Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
If the .300 Ultra Mag. that you are considering has a muzzle brake, strongly consider using something else. PH's and trackers HATE muzzle brakes.

RS

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah,they suck for a couple shots but they are a brutally painful nightmare as a PH that has a dozen guys a year shoot with a brake at 7-10 or more animals each. Now that PH is exposed to a hundred or even a couple hundred blasts a season!

I'm certainly no fan! Especially when a 30/06 is plenty and anyone can shoot that cartridge! Never understood the whole muzzle brake concept personally.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I used that caliber and bullet on an Alaskan coastal black bear. Killed it DRT. Used 165 gr. Nosler solid base on 3 caribou with 300 RUM. Again, they worked great too.

BTW: I have a break on my 300 RUM. Yes, it's loud, but makes my RUM shoot like a .243. Best $145 I ever spent. And, that's what they make ear plugs for.. If I go to Africa, I'll have lots to pass out to the PH and trackers.

Last edited by hunter01; 03/28/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No African experience at all - but I shot a largish boar with a 338-06 and 210-grain partitions. I mention it here because I was shooting Weatherby factory ammo and about 10 rounds (out of 2 boxes) had the lead tip completely broken off and they were laying loose in the box. I understand Norma loads ammo for Weatherby and have long experience with their excellent quality ammo, so the issue probably lay with handling during shipping. While I did not test the rounds on paper, I've used them on game and I experienced no problem.

On the issue of muzzle breaks, several minutes after I shot my hog, my friend tagged an eating sized sow with his 6mm Remington. It was sporting a muzzle break (why brake a 6mm Remington is an issue for another post) and everyone in our party was DEAFENED by the report. Never want to experience that again. Handing out ear protection to the PH and staff in the middle of a stalk may not be a practical plan. Can the brake be removed for hunting to save those around you from bleeding ears?

Last edited by kevinh1157; 03/28/17.

Kevin Haile
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
OMG....
What a silly question to ask.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
...I have shot a 16-17 Plains game in Africa, with a bow. Your 300 mag is more than enough....
eland was the largest I shot and went down the quickest. Its hide was thinner than a whitetail hide.

Don't matter, nor does it matter Brit Boddington took her eland with 7mm/08 200yd, nor that a hunter took his eland
195yd with .303 SxS 175gn RNSP under 2000mv..!..nor that Allen Day took buffalo with 300win,..etc, etc ,etc,
cause the alternate universe myth of African game being exponentially tougher than anything else on the globe will still
perpetuate..Logic & decades of empirical evidence showing anything that bleeds the same you can kill the same,
be damned.

did I miss anything?.. grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by hunter01
I used that caliber and bullet on an Alaskan coastal black bear. Killed it DRT. Used 165 gr. Nosler solid base on 3 caribou with 300 RUM. Again, they worked great too.

BTW: I have a break on my 300 RUM. Yes, it's loud, but makes my RUM shoot like a .243. Best $145 I ever spent. And, that's what they make ear plugs for.. If I go to Africa, I'll have lots to pass out to the PH and trackers.

Before you just take it with you, I'd ask the PH what he thinks about muzzle brakes. I'm no expert on Africa but I do know most PH's and trackers don't like them, and it's not reasonable for them to have to put in plugs every time you shoot, or that they would have time or remember each time.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by TRACT_Optics
especially important if you plan to stalk Kudu.

Originally Posted by JJHACK

As far as being worried about shooting a Kudu at long range? Kudu live in the thickest bush available.

You'll need to forgive me, this was my attempt at humor/sarcasm, albeit unsuccessful. I was in brick-throwing distance of each Kudu at the time of the shot. I should have put a emoticon at the end of the sentence...

On the topic of deformed tips however, I have heard and read reviews from both sides. I've just always subscribed to avoid a potential issue if there is a possibility of a problem (Murphy's law). At standard ranges, its agreed very little effect, if any, happens. I would like to test longer ranges, and as I mentioned at these ranges, where you may see issues. Gives me a fun experiment for a day. I would say starting at 300 yards going out to 600 yards. While not very common in Africa, a common Pronghorn distance here is the US.

A little off topic, but would be fun to maybe do a side by side test of two distant weighted partitions. Also, to see the degree of damage/deformation, if any, needed to change POI substantially

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done it, used side cutters to snip off the tip with a severe pinched jacket/lead tip as the result, out to 300 yards shot from a 300 weatherby and a 30/06 there was no functional difference in accuracy from the perfect new bullets.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've used that combination on mule deer effectively but not in Africa,

However, I've used the 180 grain Nosler Protected Tip Partition in a 300 WSM at about 2975 fps MV to take about 25 PGs ranging from steenbok and impala to eland, zebra and kudu without any problems. I can't recall needing a 2nd shot on anything,

I definitely think your 300 RUM and 200 grain PT will work just fine. Enjoy your trip.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks so much for your info. Much appreciated. Booked for May of 2018. Can't wait. Wish I was leaving tomorrow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enjoy your trip.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Only 'silly' questions are the ones not asked. Always told my students that while teaching 30 years in the public schools.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Have a great trip but if I were you, I'd use 168 grain bullets. Less kick and they kill well. And if you can, leave the muzzle break at home. I once shot a zebra while resting the rifle over the PH's shoulder, while he stopped up one ear with his finger. No time to put in ear protection in a situation like that and nobody wants to wear it all the time because I'd deadens other sounds you want to hear.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.