Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've decided I need a Kifaru pack. I tried one on over the weekend from a Fire member and really liked the way it fit. Definitely a Hunter Frame with 24" length but am trying to decide between bags and various options. The intended use is 1-3 day backpack trips in the elk woods in October and Smoky Mtns during spring/summer/fall. I used a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 last year and think it has plenty of volume for both times of the year and trip types.

I found last year I like pockets and organization over simple volume and a main compartment. I also like the panel load feature.

Here's what I'm chewing on:

Option 1:The 2 bag system

Hunter Frame
Timberline 2 Bag
22 Mag bag

I really liked the modularity of the Kuiu system - pack in with the big bag, switch bags, day hunt with smaller bag. When you kill, the smaller bag is large enough to allow pack out of first load/horns.

I'm trying to decide between the Timberline 2 or Mtn Warrior for the big bag either will have the Guide Lid.

Option 2: the 1 bag option

Hunter Frame
Woodsman w/ guide lid

The Woodsman is 3000 to 4000 cu inches, depending on how you run the snow collar and without the Guide Lid, 5200 with snow collar fully extended and a Guide Lid. I could also add a Spotting Scope side pocket for a bit of extra space.

I'm thinking the Woodsman option, with Guide lid, may have enough cu inches to haul 1-3 days worth of elk gear and is small enough to be used for a day pack.

A note: Some/many/most are going to say buy the Mtn Warrior/Timberline 2 and compress it down and only buy 1 bag. My issue is that I have a short torso and the main bag will stick up above my head - and snag on everything I'm trying to move under/around - hence why I prefer the 2 bag option.

Thoughts on any of the bags or options I've mentioned here?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bwinters; 03/13/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
They quit making the Mountain Rambler, a pack that would have worked really we'll for you, load sling and long side pockets, were I to choose now the Woodsman would be my pick I too like a smaller pack!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The Woodsman does not have independent compression straps which is a deal breaker for me. There is always gear fastened to the side of my pack with the compression straps. When the center buckle is unlatched, the gear on both sides is unsecured. Not only does this create a hassle, there will be a day when you dump something unintentionally. Just hope it doesn't result in your rifle scope bouncing off a rock.

I ran the Mountain Warrior in day mode this past year and was not happy with it in day mode. Just too much pack, but to each his own.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
although I know longer have one I think you'd be happy with the timberline 2, if that frame is a good fit for your build you can't go wrong with a kifaru.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info on the Woodsman.

I am leaning toward the 2 pack option and running a Timberline 2 and 22 mag.

Keep the thoughts coming!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
According to Kifaru, the Mtn Rambler is being redesigned and will come out later this year. I considered waiting on that but the Mtn Warrior came up used at a good price.

I don't think the Mtn Warrior will be above your head in day mode, depending on how you pack it. I'll try to load it up that way tonight and post a pic if you want. I've been wanting to see what the weight comes in at anyway. I'm putting a std lid on it and may add a medium pocket. If I need more volume, I can replace std lid with ILBE lid I think.

Also looking at having a guy make bellow side pockets like on the DT2/Reckoning/etc to attach with 3-bar sliders to the sides if I need more volume. Should weigh less than std zip pockets.

DT2 - I liked this but like a center zip more.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've never seen the need for a second pack, especially if you have enough pockets (both built in and add ons) on your main pack and a guide lid.

The first Kifaru pack I bought was the original internal frame 7200 Timberline. Despite being quite capacious, when cinched down the pockets and sleeves worked well as a day pack. Now hunting brown bear with rain gear for 2 weeks is a different animal than a summer stroll, but again cinched down with the appropriate accessible pockets both native/tacked on has served me well for both getting to camp and then going out to glass.

For my sheep hunt I went Nomad and camp bag. for me perfect. Holds rain gear, scope and tripod easily. If I need to add on just a hair more volume I add a guide bag. My other duplex set up is an EMR for the (Timberline) above reasons.

FYI I've got 2 extra frames (24 & 26") and 2 DT2s gathering dust, all in Foliage.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 03/13/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd keep it simple and go Hunter frame, Timberline 2 bag, Guide lid, and a couple small belt pouches to stick on the bag or belt for random small gear. Put a gunbearer on there for hunting and you're set to jet.

Tanner

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Tanner,

That is the exact same set up that I have it does everything! That said I still have too many packs!

Lefty

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
The first Kifaru pack I bought was the original internal frame 7200 Timberline. Despite being quite capacious, when cinched down the pockets and sleeves worked well as a day pack.

This is where I am as far as pack size. B, I can't help on your choice because I'm a "duffel bag on a frame" guy and I like the longhunter Guide. I also have a timberline II but I find myself using the longhunter more. Without the side pockets it's actually pretty svelte as a day pack cinched down tight and I'm never wanting for pack space, like with the first load of meat and extra gear stuffed in.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got the Mountain Warrior with a belt pocket, a nalgene bottle pocket, and a Kifaru Gunbearer. I can load more meat in it than I can carry anymore. Its a nice system as are your other choices.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'd keep it simple and go Hunter frame, Timberline 2 bag, Guide lid, and a couple small belt pouches to stick on the bag or belt for random small gear. Put a gunbearer on there for hunting and you're set to jet.

Tanner

OP... I'd be all ears here...

Had the same question a few years ago and got pretty much the same response from Tanner. I dig the Timberline 2 bag, and other than upgrading mine to a duplex frame I can't think of anything I'd change about it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can be led to water😎

Think Tanner's idea is a good option. If I want a day work can always order the 22 mag later.

Last edited by bwinters; 03/14/17.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mountain Warrior and DT2 are great packs. Either could easily be used as a daypack IMO.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Look at some of the MT Ramblers videos to see if it's something that you might like, then call Kifaru and see when the newly designed model might be available!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Tanner

I agree with this. I have the TD1 and a Mag 22. But I wouldn't pack the Mag 22 to swap it once I set up camp. That seems silly.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aheider

Tanner

I agree with this. I have the TD1 and a Mag 22. But I wouldn't pack the Mag 22 to swap it once I set up camp. That seems silly.

Nobody seems to like my 2 bag idea eek

I did it last year and liked it. I'm going to try the DT2 and see if I like it as a day pack. The 22 mag is only an extra $260 if I don't like the backpack as day pack idea.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bwinters

Nobody seems to like my 2 bag idea eek

I did it last year and liked it. I'm going to try the DT2 and see if I like it as a day pack. The 22 mag is only an extra $260 if I don't like the backpack as day pack idea.

I agree. Count me in the two bag camp.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bringing two bags on a backpack hunt is absolutely silly and a waste of space and weight, if that's what you meant. If you meant that you'd just like to have two bags to swap on your frame and to keep at home, then that makes sense. I personally have a 22 Mag, Timberline 2, and AMR. But I would never bring two on the same hunt.

Tanner

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I love my 26" frame and Mountain Warrior. I fit my day gear and entire bear inside last year. It will do everything you need and still compact for day pack mode.

Good Shooting!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.