test barrel that I have been shooting in 7/08 is 22" and weighs in at a mere 2lbs which is a full pound lighter then other carbon barrels in similar sizes that are on the market.
Aluminum infused carbon and muzzle break. This is not the final finish of the barrel just a glimpse at the make up of it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So looking back. We have a 1lb 6oz action ready to role. A 2lb barrel with a muzzle break. Throw on a 16 oz stock and you have a 4 1/4 lb hunting rifle. You could throw on a 20 oz scope and still have a 5.5lb rifle ready for anything

" THE DIABLO PHANTOM, JUST A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION "

Last edited by Huntinfool18; 03/08/17.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well I am intrigued! Can't wait to find out more, assuming a left hand option is available

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
How much?

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I will be selling just the complete rifle for now. This will included the phantom ultra light action
22" Phantom ultra light barrel with muzzle break and thread cap
A light weight stock ( McMillan edge, manners eh, mpi, Pendleton, high tec)
Timmney trigger
Adl bottom metal

Price will start at $3750
6 month lead time.

I will take pre orders for just actions at $1200 each
Delivery within 8 months or less

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Very nice.......light with incredible strength!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Some better pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do you have any finished rifles to show weight and targets?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Unfinished aluminum infused barrel...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I will get some more detailed pics or you guys in the morning

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I went to your website but there was nothing about the action you are promoting and only a mention of your barrel.

What gives?

Are you really offering these or are your posts "trial balloons"?

Last edited by RinB; 03/09/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tough crowd

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
You are correct, it's not on the website yet. One man can only do so much.
If it has to be on my website to make it legit, I will get it updated asap. This action is far from a trial, I wouldn't invest as much time and effort as I have in something classified as a trial.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You don't owe him an explanation not sure why he came across as such a tool meds? Sounds like a cool new rifle you're working on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great deal, especially for a guy that does the DIY backpacking.
Can't wait to see more results.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I hope you make a success.It's completely understandable to be excited about your work. It's a tough crowd here and I expect them to get as excited as you when some rifles under 5 lbs are out for test and evaluation.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How much are those actions going to cost?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Huntinfool18

I will take pre orders for just actions at $1200 each
Delivery within 8 months or less

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Good luck in your venture. Competition will be stiff in the 700 clone business. Three or four that have been available for several years are top notch companies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,326 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.