24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have a '12 RZR 800. This model sits a little low and I'd sure like to lift it a couple inches. However, every kit I've found requires replacing the rear axles with stronger ones. That makes the cost of the kit prohibitive. Does anyone know of a brand of kit that will work with the stock axles?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can you move the a-arm assembly to a different hole as on the rangers? I gained about 1' just turning one notch up on the shock on the ranger.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's already as high as it will go. I bought it used that way. It also has some kind of great plastic fiber skid plate that covers everything. It's bulletproof for rocks but it sure makes it easy to high center in snow..

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The only kit you should have with a Polairs Rzr is a Fire extinguisher kit.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
At least mine's not part of the recall. My son is a department head for a big insurance co. He made sure mine isn't on the list. They've paid some claims on them.
I do carry an extinguisher anyway. There should be one in every vehicle.

― George Orwell

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We were wheeling in near Roseau, MN and we saw a one with two GIANT extinguishers on the side. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a '12 RZR 800. This model sits a little low and I'd sure like to lift it a couple inches. However, every kit I've found requires replacing the rear axles with stronger ones. That makes the cost of the kit prohibitive. Does anyone know of a brand of kit that will work with the stock axles?

You are going to need the stronger axles regardless of what kit you use. Simple physics. You will be running the cv joints at a more extreme angle with lifted suspension, and obviously the stock joints aren't stout enough to survive that.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I won't be raising it this year it appears. Besides needing tires, after this winter, I'm going to put a snow plow on it. I've been using a plow on a garden tractor but it was useless with the snow we had this year. I might not use the plow much for a few years but it'll save a lot of wear on my tractor.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Done it. I ordered one of these kits: RZR LIFT KIT. I talked to them and they swear up and down that it won't affect the rear axles like most kits. The difference is in the way the top of the shock attaches on the top end. We'll see.

Im researching kits, I encountered something else. We're old fogy trail riders. No jumping, no wild riding. Rarely over 20mph on the trails we ride. All the kit makers say that for rock climbing and slow running, remove the front stabilizers. They're made for racing and jumping. For slower riding, the machine handles better without them. For slow rock climbing, removing them allows the axles to articulate better. When I install the lift kit, I'll disconnect them and find out. If I don't like it that way, the kit comes with longer ones that can be bolted on in under 30 min.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should be fine with a 2" lift, it's not enough to put extra stress on your axles but go any higher and I'd reconsider the axles. I've got a 2" lift on my Rhino and have had no issues with it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This is the only kit I looked at that didn't specify heavy duty axles. I also need new tires. I can go slightly taller without buying new rims so that plus a 2" lift will raise it 2.5 to 3". That's more than enough for what I need. We trail ride where there are lots of rocks and we drag on one occasionally. I have a very good skid plate but I'd rather get above them. 3" should take care of it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Followup: The kit took a couple hours to install. The hardest part was removing a bunch of plastic on the rear. The kit required drilling 4 holes in the frame and the plastic had to come off to do it. The frame was hard, thick steel. I wore out 2 3/8" titanium bits getting it done, in addition to several smaller bits drilling pilot holes. The metric bolts actually required a 25/64" hole but I was able to worry them big enough with the 3/8.
I've had it out twice so far. It's slightly tipsier, as expected. The higher they are, the easier they go over. It just takes some adjustment in driving. With the front sway bars off, it does better in rocks and ruts. It helps keep both front tires on the ground at the same time. If you're running fast in rough stuff, though, you'll want them back on. I never drive mine like that, though. I'm a creeper and crawler. The added height is a big help in rocks, which we have plenty of.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm a creeper

Yeah. We know.....grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Followup: The kit took a couple hours to install. The hardest part was removing a bunch of plastic on the rear. The kit required drilling 4 holes in the frame and the plastic had to come off to do it. The frame was hard, thick steel. I wore out 2 3/8" titanium bits getting it done, in addition to several smaller bits drilling pilot holes. The metric bolts actually required a 25/64" hole but I was able to worry them big enough with the 3/8.
I've had it out twice so far. It's slightly tipsier, as expected. The higher they are, the easier they go over. It just takes some adjustment in driving. With the front sway bars off, it does better in rocks and ruts. It helps keep both front tires on the ground at the same time. If you're running fast in rough stuff, though, you'll want them back on. I never drive mine like that, though. I'm a creeper and crawler. The added height is a big help in rocks, which we have plenty of.
For more torque, change the spring in your primary clutch it makes a huge difference when you need the torque. I do a lot of riding in swamps, muskeg, creeks and riverbeds plus I tow a lot with my Rhino and the stiffer spring really made a difference.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.