Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I wanted a bubble-level top ring, similar to what Nightforce offers for their rings, for my rifles with Talleys. This is what the Nightforce unit looks like if you aren't familiar. This is on my heavy LR rifle, which has the Nightforce Direct Mount.

[Linked Image]

My first-gen prototype was a copy of the NF, but sized to fit Talley hole spacing etc.

[Linked Image]

I thought of a couple improvements so I made a 2nd-gen prototype today. These protect the bubble-vial from destruction via an impact from the backside of the ring. Then I added a "window" slot to (hopefully) insure that if a rifleman had the sun in his eyes he could still read the level.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So I'm wondering... first, I'm pretty psyched about these for my own use, but I'm curious if others see a niche for these... second, would anyone here be interested in helping me field-test these? That would amount to replacing the top ring on your Talleys with one of these, using the crap out of it, and letting me know of any issues or problems or ideas for improvements come up....?

I doubt I'd be anodizing the testers so it'd be raw aluminum like in the pics. I can think of a few guys I've seen using Talleys on sporter LR rigs.... I think.... maybe Tanner? Smokepole? Starsky? I think Jordan switched out to something else.

Anyway... just a wild hair but I thought I'd put it out there. Now I gotta get back to paying work before I go broke making fun stuff for myself. Occupational hazard...

If you are interested in trying one please PM me. I'm thinking I'll do a short run of like 10 testers. It would be free of course.

EDIT TO ADD: this batch is 30mm.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 03/09/17.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks cool. Quick question.....wouldn't the bubble be best served behind the turret so you can see it better?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No because he's building a rear one with a pariscope on it queer bait!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Looks cool. Quick question.....wouldn't the bubble be best served behind the turret so you can see it better?

Yeah... I think that's how most guys do it. On that rifle, I can't see the elevation turret markings from prone with the bubble-ring on the rear ring; I decided that was pretty important <g>.

That's largely to do with my own deviant scope mounting ways.... I've got the scope (5.5-22 NXS) all the way back towards me in the rings, which puts the elevation turrent close to the rear ring. Maybe you can see what I mean here:

[Linked Image]

At any rate, I can see it with my off-eye even mounted up there. It's only there to insure that the vertical crosshair is plumb when the sear breaks on the shot so I use it to roughly achieve that when I'm building my position, then I might check once more before the shot, but point being, it's not something I personally see a need to constantly monitor.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was hoping one of you Navy guys would chime in....Thanks....I was never in a submarine....or the barrel....lol

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty interesting, I was planning on a kimber open country with nightforce rail and nightforce lighweight rings, but I have lots of Talleys I could use on it. Now just gotta weight for the guys and gals at Kimber to start shipping them!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Pretty interesting, I was planning on a kimber open country with nightforce rail and nightforce lighweight rings, but I have lots of Talleys I could use on it. Now just gotta weight for the guys and gals at Kimber to start shipping them!

I'm continuing to use Talleys because they've worked so dang well for me, and I've never seen one break. Guys say they've broken them. I've seen pics. Still, I love the simplicity and minimal mating surfaces not to mention weight and cost .... so I'll just keep an eye on mine. I'm sure that Nightforce setup is stouter!

Open Country... jealous....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Why anybody would assist a pro-Obama, anti-Trump piece of schit like yourself is beyond me.

You're a no talent dumb fugk.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Flave wants to test one...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Did a little minor melt job on them (with a file) while watching Netflix... I'm liking this design, but I already have an Evil Plan for the Gen3 versions...... bwa ha ha....

I included an aluminum beverage container for scale.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Remember the monolith in the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey? Yeah. That's right.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
http://www.hawkinsprecision.com/ultra-light-tactical-scoperings/long-range-hybrids

Kinda like these. Saw them yesterday while loooking at custom actions.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I was just wondering why talley didn't make one like this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks good!

Your countertop is out of level grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

That could be a dangerous assumption Jordan Smith. Maybe, his countertop is perfectly square, plumb and level. Dooh! shocked

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/10/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

That could be a dangerous assumption Jordan Smith. Maybe, his countertop is perfectly square, plumb and level. Dooh! shocked

The "countertop" looks kind of fuzzy... wink

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Let the testing begin! About to head up shootin'.

Dunno about that fluorescent green vial... hmmm.... shades of blue tape! grin

All this is dwarfed by the sheer awesomeness of my new idea for the Gen3 prototypes <g>. Knowing me I'll play hooky from regular work and make a pair (these are made in pairs) next week sometime.

It's sunny out (!!) so I'm not gonna get to all the PM's till later. For now I'm gonna go make some steel plates pay for their insouciance.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The top level has been around a long time (Mounting Solutions for $30)and the problem you just can't get around is there is no way to see it without breaking cheek weld to see it. Scoplevel brand has a tall mount that overcomes the issue with a 3" tall mount but it is kind of fragile. With a low profile top mounted level you get it level and lose zero. Adjust zero and lose level till you go crazy trying to get both aligned just right.

The Holland Signature Series level is the highest quality one that actually works. With a little practice I can see it and the reticle at the same time. There are other side levels like Vortex for a lot less money but they are clunky and crude.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1
Holland level is what I run also! They are well built and very slim compared to many others. I lap them slightly to keep from getting any ring marks.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
But do they fit Talleys?

Anyway, one thing I think is that these are clunky-looking. Rifles with Talleys, have Talleys for a reason. Clunky ain't it. I haven't ever made a part that goes on a rifle (rifles are awesome) so I overplayed the beefy aspect. I'm gonna slender it down for Gen3, plus execute my Evil Plan idea. smile

And....... maybe the idea itself is just stoopid. But that's never stopped me before.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.