Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It all fits. How many of the movie cowboys ate bacon and beans on the trail?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad spoke of the Tom Mix movies often and his horses Tony and Tony, Jr. Dad said Tony had two hind leg socks and Tony, Jr. had four white socks. Never paid much attention to this until after Dad passed away.

Seen some of the old Mix movies and, yep, he was right.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
After seeing Trigger and Bullet stuffed and mounted, Dale had a little discussion with Roy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll add chickens to the zoo.

That flock of red chickens that ran across the farm yards when Matt, and Festis rode onto the place.
Likely the same chickens every time, and some stage hands had to be quick about catching them before the birds ran out on Hollywood Boulevard.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
After seeing Trigger and Bullet stuffed and mounted, Dale had a little discussion with Roy.

Wasn't Buttermilk stuffed too?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"
Just now watching Matt Dillion on that, I'd think?, buckskin.

Thoughts?

I can't remember the name of Matt Dillon's nag but several of us Gunsmoke writers used to jokingly refer to his horse as "Dr. Ross," and would use the name in a script. I.e., "Matt runs out from the Marshal's Office, jumps on Dr. Ross and rides away."

(For those who don't know, "Dr. Ross" was a canned dog food.) grin

As for "eight Lassies," that is true. Each Lassie knew several "tricks" so whatever "chore" Lassie was supposed to do on camera per the script, there was always one of the Lassies that could perform it.

Same with a popular Canadian dog show called The Littlest Hobo. "Hobo" was a German Shepard pooch who ran around in Canada, hooking up with people who needed some kind of help and Hobo would help them out. The trainer had six identical male German Shepards, all of whom he'd taught a bunch of tricks. I wrote for that show when I was sent to Toronto by Columbia Pictures.

It was interesting to be on the set and watch the trainer handle the dogs for the camera work. Lots of hand signals and sometimes screaming by the trainer.

One thing about writing for a "dog show." The dialog for the "star" was easy. wink

L.W.

Thanks for sharing that...

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"
Just now watching Matt Dillion on that, I'd think?, buckskin.

Thoughts?

I can't remember the name of Matt Dillon's nag but several of us Gunsmoke writers used to jokingly refer to his horse as "Dr. Ross," and would use the name in a script. I.e., "Matt runs out from the Marshal's Office, jumps on Dr. Ross and rides away."

(For those who don't know, "Dr. Ross" was a canned dog food.) grin

As for "eight Lassies," that is true. Each Lassie knew several "tricks" so whatever "chore" Lassie was supposed to do on camera per the script, there was always one of the Lassies that could perform it.

Same with a popular Canadian dog show called The Littlest Hobo. "Hobo" was a German Shepard pooch who ran around in Canada, hooking up with people who needed some kind of help and Hobo would help them out. The trainer had six identical male German Shepards, all of whom he'd taught a bunch of tricks. I wrote for that show when I was sent to Toronto by Columbia Pictures.

It was interesting to be on the set and watch the trainer handle the dogs for the camera work. Lots of hand signals and sometimes screaming by the trainer.

One thing about writing for a "dog show." The dialog for the "star" was easy. wink

L.W.

You wrote for Gunsmoke? Thats great did you have anything to do with the episode "The Hat" ... It has to be my all time favorite ..

Thanks!

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cowboyvon
You wrote for Gunsmoke? Thats great did you have anything to do with the episode "The Hat" ... It has to be my all time favorite ..

Thanks!

CowboyVon, I wrote several Gunsmoke scripts but I didn't write The Hat. That was written by a friend of mine, the late Ron Bishop, who wrote a whole bunch of Gunsmoke scripts, plus others for other shows. Ron was a very good writer.

He owned a small "ranch" north of Cody, Wyoming, and invited me up to hunt elk there a couple of times. To my great regret, I was too busy to make it when he was there for elk season.

Had some good times over some drinks in Los Angeles, though. wink

As an aside, Ron served in Burma during WW II. He told some interesting stories about that, too.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Cowboyvon

Thanks!

CowboyVon, I wrote several Gunsmoke scripts but I didn't write The Hat. That was written by a friend of mine, the late Ron Bishop, who wrote a whole bunch of Gunsmoke scripts, plus others for other shows. Ron was a very good writer.

