-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
On a slow day, google bad Hornady ammo and bullets. Page after page of bad ammo and bullets. As a past lifetime Hornady user, I don't see how the guys stay in business. Personally confronted Steve Hornady at DSC. He could have cared less when I showed him the exploded brass and gmx bullet in their premium load. Good luck!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably kinda sorta maybe a good reason for a non handloader to give a pass to Creednation.

For me anyway..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore
Light primer strikes? Hornady brass seems notoriously undersized in my experience.

Agree and 243 is one of the worst.

SD300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No response from Hornady on the misfires. I suppose that means they don't care.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SD300
Originally Posted by jk16
Frankly, your time is better spent cpntacting the mgf immefiately than it is posting in a net forum.

Only Hornady can fix the issue. They made the ammo.

And no- in my 35 years of using Hornady ammunition- misfires are NOT common. Never seen them in Hornady ammo.

Contact them with the lot number on the box.Most likley they will want any used round to examine ..

So, you don't think it's worthwhile to post about a misfire problem to see if other people have had issues and to warn people of a possible problem with certain ammo?

I contacted Ruger when I had problems with one of their rifles. The Customer service told me don't use that ammo. Don't use this ammo. Use only Gorilla ammo and never use reloads.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

SD300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Now I'm thinking it may have been the rifle that caused the misfires. I shot 20 rounds of reloads I loaded yesterday and one of them did not fire on the first strike but a second try made it go bang.

I took apart the bolt assembly and didn't notice it being dirty or anything obviously wrong. Maybe the spring is too weak?

Too bad Hornady never got back to me. I will feel bad about complaining about their ammo if it turns out to be a problem with my new MRC.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Now I'm thinking it may have been the rifle that caused the misfires. I shot 20 rounds of reloads I loaded yesterday and one of them did not fire on the first strike but a second try made it go bang.

I took apart the bolt assembly and didn't notice it being dirty or anything obviously wrong. Maybe the spring is too weak?

Too bad Hornady never got back to me. I will feel bad about complaining about their ammo if it turns out to be a problem with my new MRC.

How did you contact Hornady? I always get faster results when I call.

Have not used Hornady ammo since I started reloading. However, when I did, I never had anything less than good results.

If you have a dial caliper, your firing pin should protrude around .050" from the bolt face.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Quit whinning!

SD300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I sent an email to Hornady. I would think they would have responded at least to acknowledge receiving it.

I will send an email to MRC now.

It protrudes about 0.060".

SD300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Quit whinning!

crazy

Ok, I'm done whining. cool

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
.060" is good.

I have sent emails to manufacturers before. They have all answered, usually within two weeks. It has proved to be the slowest way to get a response in my experiance.

However, I usually get an immediate resolution via phone. You just have to get the right department.

Hornady is a solid company. I cannot imagine under any circumstances that they would not remady this. Would be surprised if they did not send you out a couple boxes of ammo...and a Hornady patch and stickers.

Good luck.

SD300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
.060" is good.

I have sent emails to manufacturers before. They have all answered, usually within two weeks. It has proved to be the slowest way to get a response in my experiance.

However, I usually get an immediate resolution via phone. You just have to get the right department.

Hornady is a solid company. I cannot imagine under any circumstances that they would not remady this. Would be surprised if they did not send you out a couple boxes of ammo...and a Hornady patch and stickers.

Good luck.

I'm not convinced it was an issue with bad hornady ammo after having a misfire with my reload too. What are the odds that I get two bad factory cartridges and then one from my reloads?

I've never had a misfire in a rifle cartridge. I rarely shoot factory ammo but I thought I'd start with factory ammo for break-in of the new rifle.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
How snug is the extractor holding the case head to the bolt body?
If it allows the case head to move, you may be reducing that .060" to .040".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then throw in undersized brass in an oversized chamber. What kinda headspace on your reloads?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One item of note: I had a misfire using factory Prvi 7x57 in my MRC ASR. When I looked at the primer, it was barely dented, not enough for ignition. I stripped the bolt and cleaned the factory grease off the springs, etc., and put everything back together. I've had no issues since. Just a thought.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I haven't shot any Hornady ammo in quite a while, but might they have harder primers, which can be a cause of misfires?

I use only Federal primers and my handloads always fire. But I tried some Nosler factory ammo that failed to fire more than half the time. Primers had decent dents, but less than my Federal primed loads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put a 38 special case over the shoulder and measure a fired case and a factory case. Or if you have a comparator.

SD300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RevMike
One item of note: I had a misfire using factory Prvi 7x57 in my MRC ASR. When I looked at the primer, it was barely dented, not enough for ignition. I stripped the bolt and cleaned the factory grease off the springs, etc., and put everything back together. I've had no issues since. Just a thought.

Yeah, I had the same thought as well. When I got back from shooting, I stripped the bolt and cleaned the spring with some aerosol action cleaner. It really didn't look too dirty or had an obvious large amount of grease on it.

I wish I would have done that before ever firing a shot or at least right after the problem with the factory ammo.

SD300 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 16bore
Then throw in undersized brass in an oversized chamber. What kinda headspace on your reloads?

I'll try to measure it up when I get home from work tonight.

One thing to note on the reloads: I loaded up the new unfired primed GFL brass that is for sale here: link

Maybe brass fired in my chamber would be more reliable instead of new brass. I'll try to see how much the brass moved after firing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quite a bit better and all virgin brass is undersized. Once fired in your chamber and you can control minimum headspace.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.