Print Thread
Hop To
L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Anyone hunted elk on Philmont Scout Ranch near Cimarron, NM?

BP-B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hunted adjacent to it on the old East Moreno ranch. I was a Scout and visited Philmont my senior year of HS and swore to myself I'd go back some day...and did.

To hunt Philmont you had to be connected in some way with Scouting...I have no idea if this is still a requirement. My elk hunting partner got to hunt it a few years ago (he was connected) and got a nice 320 bull.

The East Moreno ranch owned the western half of Baldy mountain to the peak and I hunted that area extensively. Good territory! Lots of elk. Nice views up there and brought back good memories of my climb up Baldy in 1975. EMR has now been sold to the Sandia Pueblo tribe.

I'd go if you had the chance.

Last edited by Godogs57; 03/08/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
You have to be registered in Scouting, that's the only "connected" requirement. I've entered their drawing, but have no idea how many apply. I was told there is usually a waiting list.

I've had a long association with Philmont, having worked there during the summer in the mid- to late-'sixties and belong to the Staff Association. However, I don't know of anyone who has ever hunted there. It's in the heart of some great elk country.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wife and I do a fair bit of camping at McCrystal Creek, on the northern edge of it. Lots and lots of elk encountered in our hikes. The game unit is very limited draw and once in a lifetime if you do draw.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Razz
Wife and I do a fair bit of camping at McCrystal Creek, on the northern edge of it. Lots and lots of elk encountered in our hikes. The game unit is very limited draw and once in a lifetime if you do draw.

Vale Vidal?

IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've hiked Philmont, but never hunted it. And YES - They have elk on that place.

BUT... It's all hiking in, and hiking out. No motorized vehicles, and pretty sure no pack animals too.

You might want to call them.

Philmont Scout Ranch
47 Caballo Rd, Cimarron, NM 87714
(575) 376-2281

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've already checked into all that; just wondered if anyone had hunted it.

I went on a Philmont trek last summer with the staff association. We spent two nights in the Valle Vidal. I had never been to the Valle previously. As I recall, it is not Philmont property, but federal land that borders Philmont.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Razz

Vale Vidal?

Yes, Vale Vidal. Lots and lots of sign while hiking both sides of the FS Road running thru.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
True.....great place. Like you said it's a once in a lifetime draw. One of my hunts on the adjacent ranch many years ago, we found two trespassers on our ranch that were drawn for the Valle. Crazy. Guy and his young son. Son had shot a cow with his once in a lifetime tag...dad was snooping around for a good bull. Imagine that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
47 Caballo is the address to the Trading Post at Philmont.
17 Deer run Rd is the address to the administration bldg.
I've never hunted it but I know the guys that guide there. I delivered there for 8 years, great group of people. John Clark retired a couple of years back or I'd have you call him. Dave Kenneke might be in charge of that department now.
Valle Vidal is beautiful country, elk for miles and miles.

IC B3

L
lotech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Gonzaga - John Clark is the one who told me about available hunts several years ago. Dave Kenneke is the new manager over the ranching department; that includes the hunting operation.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hunted the VV next to it and loved it. LOTs of nice elk and took a very good bull. I was in 300+ class bulls every hunt with the exception of one after noon, while trying after a specific bull. Beautiful country and would totally go back other than I drew a once in a lifetime tag. Ended up seeing a few lions as well, which was a great experience. Only a few deer but was told they were in other parts.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There are getting to be elk all over northern New Mexico.
I hunted Philmont as a kid - dad knew the managers.
I also hunted the Whittington Center country when Gene Stockton was still alive, and hadn't traded it off.
I've killed elk, deer, and antelope over much of NE NM - and can say that Philmont, Vermejo, Valle Vidal, Raton, Taos, Dulce, and Chama areas are unbeatable.
If you ever have the opportunity - take it!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
202 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.