He owned a small "ranch" north of Cody, Wyoming, and invited me up to hunt elk there a couple of times. To my great regret, I was too busy to make it when he was there for elk season.

Had some good times over some drinks in Los Angeles, though. wink

As an aside, Ron served in Burma during WW II. He told some interesting stories about that, too.

L.W.

Thanks .. I watched Gunsmoke every night when I was a kid and still watch as often as I can.. Prior to selling my old place we kept a computer on with Gunsmoke playing on a loop through youtube 24-7 lol you might say I'm a fan ...

Thanks for your part !!!!!

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CowboyVon, glad you enjoyed the show. I and other writers had fun writing for it. Every year at Christmas CBS and the Gunsmoke production company would throw a huge Christmas party and dinner on the very large sound stage where the permanent set of Dodge City was erected. That was at CBS Studios, Studio City.

The writers, directors, actors, production staff, our spouses, and other guests from the industry were invited. Interesting to be bellied up to the Longbranch Saloon bar drinking real booze. grin

Best regards.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Leanwolf, I attended my first writer's conference in 1978. By far, the best instructor there was a woman, probably then in her late 50s or early 60s, who had written for Gunsmoke for years. She was easily the best instructor at the conference. I returned to the same conference in Portland the next year as an instructor but she wasn't there. Packed in my files is a brochure from the first conference with her name and photo. I'd know the name if I heard it, but I can't think of it. Anyway, a wonderful lady. My mother passionately believed Marshall Dillon's buckskin was the best horse on television, and while I would devalue the horse for not having the confirmation appropriate to the era, how can one vote against one's late mother. The buckskin it is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mtrancher, I don't recall meeting a woman Gunsmoke writer. I know a few women wrote for the show, but I never met one. If you recall the name, let me know.

Hope all is well there with you.

L.W.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am glad to read that it is acknowledged that many shows used multiple horses portrayed as one. Little Joe's paint was supplied for the show and was often a different one season to season.

My wife Gail bought one of the buckskins that Matt Dillon rode.

This particular horse was injured in a trip wire accident. She was up for auction with a cast on her hind leg. A friend tipped my Gail off that it would be a great horse to own and even if she didn't recover completely would make a great mare for breeding.

Chap did recover and was ridden by Gail for many years. She took Chap all over Calif and into Az where the horse died at age 38. The horse was ridden into Canyon de Chelly, the Grand Canyon and all over the Hopi reservation before moving to Tucson Az.

The horse was 17 hands high and had to have her pasterns trimmed as she had some draft in her to make her so large. My wife took her to the Hopi reservation in the mid 70s where she taught for several years. The tribal leader Vernon bred Chap to his best stallion. The result was a huge stunning grulla that became the breeding stud for many horses on the Res.

This particular buckskin had one rear white stocking. You can see her if you scoll down about 1/3 of page. On left hand side with left rear white foot. Caption says Matt with Buck. here:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/507499451730202943/

Last edited by Azshooter; 03/10/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang when I opened the link I supplied the horse picture moved to the right side!

My wife was so attached to Chap when she died she took several days off from work, death in the family. To this day she cannot bring herself to look at any Gunsmoke episodes or pictures like the one I found. Truly was a one of a kind horse.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
I've seen white feet that are hard and strong. I've seen black feet that are weak, soft and shelly.

Research has been done on this (IIRC, by Doug Butler) and pigment, or the lack of it, is not the cause.

A white hoof tends to have thinner hoof walls. King Ranch use to remove them from their breeding stock.

To OP, most of that older stock was big headed and raw boned, not my first choice. To me, STOLI is about a perfect horse.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Speaking of the old west, Harry Vold died yesterday at 93 years old.

Well know for his livestock supply to rodeos,including the National Finals. He was born when the west wasn't as old yet. RIP Harry

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
He was born when the west wasn't as old yet.
The 'old' west was any time before color movies. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think Matt Dillon's horse was named "Buck".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Originally Posted by ironbender
I've seen white feet that are hard and strong. I've seen black feet that are weak, soft and shelly.

Research has been done on this (IIRC, by Doug Butler) and pigment, or the lack of it, is not the cause.

A white hoof tends to have thinner hoof walls.

Generalizations like that have no basis. Have you read Butler?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi IB, I've not read Butler, but I have picked up a lot of hooves. Is Butler a shoer? No one has lamed as many horses as shoers.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,891 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.