Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some folks are MUCH more in tune to their rifles or sensitive to balance than I am but I can't tell which rifle balances better or worse with the lightweights I have. One has a 8 oz scope on it and he other a 17 oz scope. I'd be danged I could tell you which balances better.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aheider
Luke,

Which scope are you using?

I use a lot of scopes so not sure which one you are referring to? "Heavy" or lightweight scopes on my lighter weight guns.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The 17 ounce scope.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Some folks are MUCH more in tune to their rifles or sensitive to balance than I am but I can't tell which rifle balances better or worse with the lightweights I have. One has a 8 oz scope on it and he other a 17 oz scope. I will be danger if I could tell you which balances better.

Shhhh....

Keep the entertainment flowing and letting guys speculate. It's funny...

Of course the Kentucky windage guys it doesn't matter, as they just need a zero holder...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aheider
The 17 ounce scope.

VX-6 2-12x42

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Man those heavy scopes really mess up the "balance" with lightweight rifles....

[Linked Image]

Lot's of things people "know", just isn't so once out to the test....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS, I think it weights 1 oz. more than the 3.5-10x40!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I recently replaced a rifle scope on my Tikka T3 that weighed 14.8 oz, with one that weighs 21 oz. The new scope has much better optics, more reliable tracking and better turrets. Honestly, I do not feel any difference in the rifle's balance; it just feels a bit heavier. I am willing to sacrifice a lighter weight rifle for a durable scope with a 30mm tube, better optics, and more reliable tracking.

The scope change (from a 3-9x42 to a 10x42 fixed power) was made for a NM antelope hunt coming up later this year. The new combination is only a 4 oz or so heavier than the rifle I used for hunting elk in CO just two years ago. Too old now for climbing mountains chasing elk.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every year I build a lightweight rifle.
And every year, most of the animals I shoot, I am within 50' of the truck.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by m_gallopavo
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I don't get why a 11-13oz scope is ideal and a 19oz scope is "so heavy" but if it has to be light it would be a 6x42 with LRD.

If you tell me that you're a back pack hunter and count every single ounce I stand corrected. Most that fret over a extra 7oz on their scope is just playing mind games.

I disagree. 6-7 extra ounces sitting right over the top of the action makes a big difference in the balance of a featherweight rifle.
I would think a 3.5-10x40 VX-3 with CDS would meet the OP's needs pretty well.

Ive never noticed any problem in how well I can shoot a rifle be the scope heavy or lite.

I do however often hike over 10 miles on various hunts and sometimes steep ground is involved. I can say on a long hike I notice a half pound a lot more than one would think. It might only be a half pound but its a half pound carried over one shoulder off center.

The liteweight mountain rifle in my experience is a concept that a lot of hunters who hike mountainous terrain appreciate. A lite scope is part of the package whether one is hiking 1 mile straight uphill or 10+ miles.

Trystan

I have a couple of light rifles that I swap back and forth between a 6x42 Leupold LRD and a 6x42 SS when I'm wanting to dial. I don't notice the balance being effected. I do notice the 1/2 lb difference when I'm carrying it. When shooting offhand I can't tell a difference in how easy the rifles are to shoot between the 2 scopes, balance seems about the same. When shooting from a bench or prone the extra 1/2 lb makes them easier to shoot.

When going up the mountain, I don't want the extra 1/2 lb. When sitting at the bench or on a short/flat walk I don't mind it. Trade offs on everything. If I'm set on light, I want the 6x42 LRD.

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Went through the same process a couple months back. Went with a Z3 3-10x42 on my Finnlight 6.5 Swede. Put a 2-12 Vx6 on it later to try and couldn't tell a difference in the time it took to swap them. I had the same issue comparing the 2 scopes. Unless i had them side by side, I couldn't see a difference in glass. Literally had to peep through each within a second of each other to notice a difference.

Like my Finnlight, I wouldnt say your Weatherby is a true ultralight and thus the weight of the scope within reason wont likely matter. I dint notice any "balance" issues. Perhaps maybe with my NF 5-22 but not any hunting scopes ive tried.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Do you know this because you've done it and formed that opinion? If the answer is yes then I respectfully say we have a difference in opinion.

Well hell I wouldn't just make it up to have something to argue about. wink

No really I've had a few ultralights with scopes that were a bit much and to me it screws everything up. I put a 3-9x42 meopro on a Forbes 20B and it made me really dislike the way it felt and handled.
Currently I have a pair of Montanas......the .308 wears a VX-6 2-12x42 and the 7-08 wears a 2.5-8 VX-3. The 308 isn't nearly as nimble or handy to me as the 7-08. As a matter of fact, when you handle them both side by side the .308 starts to feel (to me) like a boat paddle. It even lays a lot better in bags (to me) than the .308. I've yet to figure that out but I can control it much easier and actually shoot better with it.
As far as the scopes go I prefer the VX-6 100 times Over the VX-3 but I tend to leave it at home as I much prefer carrying the rifle with a bit more suitable scope for its weight.
As mentioned earlier, I think I am one of those guys that is really sensitive about particulars in firearms so I tend to notice little things a lot more.

On a weatherby though I'm not sure I would notice much difference whatsoever. Once you start dropping below 6 lbs on a rifle every couple ounces starts changing the feel and it seems to increase exponentially the farther you go.

Last edited by m_gallopavo; 03/11/17.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I went through a similar dilemma last week when scoping a Kimber Adirondack. I had four scopes I was pondering. As shown below : VX-IIc 4-12x40, VX-3i 3.5-10x40,Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 and Vari-X III 1.75-6x32 "shorty". The shorty made the cut but I am not sure if it will stay on there or not. I really like balance and compact feel though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One too many hobbies....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Good lookin rig cove

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks.

One too many hobbies....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Good lookin rig cove

Agreed, wish the Finnlight was more forgiving of short scope tubes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by warpig602
Good lookin rig cove

Agreed, wish the Finnlight was more forgiving of short scope tubes.

This short tube barely fit on this Kimber as well. I could only position the Talleys in the arrangement show to clear the bell. It's in lows now. I had it in extra lows, but had to file and bevel the edges of "bases" but just couldn't get enough clearance to feel comfortable with it.

One too many hobbies....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
What caliber is it?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
6.5 Creedmoor. I had a Kimber Hunter in the same caliber and liked it a lot, so when Whittaker's was clearancing out the Adirondacks I couldn't resist.

One too many hobbies....
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you gents, plenty of good ideas.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.