Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The best training for PNW Coastal Elk hunting is to put a tread mill in the back of your truck, put on your rain gear, put it on the steepest incline and have some one drive you through a car wash for 2 hours straight while you jog..

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good one WRO. This is how I train

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...mp;src_vid=6g2JN2PrHJg&v=nXJxxahiC3A[/video]

LOL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great write up and story, congrats. The body on that bull looks quite large. The pacific NW is a place I want to get to some day, beautiful looking area

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congratulations! Roosie's don't get the attention they deserve (maybe that's a good thing for us in the PNW grin ), great to see a thread about a successful hunt. Rifle choice for them is like any other elk hunt, use what you're most comfortable and accurate with. My last Roosie hunt I carried a 9.3x62.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Great story, congratulations on a successful hunt.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt. Hunting on the west side is a whole other game than the east side of the state or so it would seem.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post, extremely well written and informative. I hadn't seen this thread until I noticed the one today saying you got your elk antlers back. Tickled for you!

Your pics are classic, especially the one of the wet rifle!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
To give you an idea of what some of that country's like, some years ago, 2 hunters went down in a canyon there somewhere and shot a bull. While dressing it out, one of them died of a heart attack. It took rescuers 3 days to pack his body out of there. I have no idea how 2 men planned to pack out an elk. Granted, the elk would probably have been in smaller pieces, but there were only 2 of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Fireball2
John John John! That was a fantastic write-up of classic Pacific NW rain forest hunting! You get it my friend! Great preparation, hunt, and followup. Outstanding.

I really appreciated your description of the conditions. People that hunt in desert country for elk can never understand the level of difficulty the weather combined with soaking wet reprod introduces into a hunt in the PNW. Add in steep terrain, warm temperatures (which make raingear HOT to hike in) and short seasons and you have one challenging hunt. it's hard on mind, body, and rifle isn't it?!

I salute you sir! Very well done.

Thanks for the kind words.

The Pacific Northwest is definitely a weird little part of the world with its own species and conditions, but you don’t hear much about it unless you live here. I grew up hunting whitetails and I thought I could hunt blacktails the same way when I got here. It took me about five years of getting skunked to realize how wrong I was.

99% of the information available on elk and deer hunting is about Rocky Mountain elk and whitetail deer because that’s what most people hunt. Same if you go to big-box stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro—they have tons of gear for those species, but you just get blank stares when you ask about Roosevelt elk and blacktails.

The PNW is a little tougher than most places, but it’s great if you don’t like being up to your ass in snow during hunting season.

Okie John

Excellent job on the write-up and congrats on your beautiful bull. By the way, it was wet and miserable in the PNW here too last season's elk hunt, but we can get "snow up to our azz" during our elk hunts too. Maybe not in your neck of PNW, but in mine it happens... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great write up.

The 338 and 225 Partitions seem like they are tailor made for them big buggers!

Congrats on the bull. I have never taken a Roosevelt but it is on my list.

Semper Fi
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great write up.

The 338 and 225 Partitions seem like they are tailor made for them big buggers!

Congrats on the bull. I have never taken a Roosevelt but it is on my list.

Thanks. The guys I hunted with are great if you decide to make it happen. I've already reserved my spot with them for 2018.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Great story.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Great write up and pictures, as a NW hunter I have been there and done that. My first Rosey was near Coos Bay in 62, a 3 year old bull. I am hoping for another one in the next couple of years. I have lots of points in Washington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read in various publications, from “experienced” scribes how lever actions and ‘Brush busters” are perfect for this kind of hunting. They’ve obviously not looked out over Western Washington clear cuts. In truth, a 500 hundred yard shot isn’t out of the question. I completely agree with your comments about rifle choices. Stainless steel, composite stock, and a flat shooting rifle that can deliver energy at long range is much more appropriate than a Brush Buster! For this kind of Elk hunting, this is 300 magnum country.

Great story, thanks.

Last edited by JBabcock; 07/12/20.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My dad shot his first Rosey in 58 mine came in 61 and another one shortly after. After my service we migrated to the dry side of Oregon and I became familiar with the mountains of NE Oregon, where I have hunted ever sense. My heart is in the mountains, looking across vast expanses of real estate. The deep dark, wet side full of wind-throw, sal-al berries, alder, more alder I do not miss. Good luck for those of you hunting there,

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
728 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.