Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A few days ago I posted that after a fairly extensive search I found one place that had Forster .308 GO gages in stock as individual pieces rather than sets, which, because I already have a NOGO gage, I didn't need. Found them at http://www.eabco.net for $27. Would have posted this there but the link to the thread is broken.

Today I purchased another major component for my .308 build - the BCG. This one was an Aero BCG, black nitride finish, which were also hard to find. Finally found one for $198 at monmouthreloading.com.

The last major components are the adjustable gas block and the barrel. Obviously the two have to work together so the barrel will come first. 18" to 20" medium to heavy contour is what I am looking at, possibly fluted.

Would like to hear comments re Ballistic Advantage and Faxon barrels.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/13/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have both Ballistic Advantage & Faxon barrels you can't go wrong with either....Both are very accurate Barrels...I have four AR15s with Ballistic Advantage and a couple with Faxon all will shoot under 1" at a Hundred....Both have very nice finishes and the Machining Looks perfect.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That is the kind of feedback i was looking for.

Thanks!!!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Completely anecdotal but my pal has a Faxon and can't stop talking about it. He is a former army sniper FWIW>

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just received one of the Faxon pencil Barrels yesterday....Man is this nice and Light...I am going out to the shop and put this one together!!!! should come in right around 5 lbs..

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both Kreiger & WOA barrels & the next lighter weight build will be with a Faxon barrel.
For an adjustable gas block, SLR is the top of the heap, IMO.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I just received one of the Faxon pencil Barrels yesterday....Man is this nice and Light...I am going out to the shop and put this one together!!!! should come in right around 5 lbs..

KMM,

Have you shot that barrel yet? If so, how good is it?

Thanks.

MM

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm no expert at anything, but the upper that TWR built for me with a Faxon nitrided pencil barrel does around an inch for three rounds of XM198.

With Nosler 55 BT's and the book load of CFE-223 it does around 3/4" for the first 5 or 6 shots. Get the barrel really hot and it stays under 2 moa.

The only real fault that I can find is that it hates all the 55 grain Hornady spire points that I got so cheap.

Ridge

Last edited by ridge; 03/18/17.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate the responses on the barrels. As a result of that feedback I've selected a stainless/fluted 18" Faxon .308 with a fluted heavy barrel contour and a nitride finish. The weight comes in at 2.31 pounds.

Have an "old man +1" birthday coming up next week and gave my wife a joeboboutfitters link to the barrel. Won't know if she got it until I get back from Toronto.

In the meantime, a BCM Gunfighter charging handle with the medium length latch and an Aero nitrided BCG has arrived.

Bought a thread protector for the barrel and am postponing any decision as to what to cap the barrel with. For now, probably just a cheap but fairly effective brake like I have on my Ruger .308 Scout.

Two remaining questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with linear compensators? I am particularly interested to know if they have an adverse affect on accuracy.

2. Does anyone have experience with the POF Adjustable gas block?
[Linked Image]

Thanks in advance for any responses to the two questions.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/22/17.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No one has experience with the POF Dictator gas block?

Guess it doesn't matter, After looking into gas blocks further I've decided to go with the SLR adjustable gas block recommended by MontanaMan. I also plan to buy the SLR dimple jig.

[Linked Image]

The barrel is on order, should arrive on Monday. Faxon stainless/QPQ nitride/fluted heavy contour, 2.31 lbs.

[Linked Image]

Still looking for feedback on linear comps with regard to effect on accuracy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure that you'll be happy with the SLR; the only other adjustable gas block that I'd like to try is the Superlative version since it actually bleeds off excess gas............not sure what that will to to the rail though, but I like the concept of bleeding off the excess.

I think you'll be happy with the Faxon barrel as well; not sure though how much, if any precision is lost on a stainless barrel when it's nitrided. I can only repeat what both WOA & Compass Lake Eng. both told me & that was that they don't nitride any of their barrels as you never really get a nitrided barrel to completely break-in because of the nitrided surface.

How much that matters, I don't really know.

Looks nice a really nice build coming together for you though.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm too lazy to go take pictures and upload them, but I have before and after pictures/targets with two 223 ARs with an A2,a Spec War 556, and the two KAW Valley Linear comps I am using now. There was a large POI change (expected, of course), but accuracy was not affected at all. (Meaning they still shoot very well and the linear comps didn't hurt a thing.)

I like them enough I just recommended them to a friend a few months ago. He got one and likes his, too. I don't have a decibel meter or anything, but it seems like they are a little quieter, esp. when I am to the side oft the rifle with the linear on it. I couldn't feel any recoil reduction between it and an A2 or bare muzzle, but I wanted it for the other shooters at the line or for gophers, etc.

Can't help with the brands of adjustable gas blocks you asked about. A friend has an old Seekins (IIRC). It works. I've been using a gen 1 Syrac for four years now and like it.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats interesting on the nitriding, I"m going to have to ask Nez his opinion on that...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IDMilton
I've been using a gen 1 Syrac for four years now and like it.

Is Syrac still in business?

I've not been able to get any of their products & some sources say "discontinued".

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MM, I Googled them, and their page isn't up. I bought mine four years ago.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Purchased the SLR Sentry 7 block, SLR dimple jig and a stainless gas tube a few minutes ago. Should have the barrel and all the parts I need to finish the rifle in 2-3 days.

Not likely I'll get to shoot it next weekend but am hoping to do so.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All done!

Daughter #3 is getting married this weekend so I won't get to shoot it for a while.

[Linked Image]

Aero Precision lower, upper, BCG and lower parts kit.
Faxon fluted/heavy 416R stainless QPQ .308 Win barrel.
SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block.
Infinite Product Solutions thread protector.
Mentium 15" Slim M-Lok Free Float Handguard.
UTG quick release scope mount.

Will add BUIs later.

[Edited to add]

The balance point depends on whether the stock is collapsed or extended. Extended it is in the middle of the mag well. Collapsed it is about a half inch further forward. Really glad I got the fluted barrel.

[End edit]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/05/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Velly, velly nice !!!!!!!!

I think you'll be happy.

MM

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Looks good! Are you going to add a muzzle brake?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Looks good! Are you going to add a muzzle brake?

Yes, but have not decided which one. Plan to get a suppressor eventually. Had planned to do so this year but looks like next now. Two other rifles to buy this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.